XV8 Battlesuit Magnets (Large Pic) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

XV8 Battlesuit Magnets (Large Pic)

Well, this is really just to show off my work, and to show you all what can be done with a little time and effort.

Having just started a Tau army, I thought I would experiment on using magnets to allow weapon switching between battles, and here is a pic of the results ^_^

So, Comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those look good. I would love to have a Crisis Suit with magnets, but I don't have a pin vise or any kind of substitute. The poses on them are really nice too. Great job on them, keep up the good work!
    Go get 'em angst man!
    -Palpatine to Anakin in 1337 Star Wars Episode III trailer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have reccessed them a little bit more on the weapons. By the looks of it, you are going to have gaps betweeen the suit and the weapons. With mine, I actually put the magnets in deeper then the level of the suit, so that the weapons are flush with the suit.

And, off-topic, the gap in that backpack looks atrocious.

I'll post my magnet photos tomorrow if I can.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too bad, could have gone a little deeper maybe... Nice job on the multi-tracker. I can never get the damn things to fit without losing half of the bottom-part... I get a magnet-curve sticking out of the model. You have a little bit peeking out only.

I don't have a pin vise myself, I just use drill bits and my fingers. I have a pair of pliers for when it gets REALLY stubborn, or for when my fingers are really raw. They're not very good for this sort of thing, though. I find I can do 4-6 magnets a day without anything worse than a little peeling skin. What you don't want is blisters. If it hurts, stop. You can always do it later.

Anyone have advice on where to put the magnets for hammerhead guns? Or how to work that burstcannon/sensor on the fish/hammerhead so that you can switch between the two?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x3)

Well, the photos seem to exagerate the magnets, they are all pretty much flush with the level of the plastic around them, and there isn't too much of a gap between the arms and the weapons.

The Gaps in the backpack... yeah, the photo makes it look huge, but its not actually that bad. Still it is going to get a smoothing over with greenstuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Looks nice.
    I agree that the gap on that pack looks pretty big, but as they say "The camera adds 10 pounds." So I guess it probly isn't THAT bad.

And, do you ever actually use the flamer add on? I can't see why any Tau player would want it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To go off what Direstrike said. Did you magnetize the multi-tracker? Or just slide them in the slots? You magnets I got are a tad too big for those smaller add-on pieces.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x3)

The multitracker / drone controller is not magnetted... just glued. The magnets I have a too big for small stuff like that. However, my commanders will be using shield drones, and my other suits will need multitrackers so glueing it is no big deal for me.

The flamer... well, I doubt I will use it, but I may as well have at least one set up just in case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks really good to me! I did the same thing on 8 Crisis Suits, and all the weapons I had, I could pretty much do anything with them!

As far as the Hammerhead guns, I put two of those magnets on the bottom of the gun, and two on the body of the vehicle. In retrospect one larger magnet or maybe three smaller magnets in a triangle formation would've been better, but it was nice to be able to swap. I was going to magnetize the tops of the two DF I had, so I could turn them into HH's if necessary, but traded most of my force away.
    sakenpo@ptd.net
    Lower/Lesser rating always ships first!

+ Reply to Thread