Thinking of Starting DE, so afew Q's. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Thinking of Starting DE, so afew Q's.

I am thinking of starting Dark Eldar as my next army having collected DA and Tau to 2000+pts.

I am attracted to thier individuality, I hate having an army which everyone does (Marines) and beieve that if few people commonly play DE I will have the advantage as they don't know what thier up against.

At 1500pts after a flick through the codex I was thinking of taking about 80 DE warriors with all manner of interesting ranged weapons, a couple of Deep striking Ravagers with disintegrators or Dark lances and either some Wyches or Jetbikes. Plus a lord without a Shadowfield as I think its unfair.

Is this idea feasible, I know I should get the codex.

Plus I read a bit of fluff, do DE eat other DE souls or is it just me?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would wait if I were you for the new Eldar Codex to come out, for what I hear is that Eldar and Dark Eldar are going to be consolidated into the same codex (since Commoragh was destroyed in Eye of Terror).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x5)

Thats the first time I have heard the rumour of A combined Eldar/Dark Eldar book. So far as I know Commoragh was not trashed during EoT, and I think I would remember an event that large.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

First and last I hope this rumour was debunked 6 months ago in two official GW interviews, so long ago that I can't remember the links, but you can find them with a search.

Dark Eldar will get there own codex when the time comes.

I'm pleased to see someone willing to start DE, thats brilliant, so I'll give you a few pointers.

Lots of warriors is good fantastic troops for their points, I would suggest some of the following configurations:

15-20 DE Warriors with a sybarite, agoniser, two splinter cannons and two blasters. (big splinter cannon squads, advance then charge, also good fro transporting WWP)

10 Warriors with 2 Dark Lances (sniper squads)

10 warriors 2 splinter cannons (small splinter cannon squad, fire support)

10 Warriors, Sybarite, splinter cannon, blaster, raider (assaulty boat)

5 warriors, Splinter cannon, blaster (Gun boat)

Don't deep strike your ravagers, its a waste, hold them back they can move 12 and fire one weapon at maximal and two at sustaine, so deepstrike actually slows them down.

Wyches are far better than jetbikes tehy are faster, cheaper, better in hand to hand, do you need more information?

Jetbikes can be cool as a support unit.

I am interested as to why you feel the shadow field is unfair? If you are not taking one do not take a lord, take a haemie as your obligatory hq with some grots, though I think you are making a big mistake. I am going to start antoehr thread about this shadow field question actually to address it among everyone.

Overall it seems quite feasible, simply don't dismiss the shadow field a t3 model with a 5+ save WILL be instant killed by something, probably a heavy bolter, or just cut up with a power weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DE use technology to overcome there weakness; so if your not going to take a shadowfield because its unfair why take dark lances either? Not to mention once you fail a save its gone. Quick story, my friend thought his lord was cool as a lone wraith charged in. The wyche retinue and lord failed to wound it. It attacked the lord and cause a wound. He failed his save and got instant killed because DE Lords are t3....

Anyway.... jetbikes are great for running down a flank and either assaulting or driving by and shooting two blasters and totalling tanks. Mass warriors is the way to go, for being the basic troop squad they get lots of firepower (as said above 2 splinter cannons and two blasters).
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x5)

From my flick through the codex, with the correct combat drugs a DE Lord can have 7 ish high Ws attacks wounding on a 4+ with re-rolls to hit and wound. Anything that lives through that deserves to get him.

I once lost a game to DE, he cheated with his FoF (using it with Incubi) but I was way out on top until his lord with shadow field took 17 wounds, didn't fail 1 and hacked through 2 tac squads with powerfist sargeants and a Captain. This did not amuse me at all. He then went on crowing about how good his tactics were when at 1 stage I had 2 tac squads, the captain and a Whirlwind left and he just had 2 Incubi and his Lord.

Loads of DE seem to me a good investment, lost of dark lances for "Big Game" Nid hunting and lots of decent Bs shredders and disintegrators for the Gremlins.

I dont know about a Raider though, they are the worst possible armour and are killed on a 4+ though thier potential charge range of 23" is excellant. If one is blown up, most of the Wyches on board will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Doom
    From my flick through the codex, with the correct combat drugs a DE Lord can have 7 ish high Ws attacks wounding on a 4+ with re-rolls to hit and wound. Anything that lives through that deserves to get him.

I once lost a game to DE, he cheated with his FoF (using it with Incubi) but I was way out on top until his lord with shadow field took 17 wounds, didn't fail 1 and hacked through 2 tac squads with powerfist sargeants and a Captain. This did not amuse me at all. He then went on crowing about how good his tactics were when at 1 stage I had 2 tac squads, the captain and a Whirlwind left and he just had 2 Incubi and his Lord.

Loads of DE seem to me a good investment, lost of dark lances for "Big Game" Nid hunting and lots of decent Bs shredders and disintegrators for the Gremlins.

I dont know about a Raider though, they are the worst possible armour and are killed on a 4+ though thier potential charge range of 23" is excellant. If one is blown up, most of the Wyches on board will die.
    Nothing in the DE Codex allows to re-roll wounds.

They absolute sauciest Lord (in my opinion) you can get is a Wych Archite armed with an Agoniser and a Punisher, equipped with Wych Weapons, ShadowField, Combat Drugs, Animus Vitae, Tormentor Helm, Plasma and Haywire Grenades.

This has the potential of Initiative eight rolling six attacks, which most likely hit on 3s, with rerolls, at Str six - power weapon.
    Or alternatively, you can rush in at Initiative eight, make the same six attacks that most likely hit on 3s, with rerolls, and always wound the enemy on a 4+ - power weapon.
    Then, the enemy is most likely going to hit back at half WS (usually needing 5s) and not count being double armed.
    If you do get hit, you'll likely be wounded where you get your 2+ inv Shadow Field save, backed up by your 4+ inv dodge save once you lose the Shadow Field.
    (whew)

The point where you lost two tac squads and your captain is a standard run for a DE Lord. You have to treat Archons/Archites like Demon Princes and Hive Tyrants (who could also eat half your marine army for lunch), and trust me, my DE Lord has eaten much more than just two measly tac squads and some pud captain. You got off easy.

Don't dismiss the Shadow Field as cheese either. Because I've had multiple games where my Lord has taken the mad punishment and lived because of the Shadow Field, and other games where one Multilaser or Assault Cannon gets past the Shadow Field and insta-kills her.

The ShadowField is basically standard kit for a DE Lord. I would never expect to see a librarian without a Force Weapon, a Necron Lord without a Res Orb (unless of course you're fighting nothing but terminators for a White Dwarf battle report), or a Hardwired Multitracker on a Shas'O.

-Edited to 'most likely hit on 3s' instead of 'hit on 3s' (which isn't always a definate (Eldar Avatar, some Monstrous Creatures)
    Last edited by MobiusPrime; June 17th, 2005 at 22:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x5)

Are the rules for that Wych Archite in the DE codex or do you need annother wych army list or something? That really does rule, however I as particularly annoyed by the 6 powerfist wounds put on the lord all of which were saved.

Can all DE lords have wych weapons? if so who needs the 2+ they are hitting you on a 5+.

I am very intrigued by DE looks, promising as an army to play tacticaly.
    Last edited by Silver Wings; June 17th, 2005 at 19:02.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Yes the archite is in the codex, however in a kabal army you cannot take one, however you can take a drachite (my personal favourite lord for monster hunting cause of the point break).

The raider will go down if it gets shot,t ahts why you make sure it doesn't get shot and thats not a potential 23" charge you have there its more.

12" Raider move -> 2" Deployment -> 1-6" FoF -> 6" assault its a 21-26" potential with a potential to reach 32" witht eh right drug,t hats why they are the fastest army out there.

You need to learn to use cover to keep your raiders safe until they have delivered they're paylaod in a raider heavy army (6+ raiders) losing 1 raider a turn is acceptable on average (probably more early and less late). Raiders are delivery mechanisms with the added bonus of a decent shot from the lance, theya re nto meant to survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x5)

I might keep a Raider full of Wyches at the back of my army ready to spring forward and counter assault any units hitting my DE warrior lines (thats the plan) however I see DE as a shooty rather than c.c force and natraly prefer shooty armies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast