Fairness of the Shadowfield - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Fairness of the Shadowfield

I have just read Wings of Doom's post on starting dark eldar and it made me wonder if anyone could give me a solid reason why the shadowfield is unfair. Personally I can't see a problem with it and I will demonstarate quickly

Shadowfield on Archon

Shot with bolters by marines on average will die in 16 shots, thats 1 round of rapid fire from a standard tactical squad.

Shot with Heavy Bolter by marines will dies in about 10 shots, thats 1 devastators squads shooting.

Shot with Las Cannon by marines will die in about 10 shots, thats 3 devastators squads shooting (and a stupid waste of lascannon shtos)

Space Marine Commander with Iron Halo

Shot with bolters by marines on average will die in 27 shots, 2 rounds of shooting from a tac squad

Shot with Heavy Bolter by marines will die in about 20 shots, 2 rounds of shooting from devestator squads

Shot with Las Cannon by marines will die in about 4 shots, thats one dev squad

So overall a shadowfield offers better protection against tank killing weapons, but still is nothing to a marine with an iron halo in most cases as far as shooting is concerned, how is this unfair?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

[whiny voice] because... I can't kill you with my uber big powerful weapon-ah[/whiny voice]
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I tell everyone but they don't seem to understand why. My lord can walk across the battlefield and dodge Lascannon fire, but let some scrub trooper shoot her with a boltpistol and she dies everytime.

They just don't get it that along with that pistol, I also had to roll saves for every other trooper in the squad.
    Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary. You know you probably won't like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I shot 20 Necron Warrior shots at the Lord and I didn't pierce field. That was the worst feeling as he later charged the unit and took out 6 of them before finally, the field was piecrced and he failed his other saves. So my personal opinion, in the hands of a skilled comander, the thing is just plain evil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With standard eldar resistance it's not that good, once the field is destroyed with such a poor armour save she is probably death to anything shooting at her.
    That's why we dark eldar have to manage to deliver her to close combat without being shooted at all

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its just people not adapting.
    When you face the marine commander your aim becomes to introduce the lascannon/krak missile/melta shot to his face cos small arms dont cut it.
    The Archon dances through it with his shadowfield.
    Your shoot a maine commander with bolters, shuriken cannon or multilaser they laugh at you, the archon panics cos it's much easier to instant kill one.
    The kind of people who complain about it are probably on the eldar forum too complaining that fortuned rune armour is overpowered.
    I think its a good option as it follows the darkeldar style, it's not meant for attrition combat, you get in slaughter and use it to keep you safe from the odd blow.
    Although one thing, and it's probably the right place to ask. If a vindicare assassin uses a shieldbreaker round, does it count as pierced, just wondering based on your take on the wording of the field.
    Ask not a question of the eldar, for they will give you three answers all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

116 (x4)

I would say not to the vindicator round as it says you have to fail a save, here you don't fail it you just don't get to take it.
    Last edited by karantalsis; June 17th, 2005 at 12:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Which would mean you'd fail it, this was also a point discussed with implant atatck on MC, the wording said failed saves before it works, GW mentioned that because MC ignore the save you fail it automaticly, IMO the same would apply here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

116 (x4)

Not so as what you do is choose not to use it and instead use your armour save as you can only use one, you are allowed to choose whcih save to use and if you choose not to use the invulnerable it is not breached and you don't lose it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by karantalsis
    Not so as what you do is choose not to use it and instead use your armour save as you can only use one, you are allowed to choose whcih save to use and if you choose not to use the invulnerable it is not breached and you don't lose it.
    But the vindicare bullet ignores armour saves anyway (AP2)

So can you elect to use a save you don't get? I think not, and I think Dreachon's logic stands.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast