Spore mine clusters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spore mine clusters

Two questions about spore mine clusters taken as a heavy support choice...

A) They appear via deep-strike. Does this mean if they land on an enemy they are destroyed instead of exploding?

If I deep-strike 3 spore mines (or fire them from a brood of biovores for that matter) and they all land on a tank, do I get 3 chances to penetrate its armor?

C) Do bio-acid mines just use the blast template now instead of the flamer template?

And while I'm at it... multi-meltas and eviscerators and stuff read "Roll 2D6 for armor penetration" meaning for that roll you roll 2D6 and add the weapon's strength. Bio-acid mines say "Roll 2D6+3 for armor penetration" and the weapon has a strength of 3 -- so are they factoring the 3 strength of the weapon into the rule or are they saying you really roll 2D6+6?

Thanks!
    --Ditchdigger

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger
    Two questions about spore mine clusters taken as a heavy support choice...

A) They appear via deep-strike. Does this mean if they land on an enemy they are destroyed instead of exploding?

If I deep-strike 3 spore mines (or fire them from a brood of biovores for that matter) and they all land on a tank, do I get 3 chances to penetrate its armor?

C) Do bio-acid mines just use the blast template now instead of the flamer template?

And while I'm at it... multi-meltas and eviscerators and stuff read "Roll 2D6 for armor penetration" meaning for that roll you roll 2D6 and add the weapon's strength. Bio-acid mines say "Roll 2D6+3 for armor penetration" and the weapon has a strength of 3 -- so are they factoring the 3 strength of the weapon into the rule or are they saying you really roll 2D6+6?

Thanks!
    --Ditchdigger
    A) By definition of spore mines, if they come in contact with a enemy model, they explode. And, since they can come within 1" of an enemy model without dying, i don't think the conventional DS rules apply.

Yes, Have Fun Popping vehicles with that

C) It's factored in so u get 2D6 + 3 not +6.
    Last edited by dymew; June 23rd, 2005 at 15:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

A) No, they're considered destroyed while "off table" and therefore don't explode.

Yes.

C) As far as I'm concerned, it's 3 str + 2d6 + 3 (until the Faq clears this up), giving the bio-acid mine a chance to actually penetrate AV 14 (which it basically can't do at Str 3, but definitely has a chance to do at Str 6 (This is also less confusing than saying "Str 3 / Str 6 vs. vehicles")).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    A) No, they're considered destroyed while "off table" and therefore don't explode.
    How does that work? Surely the Spore mines Deep Striking is to signify them being shot in from off the battlefield by a biovore brood or being hurtled towards earth from a ship and as such should be allowed to explode on contact with the an enemy.

The things dying from deep strike too close to the enemy is for things that teleport in and signify they re-materiallising inside somebody and being ripped to shreds. (obviously the model they materialise in should be killed aswell but i guess that was just considered too un-fair by the guys at GW)
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

No matter what it represents, the game rules are clear on the matter. Any deep-striking units who land within range of an enemy are considered destroyed. No models are placed on the table, and so the spore mines don't detonate (at least until they revise the faq to clear this up).

The Spore Mine Clusters still have a use, however... they deny your opponent a place to retreat to, and can otherwise block off areas of terrain to enemy movement / deep striking.

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

But since the BGB rules for Deepstrike and the Tyranid Codex special rule for spore mines contradict each other (DS: Models that scatter on top of or within 1" of enemy models are destroyed. Spore Mines: Spore mines may move within 1" of enemy models in the movement phase) they should only be destroyed if they land on top of an enemy model.

If the first mine lands within 1", you should be able to place all the mines in that cluster. Then just use a Synapse critter to pop them. If it actually lands on top of an enemy, as far as the rules go now, I'd say it was destroyed as per the DS rules.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    No matter what it represents, the game rules are clear on the matter. Any deep-striking units who land within range of an enemy are considered destroyed. No models are placed on the table, and so the spore mines don't detonate (at least until they revise the faq to clear this up).
    The codex overrules the rulebook in this case. Just like the old TMC rules in the codex overriding the MC rules in the rulebook. Same case, same answer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Actually, I think it hinges on whether or not Deep Striking counts as normal movement. I'm arguing that it's not (because otherwise the rules wouldn't need to specify that you cannot move after deep striking), and therefore the line in the codex about Spore Mine movement does not negate the normal deep striking rules.

It all hinges on the line "During its movement", which the deep striking rules say the spore mines do not get to take.

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

That's a good point. While DSing is technically a move done in the movement phase, it has it's own set of rules and effectivley replaces a units movement. I think I'd still say that the mines can land within 1" of enemies, they just can't land on top of them. Not that myself or any of the other Nid players in my group are using Vores or mines right now.

Oooohhhh...nice post count.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The strenght of the spore mine that gets 2D6 for armour penetration is 3. So it is 3+2D6.

The spore mine clusters deepstrike as spore mines would do from a vore. Meaning the codex rules over the rule book. They can DS straight onto any enemy model and EXPLODE doing the damage they would as normally. Thier rules state they are the only thing that can come within 1" of an enemy model, or even touch an enemy model.

Any template that hits part of the vehicle you are aiming at gets a roll for AP. Remember that for the new rules you have to place the initial mine where it lands and the other 2 in the direction of the scatter dice rolled like a clock. If you roll a hit for one of the subsequent mines in the barrage you follow the direction of the little arrow around the edge of the hit symbol, thus none will ever land exactly on top of the initial roll.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast