taking down hive tyrant? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

taking down hive tyrant?

well today i played against my friend and well he was dead.. no troops left except his hive tyrant. since i had no AP 2 weapons he took down the rest of my army.. (this was just a slaugther mission)

then i tought what can i do to take it down....

- massiv shoting at it and hope it fails its 2+ save?
    - hoping to get a direct hit particle whip with my monolith?
    - having parihas in my unit(witch i currently dont own any of) since to me its seems they would be good at taking him down. but else i dont see much us of it other then taking down big monsters.

im very new to this game so maybe i missed something here. so im asking for advice.

i might be overlooking something but i realy hate to loose matches like that

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id really suggest you use your destroyer weaponry or heavy weapon destroyer weaponry if you can fit those in there. Another option is anything you can get with powerweapons would be very nasty, as long as you kept a orb of ress near by.

Lastly Id also suggest that some very strange things happen sometimes (check out wierdest moments forum somewhere in general I believe), so just go with the flow and play a few more games, it might have been nothing more than a freak occurence!

Just today I killed an entire squad of 2+ armour save units with some silly close combat weapon equipped models! I mean, my opponent wasnt happy but it happens, we shrugged and kept going.

Sorry but I dont know necron well enough to go into anything more detailed than that really....staff of light counts as power weapon as well as the scythe you can give your night lords is also another choice! Hope this has been helpful!

Un-knolageable in the ways of the dead
    Inquisitor Sidur
    Rude:"...". Turk of Legend,1/2 of the deadly duo Reno and Rude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea i know what u are saying... but still even heavy destroyers only have ap3... and he gets save against them too. staff of light is okey.. but well im new and it dosent work in close combat.. my destroyer lord is still in its kit

hmm i might have been playing a bit wrong to.. after all im new to the game .. might missinterpirated some rules or something ill look into it.. but thx for helping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never mind.. heacy destroyers got ap 2... but still there is only heavy destroyers , and lord with warschyt and parhias that can take him down ? hmm how does the staff of light work in CC ? hmm

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

As a Necron Player your worries about units like a Tyrant should be less than they are. First off, your base warriors with their gauss weponry will wound on a 6 and he will eventualy fail his saves. Second, AP2 Heavy Destroyer are okay, but they only get one shot. A group of 5 regualar destroyers get 15 srt6 ap4 shots. Sheer weight of numbers will get him. Third, try Tomb Spyders. Their own monsterous creature status will negate saves, unless he has an invulnerable upgrade, but even then those Spyders will give a Tyrant a run for its money. If all else fails, bring the Nightbringer and smack the Tyrants ass back the Hivemind. I personaly think that either: A. you had insufcient remaining troops to deal with the tyrant, or B. your dice karma was off today. Most likley it was just a freak event.

EDIT: The staff of light works like a power weapon meaning that it ignores armor saves, except if he has an invulnerable save upgrade. If this is the case, equip your lord with a warscyth and that will ignore even his upgrade.
    Last edited by thedrifter777; June 19th, 2005 at 02:23.

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

With Warriors, it will take approx. 219 shots to kill a Tyrant. 2/3s of those (144) will hit, 1/6th of them will wound (24) and 1/6th of those will be failed saves (4). Honestly, you're best bet against a Tyrant is a full unit of Wraiths with a DLord. Even if they can't kill the Tyrant, they stand a good chance of holding the Tyrant off until the game ends.
    Last edited by Gojiratoho; June 19th, 2005 at 04:28. Reason: screwed my math up
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Tomb Spiders are monstrous creatures, so they can also cut hive tyrant armor. They're cheap, and a few of them can probably kill a hive tyrant, if they can get the charge.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWamp
    Tomb Spiders are monstrous creatures, so they can also cut hive tyrant armor. They're cheap, and a few of them can probably kill a hive tyrant, if they can get the charge.

i do agree, have the tyrant attack a large squad of warriors, hopefully with a lord with a res orb near by. then counter attack with a spider or two, prefferably 2-3.

i just like to use a destroyer lord with a staff of light, its a power weapon, 18" charge range, and get a few good attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or!! You COULD play Tau! heh sorry, that had to be said

Seriously yeah, thats why I suggested the staff of light for melee, it counts as a power weapon. In all honesty It sounds like you just had a bad day with the dice...melting one in front of the others has proven to work wonders for that sorta thing (Dont ask, Ive got 3 friends who take playing IG too seriously...)

Ive only played agasint nexron a few times before and can say that they are amonst the tuffest darn things to kill! Orb of Ress + Veil of Darkness + Nightlord with War Scythe + a squad of Paraihas is a very nasty way to out melee anyone who says that Necrons weakness is in melee. With an orb near by you get your we will be back rolls regardless of any unit being killed without being allowed a armour save in melee combat. Also remember the wording of the orb clearly states that you only need to be within 12" of a model within a unit, within 12" of the orb of ress for it to work for you. Quite literally meaning that with placement of all of your models in a unit 2" apart or so you can literally spread the orbs effects across the entire board!

Scarey stuff...anyways, remember to play to your strengths and ignore things too big to remove without wasteing time! I play objective games now, so I tend to ignore anything that cannot be killed in 2 turns or less now, and just claim the objective while killing the easy targets as fast as I can, Hive tyrants are something I go for if they are claiming a target or if I have the time to spare the fire for them with my Tau or the time to chase it down for melee with my grey knights.

Try out the orb + veil strategy, its the one most tried and tested and approved for good reason I assure you! (just dont teleport too far away from your own troops, keep within 12" if possible, then your forces get the benefits of the orb of res)

Anyways, happy gaming!
    Inquisitor Sidur
    Rude:"...". Turk of Legend,1/2 of the deadly duo Reno and Rude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GET HEAVY DESTROYERS :mad:

once i was in a similar situation
    my friend had his captain stern(deamon hunter), i had 1 heavy destroyer and like 15 warriors
    i took out one of his wounds with my heavy destroyer then he took out my heavy destroyer
    after 5 turns of rapid firing his captain stern, i lost the game.

moral of the story is: you really need heavy destroyers to take out 2+ save people
    Last edited by GothicDragon; June 20th, 2005 at 02:03.
    The people who survive are the winners
    The people who enjoy survival are the champions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast