BANG!! (a.k.a. I Love C'tan) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BANG!! (a.k.a. I Love C'tan)

i just playtested my first C'tan (actually a small pony on a flyng stand).

my opponent (IG) held an open bunker with his command squad, and had two units of guardsmn with hardened veterans and sharpshooters and other stuff like that. he had to, on a five plus with his Master Vox, call in the rest of his army (which included 2 tanks, 3 units of peopl, a platoon command squad, and another command squad which had standard bearers etc. im not too sure about IG stuff, but he had a basilisk, which hurts.

i had 2x10 warriors (squad shiny and squad legless), lord with Phyl, Res Orb and D field (Phil), 5x scarabs with d fields (chudmonkeys) and... the Deceiver (Big Phat Angel of Death).

i basically marched implacably forwards, and got one of his units to runa away first turn with deceive from BPAD. my chudmonkeys went to tie up his other unit of guardsmen and died. well done there. then, his runa awaay squad (squad A) ran back to in front of the bunker and shot. then, they all ran backwards. Squad legless, finally in RF range, massacred squad A, and squad shiny slaughtered his command squad, so i won. however, we thought that this was not an intersting battle, so i let him use his last remaining Vox to call for reinforcements. for a fifth time, he failed to get a 5+, and so ran behind the bunker. squads shiny and legless advaced around the sides and each picked off one guardsmen, and BPAD jumped through the bunker (i love c'tan...) and killed all except the Vox caster.

i allowed my friend his reinforcements anyway, and after a few turns of pie plating had wiped out my warriors. however, considereing that i had already won 3 times at this point (killing Master Vox, killing his entire army and routing his last Vox off the field), my friend waived the Phase Out circumstance. I hadn't got to really test my deceiver yet.

BPAD and Phil, my remaining troops, carrired on advancing, and now my opponent's entire army was focused on killing BPAD. several turns of pie plates, multimeltas and various other weapons of fiery fiery death later, they had got some lucky rolls and removed three wounds from the BPAD. Only two more remaining...

then came combat. BPAD charges his tank (front armour 14), and destroys, destroys, immobilises and stuns it. BANG!!

now my opponent makes his mistake. he charges his entire remaining army on the deceiver and has started combat by the time he realizes: none of his troops can actually harm it. Literally.

i charged Phil in to the combat sheerly to avoid the basilisk, and he got owned. well, BPAD, it's up to you...

several turns of my friend's screaming guardsmen running from the battle and then being dragged back into the melee by a slightly peeved star god with high consolidation rolls, and the Deceiver stands alone amid a cloud of settling dust. i pick up the dice for my consolidation roll: the basilisk is 18" away, and it is my opponent's (henceforth known as weedy) turn. unless i get a six, im coming under a lot of fire next round, and with only two wounds remaining, i did not fancy my chances if it came to shooting.

A SIX!! consolidate, move, charge, 5 penetrating hits, and the battle was over.

To summarize; after taking no (significant) casuaties in the first stage of the battle( i.e. only scarabs). and three victories, my warriors are shredded by a basilisk and several squads of angry but rather tardy guardsmen. my lord is cut down in the first round of combat, and my deceiver (the WEAK c'tan) proceeds to eat his way through the rest of a 1200 pt IG army. Shazam.

Well, i think i can only say one thing about the c'tan. BANG!!

btw, can someone post the base size of a normal c'tan, or at least a model with the same size base as it. i think it is the same as a scarab base, is this true? my mum can make a clear *flying stand* base , i just need to know the size...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi
    Yes base size of the C'tan Deceiver is the same as a scarab base.
    Just got me a Deceiver, so look forward to using him now.....lots of points though
    cheers
    Neil
    2200 point Necron army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reading this i feel somewhat dumber because of what you call your units

but decievers i hear can really mess units up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really think this should be in the battle reports section but hell what do i care

assaulting IG and winning isnt a really great achievement, from what i know(which isnt much) IG are the worst overall army at assaulting or maybe Tau... not sure anyways the nightbringer is still the coolest lookin C'tan god though
    The people who survive are the winners
    The people who enjoy survival are the champions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm surprised it wasn't closer. You really should have spent some more points on WBB eligible models. If he had brought up more big guns and some luck, you might have seen yourself disappearing before your C'tan got to munch through those units.

I agree with two comments:

I.G. is really easy to beat in combat, and
    Naming your units like that lowers my opinion of your game.

If he had taken two basilisks, or a whole bunch of heavy weapons, and succeeded in taking out your warriors, you'd have been in trouble. What was left if you hadn't allowed him to bring in his reinforcements? Did he have a sizable force left? Anything left? It didn't sound like you'd killed it all...

Also, why did he need a 5+ to call his reinforcements in? If this was turn two, he'd only need a 4+, turn three a 3+, etc... So I don't understand....

Try to play one without such a high HQ army. It sounds like they were half of your points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by untitledmike
    Yeah, I'm surprised it wasn't closer. You really should have spent some more points on WBB eligible models. If he had brought up more big guns and some luck, you might have seen yourself disappearing before your C'tan got to munch through those units.

I agree with two comments:

I.G. is really easy to beat in combat, and
    Naming your units like that lowers my opinion of your game.

If he had taken two basilisks, or a whole bunch of heavy weapons, and succeeded in taking out your warriors, you'd have been in trouble. What was left if you hadn't allowed him to bring in his reinforcements? Did he have a sizable force left? Anything left? It didn't sound like you'd killed it all...

Also, why did he need a 5+ to call his reinforcements in? If this was turn two, he'd only need a 4+, turn three a 3+, etc... So I don't understand....

Try to play one without such a high HQ army. It sounds like they were half of your points.
    I'm sorry about my unit naming: squad shiny was named as such because it contained my single fully-painted warrior- kick*** painting if i say so myself- and squad legless was so called because it contains Billy No-leg, who, after a tragic accident involving a tau rail gun and a small sheep, had to replace his with a prosthetic gauss limb.

squad coward was named like this because, with a leadership of 10, it failed the first 'Deceive' check i threw at it. Nothing interesting happened to or in squad B, except that it massacred my scarabs and was the only IG unit to have a surviving member (ran off the board with an 'all on your own' check).

on Mr Shiny i have painted a heiroglyph, and i intend to do that to all of my models to designate their unit once they are all painted.

The 5+ was part of the scenario that we made up: the fluff was that as a small IG patrol is sent to investigate a settlement which they lost contact with (represented by a demolished building, and with bust bunkers around it), they see movement in the trees and a bolt of green stuff flies overhead and hits a guardsman, who they consequently fired out of a lascannon to try to slow the necron assault. The command squad dives into a bunker, the Master Vox calling very hard for reinforcements, as the guardsmen scramble to defend their position. The rets of the army had to cross difficult terrain to get onto the board, the 5+ represents them not being able to make it on time, but when he would get the roll, the entire army would come on.

I killed the master vox, technically ending the battle, but i wanted to further test the deceiver, so we carried on, and i let him use his last remaining Vox to call. That Vox caster was the only remaining guardsmen of the original patrol, and he ran off the board after a failed 'all on your own' check.

of course i would never usually play a c'tan in 1000 pts, but i wanted to test them for their playability in future games, and see how much fun they were to use to rip apart guardsmen.

i would have phased, if my opponent had not waived the rule to allow us to continue playing, considering that i had already won 3 times and had allowed him his reinforcements after 5 failed rolls.

hope that clears it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With what i have read of the scenario I frankly woulnd't consider that much of a victory at all. If you really wanted to test the unit out try it in a straight game not one with a bunch of additional rules as that is how the game is meant to be played and therefore can be the only real "test" of any unit. Good luck in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, get it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Played my nightbringer for the first time yesterday in a 1350pt game. My brother wanted to play a 1500pt army, and I wanted to play my necrons(just started the army about a month ago) So all my necron units fell just under 1350. By the end of turn 4 it was able to take out his hive tyrant its 2 gaurds, and his fex. It had suffered 4 wounds, then on turn5 it was killed by a broodlord. I was happy with how it played. If it wasnt for the nightbringer I dont think I could have killed the MC's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

if u wana test the nightbringer, go against a WHOLE khornate army or let a unit of 10 SM termies charge n have a go. then see how he fares..... now those i have accomplished, but he was nearly pulp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast