Tyranids vs. Tau? yes or no - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranids vs. Tau? yes or no

My friend has a Tau Army and I'm thinking of starting a Tyranid army. I'm wandering if this is a good or bad choice. I know my friend has the following things

Devilfish Transport and fire warriors
    XV8 battlesuit team
    Fire Warrior squad
    Kroot Carnivore Squad
    Hammerhead Tank
    Pathfinders
    Pathfinders with rail rifles

So are tyranids a good army to take him on? I'll take any advice or army lists or playing styles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say nids are amazing against tau if you play with a reasonable amount of terrain on the board. As long as you make at least 90% of you nids built for cc you should do fine (providing you reach combat of course!). Tau are nearly useless in cc and will do anything to slow you down. Remember to use lots of cheap gaunts (preferably spinegaunts) to soak up fire from the bigger guys.

Good luck.
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

As is the recent trend, I would concur with Mr. Talon. If the Tau catch you in the open, might as well reach across the table, shake hands and say good game. If you can keep to cover you stand a pretty good chance of reaching combat and then its game over.
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my bestfriend plays Tau and the only time i have beaten him is when he plays the battlesuit list or there was alot of terain. the more leaping and winged guys you bring the better. you need to get there fast. dont hide in the terain or he'll wait for you. go go go go.. run in and eat thier funny looking heads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont play tyrannids or tau, but i'd say take weenies (anything can take tau in cc, although possibly watch out for the kroot) with wings or big legs (you know, leaping and fleet of claw and things). i hear 'stealers have FoC now, so that should help. I'd say a winged hive tyrant would be best: his MC bonus would help for taking out tough battle suits and tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently played a 500 pointer against Tau and all it took was my Winged Tyrant to reach the Tau lines and he was gone. He had lost everything by turn 4.
    Here are some Tyranid items I have going on Ebay!
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdubba07QQhtZ-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

taking a tyrant in a 500pt battle is unfair for tau. that is not balanced. i kinda feel bad for the sucker that agreed to that game. poor tau

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Tyranids are a very good army. My second favorite (after chaos). But you shouldn't start an army based soley on your friend. Do nids fit your playing style? In my opinion nids should always be kitted out for cc anyway, so it's all good.

On another note, whats not to feel sorry for with tau? Their short little blue midgets... Yes they have big guns, but if you ask me their trying to back up for something...(or lack of something) :lol:
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Most tau can be killed with Gaunts. Which is sad. But all you need to do is terrain hop to the enemy and attack. Tyranids would be quite fun with this. And if you play large tables you could even have a firefight if you take a few Carnifi. But, just give things wings and rush the length of the feild and assault. Or you can take a broodlord with genesteelers and infiltrate right near them then assault.

If I were you, I'd play Tyranids, they're great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaet
    taking a tyrant in a 500pt battle is unfair for tau. that is not balanced. i kinda feel bad for the sucker that agreed to that game. poor tau
    In the old rules tyranids were just as bad in 500pt games. Tau would just pound ur Warriors* with big guns, u'd loose synapse and ur creatures would all go all instinctive. Obviously now with no instant kill their survivability is greatly increased so we are the winn0rs.

But yer, Tau vs Nids is always a fun games. It's usually all or nothing. U'll either rip 'em to shreads or be left a steaming pile on the battlefield.

*Taking a tyrant in 500pt games imo is silly cos if its winged it'll outrun ur gaunts with its synapse and walking its half ur points out of CC for far too long.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast