Question about the Genestealers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Question about the Genestealers

I'm curious as to whether or not the entire squad of Genestealers must be equipped the same way.

Some of the Nid players in my club explain that they put one or two Genestealers in their broods with the Feeder Tendril upgrade (heheh, I call em Spaghetti-Stealers) so nearby Gaunts will hit on 3s too.

Now, I see things like this as a 'grenade' upgrade, where if you want to give the squad grenades, you have to give the whole squad grenades, not just one or two guys. So by that logic, either the whole squad is Spaghetti-Stealers or none of them are. Similarly, you can't give just two or three guys in the squad the Extended Carapace upgrade, can you?

I checked the codex, and I couldn't come to a conclusion either way.
    Under the Gaunts entry, it specifically states that all the Gaunts in the squad must be upgraded the exact same way. Likewise, I think it was Warriors, it specifically stated that each one could be equipped differently (one with guns, one with claws and stuff). But under the Genestealer entry, nothing ever really came out and specifically stated one way or the other.

Does anyone know any official ruling on this? Was I just not reading the codex thoroughly enough? Or did gw pull another stupid and shoved their head even farther up their klajsdf.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

My translation of the codex is quite clear that the "whole brood may be equipped with the following upgrades". Reading into that that only a few of them can get the upgrades requires quite some creativity. I wouldn't ever do it, and not allow it to be pulled against me either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAstaroth
    My translation of the codex is quite clear that the "whole brood may be equipped with the following upgrades". Reading into that that only a few of them can get the upgrades requires quite some creativity. I wouldn't ever do it, and not allow it to be pulled against me either.

Yeah, when I played a Tyranid opponent two weeks ago, he was proxying the Spaghetti-Stealer because he hadn't got the new models yet. He said 'This guy and this guy have the spaghetti face'. So I told him, 'Uhh, so does that mean that this random guy here and this other random guy here have Frag Grenades?' I told him his Spaghetti face guys should be a squad upgrade and he either equip the entire squad, or remove teh Spaghetti faces. So he took the four (two from two squads) Spaghetti Stealers out and just put normal ones in. At that point, I wasn't sure if it really was a 'squad upgrade' or not. Then, last Saturday, another Nid player was talking about how he would put two in each squad at the sides of the squad so they give nearby Gaunts the advantage. That's when I asked to see the codex.

"whole brood may be equipped with the following upgrades". Yeah, I think this is word for word. Doesn't sound to me like this would allow you to do mix and match, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In white dwarf this month it talks about that very same subject. One of the points being the hive mind wont worry about changing 1-2 members of a specific brood because it doesn't deal in that much detail. A brood of any species is geared towards one aim, not many little ones. So from the reading of the codex, and the edition of white dwarf released at the same time as nids it is the whole brood that has the upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x3)

Indeed, the mutation system is gone, so you no longer mutate certain models.

There is now an upgrade system where you upgrade the whole brood or nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of thouse things thats more about models than rules.......obviously the entire squad has to take the feeder upgrade but GW only provide u with 2 feeder heads per box so I say that as long as a few members have it then u can count the entire squad as feeder equiped......its not really the players fault, especially if their skint or cant convert. Just make sure everyone knows that if there is one feeder head then the squad is a feeder squad.......my local GW uses this principle in-store.
    A Rhino? SLOTH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 39 reads, "the whole brood may be equipped with weapon-symbiotes or biomorph enhancements chosen from the following list at the points cost indicated per model." THat's kinda hard to interpret so you may have to wait for a FAQ.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Winters
    Page 39 reads, "the whole brood may be equipped with weapon-symbiotes or biomorph enhancements chosen from the following list at the points cost indicated per model." THat's kinda hard to interpret so you may have to wait for a FAQ.
    I have read the codex quite in quite a lot of depth and I believe that the stealers can be outfitted with different biomorphs and weapons.
    If you look at the list entries for Gaunts and rippers it specifies that all the models in the brood have to identical, but for Warriors or stealers it does not specify this.
    You can give a brood of Warriors different bio-morphs and weapons symbiotes so I think it follows that because its not specified as it is in the gaunt list entry that they must be identical, you can vary the stealers bio-morphs and weapons symbiotes
    The only constraint I can see for bio-morphs etc on stealers is the whole brood must be equipped with an enhancement if your going to take any.

In fact if you look at the photographs in the codex you will see that the genstealer broods all have different bio-morph heads and weapons etc.

Even though this is the way I read it I am still going to give my stealers the same enhancements throughout the brood, just for simplicitys sake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru
    I have read the codex quite in quite a lot of depth and I believe that the stealers can be outfitted with different biomorphs and weapons.
    If you look at the list entries for Gaunts and rippers it specifies that all the models in the brood have to identical, but for Warriors or stealers it does not specify this.
    You can give a brood of Warriors different bio-morphs and weapons symbiotes so I think it follows that because its not specified as it is in the gaunt list entry that they must be identical, you can vary the stealers bio-morphs and weapons symbiotes
    The only constraint I can see for bio-morphs etc on stealers is the whole brood must be equipped with an enhancement if your going to take any.

In fact if you look at the photographs in the codex you will see that the genstealer broods all have different bio-morph heads and weapons etc.

Even though this is the way I read it I am still going to give my stealers the same enhancements throughout the brood, just for simplicitys sake.
    But doesn't it state in the Warriors entry (I'm pretty sure it was Warriors) that each Warrior in a squad could be made using different weapons? If that's so, then why aren't those words used verbatim in the Genestealer entry to denote that they can also mix and match upgrades?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MobiusPrime
    But doesn't it state in the Warriors entry (I'm pretty sure it was Warriors) that each Warrior in a squad could be made using different weapons? If that's so, then why aren't those words used verbatim in the Genestealer entry to denote that they can also mix and match upgrades?
    Yes, but the "you must upgrade the whole brood" thing for gaunts isn't written for the stealers. Maybe it's some fluff with their evolution or whatever. Easy solution...

Make a house rule!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast