Begining Saim-Hann - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Begining Saim-Hann

I'm thinking of begining a saim-hann army. The fast attack power and manuverability sound awesome for gameplay, and the models also rock. Can anyone tell me if they've had any success/failure with this army, what units are best/worst, where to begin, etc? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Sure, no problem,
    Saim Hann are one of my most if not the most favourite army.

I have been playing Eldar since RT first came out, initially there were not craftworlds, then I had Yriels personnal company whose colour scheme eventually became Ulthwe.

About 3 years ago I switched away from Ulthwe to Saim Hann.

Saim Hann are a rather unique army, there is simply no other army which is inherantly that fast, you can configure some stuff to possibly keep up, but with Saim Hann it is naturally that way.

Saim Hann armies can be loosley grouped in to 4 or more probably 3 categories:

Category 1 (for arguements sake, and flawed - no one plays this)
    All jet bikes - seriously count it, you can put out a horrific amount of jet bikes, no one does this cos bikes are too expensive (points wise) and not particularly effective -

Category 2 (the power gamer) OK you can put up 18 Vypers (6 FA squads of 3), just add a HQ and off you go. Most people dont cope well against this

Category 3 (my prefered) - mixed Bike/vyper army with one or 2 FAST others - nice army, dont call it balanced cos it isn, if it doesnt move fast, it doesnt get in, but played well it can rip armies appart

Category 4 (very mixed) OK you can take Saim Hann and add your reapers and your wraithlords and presto, you have a vyper/bike heavy codex army. if you want to do this, stick to the Eldar codex and leeve the little red speed merchants to those who love them

Now. Saim Hann can be very effective but it is difficult to use that way, I will focus on Category 3 cos that is how I play them but the remarks below do apply to all categories:

HQ: personnaly I take the wild rider chief, the power gamer will go for a farseer on a bike, but for me the wild rider cheif is ultra fluffy (see picci here:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...c=3&userid=106

I will always give him the power sword and probably the shuriken cannon upgrade, then in smaller battles he hangs with a bike squad, in larger ones I take the wild rider kin and family banner. Always take as many shuriken cannons in these squads as possible and configure the size of the squad with this in mind. This leader and his squad performs a number of roles, firstly and most commonly, - sniping, the squad can move, shoot and move, so do it, use the range on your cannons, stay out of harge range and take down the numbers in your opponents squad - note that the shuriken cannon is less than lethal against 3+ saves so be carefull. The second thing they do is pull your opponents out of shape and draw fire fro mthe vypers, this unit tends to be scareyest for your opponents who dont know waht to make of it, for some reason people seem to think that they should chase it with infantry - not that they have any hope of catching it. The third and actually quite impressive if judged right, of this unit is to finish off your opponents units, dont forget how far this thing can charge, its weapons are assault or it counts as stationary so if you zoom up to a damagd unit, you can pour fire into it then charge it, you will hit first, if you got the family banner then you get the reroll hits, you got a power weapon - I have taken down demon princes and retinues of chosen with this squad

Vypers - OK forget how any other eldar army uses Vypers, trying to transfere the stratergy to Saim hann will not produce the best results. To use our vypers effectively, take a vyper, sort out its weapons, do not bother with any vehicle upgrades. as a general ruleI regularly put up 1250 points of Saim Hann, when I do so, there are 6-8 vypers, they are as follows:

Anti infantry (4):
    Vyper, star cannon, shuriken cannon upgrade

Anti tank (2):
    Vyper, bright lance

Mixed (2):
    Vyper, EML

the latter group is there cos I cant be sure how many bright lances I need, so although they lack the special rules of the BL they are still effective, and the plasma missiles allow them to effect infantry. This is the only configurations I use, except possibly dropping the shuriken cannon off the star cannon ones if I am low on points

NOTE: it is rumoured that the shuriken cannon may become rending in the new rules, in which case the shuriken cannon vyper may become very attractive, as may upgrading the catapults on all vypers

the vypers should be fielded in as many squadds as possible, but if you have to have more than one vyper in a squad (which you commonly will) put the multi shot ones together (in the example above they are typically fielded as 4 FA choices, the first 2 being 2 anti infantry vypers) this will minimise damage whilst getting the best effect from your single shot weaponry

What else?
    OK he next thing I add is a falcon, replace its scatter laser with a star cannon and upgrade its shuriken catapults to cannon, then give it spirit stones and holo filed, and presto (picci of my Falcon and other bikes/vypers also in my gallery)

I occasionally add hawks, cos I love the minis, but you really dont need to

How to use the army: If you use Saim Hann well, your opponent should feel like he is punching clouds, what I mean by this is he never quite manages to engage you. You have hoards of long ranged weponry which, indeed MUST move 12 inches (that isnt a rule that is written down but every Saim Hann player should have that tatooed on his person)

your deployment is not about where they are on the battle field, it is about how far you are away from him, let him worry about objectives, cover etc, you pretty much redeploy on any given turn due to our speed, use that to pull his army appart chasing fire lanes, when a unit gets isolated, your bikes sweep in and destroy it, in the mean time your vypers and flacons keep whittling down his numbers.

Saim Hann are not the be all and end all, against a discilined general, particularly with a shooty army, you will strugle but most generals are not disciplined enough. And most generals have never faced Saim hann, so you use speed, tricks and long range weaponry and generally exhasperate the hell out him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Jetbikes are with the current rules rather crappy. The only killer-list i've heard of when it comes to Saim-hann is the all-out cheap Vyper-list. Maybe you should wait for the new codex? :huh:
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

AS above, jetbikes can work, last outing against night lords my wild rider chief and 5 other bikes charged a demon prince and his chosen bodyguard of aspiring champions all on bikes - wiped them out, I would gues 500 points in one swoop, that said they are not the most efficient us of points

+ Reply to Thread