Are Feral Orks Cheese - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Feral Orks Cheese

Hi all,
    I have a question for all of you. My record as it stand right now with feral orks is 5/0. However, my problem is I have two friends that are calling the army I use and the list itself very cheesey and not fitting with any ork theme. They both think that feral orks should be better at hand to hand than normal orks, after all, they reason, why should orks who lack technology be better at shooting. One of my friends plays Iron Hands. The other day we played a 2000 pt game in which he knew I was taking orks. As a result he took 15 heavy bolters among other weapons. My list had 60 madboys, 40 huntas with rockets, and three massive sqigoths, among other things. While my army took massive casualties coming in, even with my grot screen, once I got into HtH my madboys wiped the floor with his marines, and my "lowly" and untouched huntas managed to destroy two marine squads with shooting alone.

At the end of the battle he called the feral orks army list very un orkish and cheesey. (Even I will admit, squiqoths are a bargain for the points).

So I was wondering if my fellow ork lovers out there also found the feral orks to be overpowered or unfair to play with.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this long post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I don't really think that Feral Orks are cheesy and I've played against them many many times at my local store. One of the players uses TWO gargantuan squiggoths and I've still beat him multiples times. Of course, when he whoops up on me, it's usually a good whoopin. Ouch.

Of course, I'm one of those crazy players who has a few flamers in every single army list I make with the exception of my Tau army. I find that Orks have a very difficult time dealing with flamers and I just use my commands squads of flaming death to (Three flamers and a heavy flamer in my IG army) wipe out whole mobs of Orks.

Yeah, the Feral Ork shooting is better than the regular Ork shooting, but look at all of the other great stuff you are exchanging for a better BS. No good vehicles, no bikes, no dreadnaughts, no killa kans.... ect. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think they get grots. (None of the FO players here use Grots...)

Instead all you really get are some awesome dinosaurs and mobs and mobs of Orks. Which means they had BETTER be able to shoot well, cause their weapons choices and mobility are drastically reduced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can make just about any army cheese but I like the Feral Orks cos you have to employ a different set of tactics to beat them. Rather than counting on supperior guns you have to meet them on all fronts whilst trying to keep your trump cards alive.
    A Rhino? SLOTH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thank you for the responses. Hourglass, this is exactly what I told my friends. Yes, I get many cool and powerful units, however I give us a lot of versitility. Feral Orks can take grots, however, as my last opponent was smary enough to anniliate them with shooting on the first turn, i will not be taking them any more. One thing I want to try is boarboys. Has anyone had any luck with them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

well, I am also new to orks, and the only FO list that could possibly be called cheese is the all madboyz list

6 squads of 20 madboyz, each w/dok and 3 styboyz and rokkits
    3 massive squiggoths w/kannons
    a squad of boarboyz w/all cyboars and nob w/burna, iron gob, and flashfurs

and a warboss w/ super cyboar, burna, choppa, iron gob, flashfurs, and shiny bits to lead the squad of boarboyz

basically you have 5 squads of str. 5 madboyz and a squad of str 4 boarboyz led by a mini-warboss (the doped up boarboy nob) and an actual warboss. This is assuming of course that you make all the rolls for your pigdoks to dope up units.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you have anti-horde from the masses of madboyz and the 9 kannons (frag)
    you have anti armor with the 9 kannons (krak), the 6 rokkits, and the Boss and mini-boss with their burnas

Seeing as how your list looks nothing like this, of course it isnt cheesy. If your friends would actually read the feral orks fluff, they would see that it makes perfect sense for them to have a BS 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

If you decide to use boarboyz, my suggestion is to not run just one large unit. Run several, and use them as skirmishers to batter all who oppose you. I'd actually suggest using your pigdok to dope up your boarboyz if you take them, and forgo the strength 5 of the madboyz. Why, you ask? Because having two units with strength four is better then having a unit with strength 5 and another (the one that will actually REACH the enemy faster then the other) have strength 3.
    It's good to see that you're using huntas, by the way. In my mind, a cheesy feral ork list is six squads of feral orks and three massive squiggoths. You actually have a very good firebase for your units with the kannons on the squiggies and the shootas from the huntas. Good job.
    As for them being cheesy... wha? The stats on most of the feral orks is exactly from 2nd edition. They're supposed to represent a tribe of orks that rely on hunting (that would be the shootas) less then on running up to the giant things in front of them and whacking them with a choppa. Just remind your friend that what he's basically facing is a squad of imperial guardsmen with a better gun, a better toughness, and worse leadership and saves. And then proceed to crush his army list anyway.
    The army is still weak against armour, like any ork list should be. Maybe drop a squiggoth and add in a battery of lobbas. Or, just do what I do, and ignore the guy.
    Cheesy... bah!
    "Some days you're the Mekboy building the kannon, the rest you're the grot being blown up by it."
    - Quote attributed to Sorkrates, before his much mourned death due to ingestion of Hemsquig Juice.

"Dis iz my choppa, and herez me gun. Dat's for killin' and so'z dis one!"
    - Bloodaxe Kommando Warchant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use cyboars as for my nobz retinue which accompanies my Boss on a supercyboar. They get 5/6 attacks on the charge each and are as a ferocious an HQ as I've ever played. At 2000 points I have a Weirboy and nine Brutes, ten Huntas, eighty Madboyz, 24 Gretchin and two heavy Squiggoths and for flavour a herd of 15 squighounds. I carry seven rockkit launchas, six burnas and two kannons plus a few big shootas here and there. The force includes five Pigdocs and seven Nobz total.
    I do not consider this a cheesy army at all. If I manage to get into H2H it gets ugly for my opponent but i've had a Archo and eight Incubi take out three mobz of boys in a game and a squad of Wulfen take out two mobz of boys. Mind you at 185 points a mob its not so bad. I find that when you field a force this large your opponent gets the heebee jeebees from the getgo the first time he plays them. So I can win battles by capitalizing on my opponent's uncertainties. But those familiar with Feral Orks can rip me apart if I'm not careful. Madboyz rock but if the dice gods are against you, the game can be a disaster.
    Now 5-0 is an impressive record but i can assure that there are a nunber of armies and generals out there that can and will pick aa Feral Ork list to bits. Dark Eldar, Necrons, IW and Craftworld Eldar can all be a lot cheesier than Feral Orks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the responses. After i won again the other day, he admitted that this army is forcing him to rethink his tactics, which is a good thing. I do run three full squads of madboys, along with 40 odd huntas, and thirty grots. (It is my opinion that armies heavy in troops do well almost all of the time). I do have three massive squigoths, but I like the TLRL better than cannons, since I am not sure that the cannons actually get the pie plate of doom. I also ran thirty trapas. When he saw them on the battlefield he laughed at them. However is first two turns of shooting destroyed all of them. Which was exactly what I wanted.

One thing I learned from these games is I need boarboys. And because he singled out and destroyed my grot screen with the firing of only two units (dang break tests) I might not take them again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like your friend's just turnin' a little green. maybe in more ways than one.

i've tried to make a feral orks list many times without using several gargantuan squigoths, i just cant do it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont you need 2 mandatory squadz of huntuz?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast