Stop Complaining! Use Fire Dragons instead! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop Complaining! Use Fire Dragons instead!

Ever since the new rulebook came out, I've noticed a rather depressing trend among my fellow Farseers, those of Biel-tan in particular. In a word, complaints. I admit that the new vehicle disembarkation rules have biggered us up right and royally in some regards-no more power-sword armed Banshees and 3+ Scorpions being bundled into Wave Serpants and getting hurled into cc virtually immediately- but look on the bright side; Fire Dragons! these guys totally own, I typically field 30 of them in a game, backed up by a few tanks and Warp Spiders, mounted in Serpants, who can zoom up to the enemy lines, clamber out of their transports, and toast troops and tanks alike! With fast moving Warp Spiders nearby to mop up the remainder of the enemy and make sure the Dragons don't get toasted themselves, this kind of army totally rocks. so stop complaining, and stock up on FD's, at least until we get our new 'dex (2007 last I heard).

"You're very interesting, and very perceptive. So interesting, and so perceptive, in fact, that we shall now fight with KNIVES!"
    -Moltar

"I've been dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long before you'll be dead!"
    -Space Ghost

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Like it, so I take about 200 points of fire dragons, stick them in 150 points of vehicle, zoom it up the field, leap out, kill half a 150 point marine tac squad and get charges and claughtered by the remaining marines and a tooled up vet sgt, who subsequently blow up the tank.

I can kill about 90 points of marines at the trivial cost of just over 300 points! Ever thought of playing WWI trench warfare games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not exactly, more like 'take 200 points of Fire Dragons, mount them in 150 points of vehicle, jump out, kill an entire tactical squad, wipe out the next tactical squad with a combination of Warp Spiders and the wave serpants twin-linked Starcannons". But I'm intrigued by your comment... what do you mean by "WWI trench warfare", and how does it apply to the Eldar?
    "You're very interesting, and very perceptive. So interesting, and so perceptive, in fact, that we shall now fight with KNIVES!"
    -Moltar

"I've been dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long before you'll be dead!"
    -Space Ghost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

200 points of fire dragons = what? about 8? 8 shots = 4 hits, 4 hits, = 3 wounds = 3 dead marines, full tac squad (for less than 200 points = 10 marines, one of which is a vet sgt with, for the sake of arguement, a power weapon, your 3 dead marines will not "Wipe out a tac squad, I have seen this happen too many times in the 20 or so years I have played Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that Fire Dragons have just as much chance hitting in the Shooting Phase as Wraithlords do. And its not as if they can't survive close combat, even though it may not be their specialty. 8 shots at strength X AP X is nothing to be sneezed at.
    Last edited by Cheredanine; June 28th, 2005 at 11:48.
    -Moltar

-Space Ghost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

8 Fire Dragons (exarch less) will kill 4.44 marines and thier serpent with tlsc annother 1.875 for a total of 6 marines. 90pts. 3 basic Marines charging you in retaliation will kill 1 and the vet sgt with lightning claws annother 2. in following rounds of combat you will be pulped.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Firstly Librarian I have eddited your post mate - you cant post stats

Secondly you got to take a bigger picture too, for the same amount of points as your full squad of fire dragons and transport, he probably got 2 marine squads, or worse still 2 scout squads, tooled up the VS in both cases, even assuming he sat on his hands for the turn it took you to get up there, which is unlikely, and decided not to shoot down your transport, he is still gonna charge you with one full and one weakened squad and frankly you are in bits in 2 turns.

You clearly love the fire dragons, to be honest I do, I think the minis are excellent and can be painted superbly, but I had the above happen so many times that I stopped using dragons about a year and a half ago and rub my hands when an Eldar general rolls them out in fron of my other armies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you're probably right. It does work though, provided you have enough support units out front. I like to concentrate all my efforts on one squad at a time, and deal with other stuff only when they become an obvious threat. Remeber the good old days, when we could still assault out of closed vehicles?

P.S Sorry about posting the stats
    P.P.S Hehehe, my Alpha Legion rub their hands together when they see Howling banshees without transport... when will my little brother learn?
    -Moltar

-Space Ghost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

In principle, if you can concentrate whilst your opponent doesnt, it can work. but then pretty much anything can work if your opponent is that bad.

PS - dont worry about it
    PPS - yeah I played a couple of Eldar armies over the last month with my marines and each time they seem to have decided that since they cant leap out of vehicles and assault, they should walk banshees up the field right down my fire lanes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200 pts of dragon will get you 10 plus an exarch and change who will go on til kill 5ish marines, plus the Starcannon.
    If your opponent has an isolated sqyad they work fine, somewhere you can get out and vape him without overwhelming firepower returning, i usually find they work okay for devestator assassination.
    I tend to use more infiltrating scorpions and banshee in falcons now. I can trust a falcon to stay in the air at close range so my banshee can charge out next turn (1 in 12 of Death) but the serpent is too risky (1 in 3 of death)
    It has pushed me primarily back to being quite shooty again though sadly, it hasn't crippled the eldar HtH combat machine, but it's certainly made life more difficult.
    IMO
    Ask not a question of the eldar, for they will give you three answers all of which are true and horrifying to know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast