Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are Raveners Really Worth It

2K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  qwerter4 
#1 ·
are raveners really worth the cost nof points. i reckon they aren't really what bout you
<:)

#6 ·
yeah they're really good for 35 pts+10 for weapons, if you give them devourers instead of rending claws they get assult 6 weapon very good agaanst armour values of 6 like other tyranids and imp guard kroot etc.

i have 4 in my army, they are well worth thr pts if u have a winged hive tyrant, or just something that can keep up.

#7 ·
when i do use them i use a 6 man unit all with rending claws 5 with devourers (so long as im only shooting at toughness 4 or less teh odd are in my favour) and one weapon beast with a venom cannon. i find them worth it on large points only. 1750+.

effective but pricey as hell

XG

#8 ·
I've come around to really liking raveners now. I want to field a brood of them with talons and claws. Problem is, the blister comes with talons and a devourer.

So I've got to scrape together a bunch of extra claws if I want to convert them. Sucks.

Sure I could buy them as bits from GW, but that's on top of the $10 per model for the basic ravener. It adds up fast.

#12 ·
sacrafice a few genestealers. use there claws. im making a show piece hormie with his front arms as scything and his second paif holding a shortend VC or spitter.

but ya i keep having to order claws and its getting pricey. although i have more scything talons then i know what to do with.

XG

#14 ·
ir depends how you set them up. give them a ranged bioweapon that fit against the army your fighting, and always give them rending claws. if your fighting another another hand to hand army give them scything talons if you want to get that extra attack but they have really bad armour. i worked out with the extra attack you get less results but with the devourer i got the most kills. but it depends again on the armour of your opponenet.

XG

#16 ·
Remember though BS of only 3. So you are only going to hit with 1/2 of your 6 shots for a str 3 hit. so Vs a Target with T 3 on pure averages.....

Shoot 6 times, hit 3 times.

Hit 3 times, wound 1 or 2 times depending on luck.

Then if they have any armor that isnt 6+ you are really in trouble because theyll have anywhere from a 30-50% chance of not taking the woudns you do.

Your odds drop even lower if your opponant is T 4, at which point if you hit 3 times you will wind up only wounding on a 5 or 6, dropping your wound % from 50 to 30.

The only time I could really see a devourer being used is on a Gaunt model. That way you get lots of them for cheap. But if you are spending 30 - 40 points a model you can do lots better than 6 attacks at Str 3. Hell, give them a Spinefist - get 3 attacks Str 4 AP 5. Or give them the deathspitter for 1 Str 5 Ap 5 blast template.

The extra Melee attack you get from the talons gives you a 1 in 6 chance of instantly killing any wound one model regardless of toughness AND makes them cheaper.

#17 ·
the average roll of a d6 is 4.somthing.
so the odds are in my favour and when im rolling 36 dice there are alot of 4-6's is there and same when im rolling 15-25 to wound. its the armour save where it balances out but thats life for nids.

and vampire i live on vancouver island in canada. and better yet i will trade you for rending claws.

XG

#18 ·
X griffin how do you figure?

Statistically, each face on a D6 has a 16.7% chance of coming up.

Getting a 4, 5 or 6 you have a 50% chance.
Getting a 3,2, or 1 you also have a 50% chance.

Not sure why you get the average is a 4. something. The average VALUE may be 4, but the chance of any d6 coming up as >=4 is always 50%

#24 ·
Not sure exactly on the stats, but I believe it slike 36".. I know its AP 2....Str 10? Maybe? 3 attacks I believe as well - with fortune you can re roll failures too. All I know is its a long range Low AP Weapon that you can reroll misses on with a warlock - which makes them and Tau 2 opponants I am not too enamoured with. Tyranids lack invulnerable saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.