Thinking of starting Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting Eldar

I've been thinking of starting up an Eldar army using one of the craftworld army lists and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? The people who i play at Games Workshop and other places usually only use Chaos, Marines, IG, Nids or Necrons and i've literally never played against Eldar so I have no idea on their style of play.

Can anyone for example tell me what the strength and weaknesses of certain craftworlds or have any suggestions on which I should play? I'm kinda of a newb and play Emperor's Children chaos at the moment though i usually do win I dont have a lot of complex tactics, lol. Their guns make for easy decisions.

Right now i've been considering Iyanden, Biel-Tan or Alaitoc. I would REALLY like to use Iyaden but the only thing that makes me consider the others is the extreme cost of buying all those Wraithguard, plus i have no idea how effective they are.

Also if anyone has any army suggestions for what I should start out buying i'm open to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every craftworld has a completely different play style.

Saim-Hann specializes in Fast attack they use jetbikes, tanks and any other fast unit.
    Alaitoc specializes in snipers, and gets ranger disruption before the game starts.
    Biel-Tan uses Aspect Warriors and focuses on a medium sized elite army.
    Ulthwe uses psychic powers and guardians get a boost in either shooting or close combat.
    Iyanden Uses a small force of mostly Wraithguard and Wraithlord.

I would read the Craftworld Eldar codex to see which style appeals most to you.

From what I have seen Biel-Tan, Alaitoc, and Ulthwe are the most widely used.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i cant say i recommend iyanden due to the extreme costs and inneffectivness of wraithguard, unless they beefed them up immensly in the new codex, whenever it arrives, they aren't worth it.
    As R/C said, the beauty of the eldar is the diversity of style, even among the same craftword you can play totally different styles. I'd figure out how you want to the army to play.

Ulthwe are short on aspects but can field enhanced guardians and the oft lamented (by others) Seer Council of psychic death. Tend more toward the shooty side with it's limited aspects bolstering close support and shooting.
    Beil-tan are very diverse as your troop choices are drawn from any of the aspects, so you could use reapers and have a very shooty army, or scorpions and banshee in wave serpents and be very combat based. Problem is they are nearly all metal mini's and a tough army as you have limited troops who really aren't that tough but deliver a hell of a blow.
    Alaitoc are an interesting one, the most successful lists i've seen have combined large numbers of small ranger squads with rapid elements so that when your opponent has his line weakened by the distruption table they can take immediate advantage.
    There really isn't a downside to aliatoc, they play just like a vanilla list but have to take 2 units of rangers before compulsary, meaning you can end up a little troop heavy with rangers and this can lead to you struggling against horde armies, but if you stack your other choices for massed infantry death you should be fine.
    Those are the most commonly used craftworlds and the styles, i suggest you get an idea of how you want your army to fight, as starting out you wont have the depth of troops to switch styles and then decide which craftworld meets that list best, that or re-post and see what people suggest.
    Ask not a question of the eldar, for they will give you three answers all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally reccomend Iyanden. Cost is high, but you don't need as many minatures as beil-tan, so it works out about the same. My lists have a core of wraith units, usually 2 squads of 5 guard and 2 wraithlords. I then add an avatar, a farseer kitted out to support the lords, guardians to bulk out numbers wise and a couples of things like fire prisms to provide long ranged support as I advance. Convieniently, this leaves me with about 300 points when I am going for 1500, so I can take pretty much anything I like there, which could be another lord and an avatar.

Play wise, Iyanden are fundamentally short ranged, with just the lords guns and whatever heavy support you buy to cover your advance. The trick is to make sure your oppenent shoots what you want them to. Use deception to make them shoot something which doesn't matter at the time. As for wraithguard, they are brilliant, as long as they shoot the right thing. Against fire warriors, they have a S3 AP1 Assault 1 guns, nothing great. But against a carnifex, they can end up having S8. In addition, they insta kill on a roll to wound of a 6, allowing you to happily vaporise over confident chaos lords and such. With the new AP1 rules, they always penetrate on a 4+, one of the best monolith killers if they race up and jump out of a waveserpent. If you want any more evidence, I regularly win without taking a single casualty, and I recently beat my Tau freind in a 750pt secure and control game without taking a single wound! Good luck whatever craftworld you choose!
    Don't worry too much about life-it isn't permanent.

They say that a space marine is superhuman, a hundred times more powerful than a normal man. Mon-keigh, one hundred times zero is still zero.

Do you hear the screaming? Its Edward Scissorhands wanking...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

@thebear - umm, you said that against Tau your WG guns have str-3 but against a fex have strength 8!? The strength on the gun "X" (literally) means that they ALWAYS wound on 4+, how could (against a fex) it need a 2+? I would be considered str-6? I dunno, maybe a typo but just double check plz, I don't know of any rules for Iyanden but im pretty sure they dont get str-8 guns against T-6/7 models. As for the insta-kill thing that is true against everything except the Nightbringer and the Deciever (the two necron gods)(a.k.a. the beardy cheesey guys that reek much havoc in close combat). Again, just double check for me plz, thanks much.

rest @ thread starter - I would suggest looking in the army list section and try to see the lists of already made craftworld lists, see which you would most like playing with then make a list of your own.

P.S. - My list is the Biel-Tan list! Check it out now!

P.P.S.- Instead of going by what they do you could choose how I did, pick the one with the best colour scheme that fits to how you like them, then check out the models and see if you like them! (My banshees are what brought me to Biel-Tan, they are bleached bone and their armor is a metallic green, it sounds kinda bad but it looks uber sexy)
    Last edited by Emp.; June 16th, 2005 at 16:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

I recommend picking the army that is fun to play, IE you can actually win with it heh.. Color scheme doesnt matter cause you can paint your minis however you want and use whatever rule set you want. Unless you're a fluff king and need everything to be correct

I would DEFINATLY stay away from Iyanden due to the reasons mentioned above, they're just really not a good beginniner army cause you will lose most of your games and since you just spent 400$ on your army you will not be happy

I'd go with Ulthwe or Biel Tan for a good eldar mix (Biel Tan isnt much different than codex eldar unless you use more than 3 aspect squads).. They pack a good punch in terms of playability and give you many choices

I also wouldnt go with Alaitoc cause they're the kind of army where you win or lose before the game begins so why even buy models. Saim Hann is okay I suppose if you like vypers, I just dislike how they're supposed to be some uber jetbike riders and their bikes suck just as much as every other eldar jetbike so you're stuck using a ton of vypers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also Play Iyanden. It is a good army, but due to the intense strategy it is not a good beginning eldar army.

It has its advantages, Strength X guns, Lots of heavy weapon support, But also has its disadvantages. Low numbers and Wraithguard have short range.

I would not recommend it for a first eldar army, but wanted to point out both the good and bad. Not just the bad like people tend to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, meant S7, like you said, typo. As for the necron gods, I believe what you say is true, but can't confirm it as I don't have their rules.
    Don't worry too much about life-it isn't permanent.

They say that a space marine is superhuman, a hundred times more powerful than a normal man. Mon-keigh, one hundred times zero is still zero.

Do you hear the screaming? Its Edward Scissorhands wanking...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by thebear
    Sorry, meant S7, like you said, typo. As for the necron gods, I believe what you say is true, but can't confirm it as I don't have their rules.

It's dumb, in the necron codex under the god's area it specifically states that they cannot be instantly killed by the wraithguard's roll of a 6 from the wraithcannon. Necron's have so much crap against Eldar probably from the fluff of these two fighting to control the universe and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats a very good point. were necrons made deliberately to screw up eldar?!

anyway. what i did was flick through the codex and find units i liked, both fluffwise and rulewise.
    -aspect warriors won by far and reading the fluff for the beil-tan craftworld ie. the most militaristic craftworld that relies on its aspect warriors (ie the warriors, not some militia) to fight its wars.
    so now i play beil-tan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast