Hive Tyrant Weapon Load-out - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you guys see as more useful for a Hive Tyrant? My current configuration I was gonna go with was rending claws and scything talons, but a dude here suggested foregoing the rending claws and opting for a Venom Cannon or barbed strangler.

My reasoning with the rending claws was having auto 6-rolled wounds against beasties like the Eldar Avatar, Great Unclean One, etc. The appeal of basically instant armor penetration when I roll a 6 is nice too. However, it's been suggested the Venom Cannon is more versatile. Alternately, would a second set of scything talons be the way to go? I was trying to find a Tyrant combination that would produce the ultimate Tyranid close combat beast.

Of course I'd also be taking the standard tyrant bio-plasma and other goodies.

Thoughts/Opinions? Thanks for helping a new player out, guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

Wings, Toxin Sacs, Enhanced Senses, Adrenalin Sacs, Extended Carapace, Bioplasma, Implant Attack, Scything Talons, Lash Whip, Warp Blast. The Wings mean that he can move quickly (many of the other biomorphs are common sense). The Warp Blast gives him a tank-killing and marine killing ranged weapon. The Implant Attack means that I have to score half as many successful wound rolls to kill big opponents. The lash whip removes a hunk of attacks when I go into H2H with worrisome opponents (Grey Knights, assault squads, stuff like that). Oh, and Bioplasma is great for hitting skimmers in H2H.
    Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take the following :

Toxin Sacs
    Implant Atack
    Adreneline Sac (both)
    Enhanced Senses
    Extended Carapace

Weapons are Venom Cannon and Scything Talons.

This way you get 4 attacks, 5 charging in CC and a venom cannon shoot str 8 ap 4 36". The thing to remember is, all that extra stuff on your HT is cool - but unless you are alwaysplaying 1500+ point games, you wont see him.

My tyrant is 169 pts. Add wings and a psychic power and your almost at 240. Thats 1/4 of a 1000 pt army right there, and 1 starcannon with fortune can wipe him out unless you have guards but thats another 90-150 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean you can't field him under 1500 points, or its a bad idea to bring him out in armies less than that size?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You CAN but like....dude.

Think of it this way - if we played 1v1 in a game, i'd have about 70-80 more points to use on units that can be -

10 bad gaunts
    2 Zoanthropes with Synapse
    1 extra tyrant guard
    1 Biovore and stuff

It could also be the diffirence between being able to include old one eye or not. Point is, is the wings and the mutation and the psychic power really worth it?

And rending claws are a waste - remember monsterous creatures ALREADY get 2d6 to penetrate armor on vehicles, and automatically ignore armor saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When making modified hive tyrants why do they drop to a base of 74 pts, that means a person has to add other things to get back to perfect 90 and they therefore cant get much more additions, and that means u have to add all those plastic bits when anormal tyrant doesnt need them, that doesnt make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

I cannot say that rending claws are wasted on a monstrous creature, but they are of very limited use. They are useful on a Hive Tyrant when fighting an opponent that has a high toughness (like a C'tan or Wraithlord).

My Tyrant does end up costing (if I remember correctly) 199 points. However, even in a 1000 point game, he is there.

He is fast, twice as fast as a walking Tyrant. I found that, on the average, my Tyrants usually moved about 24" to get into H2H. Flying cuts that transit time in half.

He can hurt a Monolith pretty easily and denies Crisis Suits and Space Marines their saves with his Warp Blast. The Warp Blast is most vehicles worst nightmare. 'Nough said.

I often assign him to kill dangerous enemy models or units. He might well end up in the middle of a bunch of Grey Knights or Orks with 2 wounds (and weapons that hurt).

And, I have to tell you, in 1500 point games I often have 2 of them. I can quickly field a horde of spinegaunts and Nightgaunts (leaping gaunts with toxin sacs and adrenal glands) to make some large, worrisome broods. Besides, the more Synapse creatures the better. In a 1700 point game, I often have 5 different Synapse creatures or broods. That keeps all the gaunts happy.
    Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa that sounds COOL.

Which gaunts make great swampers(cheapness) i have just added my army up without 4 raveners 1 warrior, 1 HT and hive mind powers and spore mines
    its 1793pts +60pts(min)-147pts(max) making 1900 pts maximum, and i still need a 3rd carnifex and another HT, and i only have 5 warriors ;'(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Morpheus01@Oct 26 2003, 12:59
    It could also be the diffirence between being able to include old one eye or not. Point is, is the wings and the mutation and the psychic power really worth it?

And rending claws are a waste - remember monsterous creatures ALREADY get 2d6 to penetrate armor on vehicles, and automatically ignore armor saves.
    Not talking about wings, for one thing. And you could argue that rending claws are very handy versus other monstrous entities, like the Avatar for example. Against these opponents the Tyrant doesn't normally get an automatic wound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still, Id rather have a venom cannon. You dont need an automatic wound. The only time you would is if you were fighting something like lets say, a Dreadnaught Str 8.

Well if you were fighting that guy, just use your venom cannon. 3 attacks before you charge into close combat. THEN move in.

Remember hes gotta pass a LD check just to even attack you. Thats the only way I could see rending claws working. Other than that theyre usually a waste.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast