First battle with new codex vs Dark Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

First battle with new codex vs Dark Eldar

This isn't a battle report as I don't remember enough of the details to make one worthwhile. Instead, I will simply post my impressions of various units based on their actual effectiveness in battle.

Hive Tyrant:
    As solid as ever. He performs exactly as I expect him to and did no better or worse. The only area in which I found him lacking is when fighting a Talos, but Acid Maw would fix that problem.

Lictors:
    Their deployment is much more convenient and increases their chances of being in a position to do damage. However, in this battle I cannot say that they did much damage overall. What they did do is attract alot of attention.

Genestealers:
    Against Dark Eldar taking Extended Carapace is simply a must. Splinter Rifles already have trouble wounding Genestealers and with a 4+ save, almost all of one's Genestealer casualties will be from Dark Lances. Of course, this means that the monstrous creatures will survive longer.

Hormagaunts:
    The same as they've always been. The loss of 1" of engagement range is insigificant.

Spinegaunts:
    I wiped out an entire squad with a single round of Spinegaunt shooting. That speaks for itself.

Spore Mines:
    Eh. . . it's a gamble, but they're dirt cheap, so I can't complain.

Zoanthropes:
    Honestly. . . they didn't accomplish much in shooting. However, between their ability to take 2 powers, the new invulnerable save of Warp Field, and their potential to be immune to insta-kills, I think that they're well worth their point cost. I'll definitely be using them alot more.

Carnifex:
    The ability to increase the model's Toughness does wonders against Dark Eldar. It's no longer so easy to wound them and I feel much more confident taking them against a Talos.

I'll coment more tomorrow. . . Tired. . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I can't blame you for not remembering details, I can't remember why I'm writing this.

I'de like ti know what weapons yout Hive tyrant had.
    I'm guessing the Broodlord wasn't used because he isn't out yet.

I like the new Zoanthropes aaswell, I give mine Warp blast and S***** (you know the word)
    i'm refering to the non-instant kill thing.

You should us Lictors to take out heavy weapons teams or similar things, I'm not sure about Dark eldar I've never played them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

You didn't happen to use Biovores per chance, did you? I think the biovore is still effective, just not as much as before.
    Overall, this is helpfull.
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Pesonally, I think the vore could be more effective in some ways, because in a brood their shooting counts as a barrage, right? So that would mean if one mine hits a squad, then so do the other 2. Can't you also use that to hit the backs of vehicles with bio-acid, too?
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx
    Pesonally, I think the vore could be more effective in some ways, because in a brood their shooting counts as a barrage, right? So that would mean if one mine hits a squad, then so do the other 2. Can't you also use that to hit the backs of vehicles with bio-acid, too?

I use my vores as vehicle hunters with bio-acid. I have taken down Land Raiders but only 3 of them. But aiming at skimmers, dreads, the rear of ANY tank really picks up the victory points and starts to make your opponants think twice. It also reduces the ammount of HW they can bring to bare on your bigger guys.

Especially V skimmers as usually you need a 6 to hit, on the roll of a scatter you get twice the chance of hitting, also with the new barrage the other spore mines come down right next to the origional and you deviate half the distance than before so you are lots more likely to hit what your aiming at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x4)

Here's the list I used:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=39604 ([1500] Tyranids)

Here's roughly what my opponent had:

Archon /wDrugs, Agonizer, Skyboard, Hellmask, Pistol, Shadow Field
    Dracon /w Drugs, Agonizer, Skyboard, Hellmask, Pistol
    9 Wyches /w Wych Weapons + Succubus /w Agonizer
    Wyches /w Wych Weapons + Succubus /w Agonizer
    13 Warriors /w Rifles and 2 Splinter Cannons
    10 Warriors /w Rifles and 2 Dark Lances
    Talos
    Talos
    10 Scourges /w Rifles and 4 Dark Lances

As I said, I did as well as I did because he concentrated almost of his fire on my Genestealers, with a few shots directed at my Zoanthropes. The Rifles did almost nothing and the Cannons didn't fare much better. He generally had a difficult time killing the Zoanthropes, too, but that was more due to unluckly rolls. The Hive Tyrant and Carnifex crossed the field largely ignored. Well, not ignored. . . It was simply that he really didn't want to face my Genestealers in close combat -- which did quite well. Two of my Genestealers managed to kill two squads.

As for Biovores. . . I'm rather hesitant to use them. They're more accurate than Deep Striking Spore Mines, but they'll be left out of Synapse range rather quickly. Just one Dark Lance shot could send 150 points running.

My intention for the Lictors at the beginning of the game was to quickly attack his Taloses, which were both position behind a forest. Unfortunately, only one came in on the second turn, the others didn't arrive until the fourth. At that point, one Talos was already dead and the other wasn't close enough to terrain that I could attack it, so I sent them against Warrior squads. One did nothing and was assaulted by the remaining Talos and the remnants of a Wych squad. The other helped out my Genestealers on the other flank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't biovores not need LOS. So can't you place them behind a hill or something where DL fire can't reach them? Since they have brood telepathy anyways, They don't have to take IB tests and unless the other guy wants to send a assult squad at them or DS something by them, shouldn't they be relatively safe?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

no they do not need los as they are guess range weapons ^_^ on the down side you have a bigger scatter role

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your monsterous creatures aren't safe just because the dark eldar shoots the dark lances at gene-stealers.

Ever heard of the agonizer :mellow: ?
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

which is why you stay well away from the lord. Besides necrons, i don't know anyone that will willingly engage a lord with the intent to win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast