Tau codex tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Tau codex tactics

This may need to be moved to the fluff section but im not sure where it would go. If you move it just let me know.

I am not sure if i read this correctly but i was rading through the codex and found the battle plan section. It said that the tau use all of their auxillary troops as a fire base or the front line and they move around the battle field and select targets to be destroyed and that they do simulations of their battles before they occur, then it said if the plan fails the tau preserve life and run. This to me sounds like a raids army that is fairly girly. Does anyone agree.

My question is their guns are so awsome they deserve to be on the front line and dont match the fluff. Lasgun or Pulserifle. and the railgun. I realize that the tau army can be very mobile but to be a raids army their weapons dont fit and the use of the auxilarly troops is completely reverse then the way the codex plays them.

Please correct me if im wrong but this seems funny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not quite sure what your point is. You only asked one question and it was asking us to agree that the Tau fight girly. It does say that "...the Tau way of war does not recognise the concept of expendable troop." (pg.14) It does also go into the concepts entrusting safety of the troops(speaking of front line forces ie:Kroot) to covering fire from the superior firepower of the Tau of which you are speaking of.

The Tau are not really a "raiding" army or a war of attrition army. The draw out the enemy and fight on their own terms. The Tau's glaring weakness in tactica is that they rely heavily of the same tactics and will pull back to rethink a plan instead of adapting on the fly.

The key things to remember is that the Tau Empire of war values the lives of their troops and will use their superior range and mobility to protect said troops.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Tau do fight girly. You got a problem with that? They do not have the shooting power to gun down from the front line. They get outshot by marines, necrons, eldar, and guard. We have superior movement over all these races, and in fact have the best mobility in the game. Use them to their strengths, run like a girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to say someting here.
    I HALF agree.
    Tau dont have a front line, that implies attrition, they have fire support elements and a fluid assault force, is how it seems to me anyway. A fire warrior cannot stand on the front line as he will die. In my mind tau are the closest fluff wise to a modern day army.
    Tau lack the 'off the cuff' battle planning and preserve life.
    But superior mobility to all races is where i disagree, both in fluff and game terms.
    Even a mech tau force will be outmaneuvered by mech eldar and lets on even get started on the true masters of mobility, the dark eldar.
    As a Tau player you and I will see these things differently but even i can admit that the DE will outmaneuver my craftworld. The mech Tau are maneuverable but to call them the best at it, well, just compare the raider to the devilfish, and a fire Warrior to a Dark Eldar Warrior nuff said.
    But i digress, fighting a battle style that preserves life is hardly girly, its sensible and necessary given that nearly every race in the galaxy (eldar are the exception obviously) outnumber you hideously.
    Ask not a question of the eldar, for they will give you three answers all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Tau players try not to get their units killed, by playing to their strenghts (long range firepower, mobility), and this is "girly"? Would it be "manlier" just charge into hand to hand?

What kind of player does not try to use their strengths to keep their units alive and thereby win? (Besides Orks, that is. The ability to absorb huge casualties IS their strength.)

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunklezahn
    I had to say someting here.
    I HALF agree.
    Tau dont have a front line, that implies attrition, they have fire support elements and a fluid assault force, is how it seems to me anyway. A fire warrior cannot stand on the front line as he will die. In my mind tau are the closest fluff wise to a modern day army.
    Tau lack the 'off the cuff' battle planning and preserve life.
    But superior mobility to all races is where i disagree, both in fluff and game terms.
    Even a mech tau force will be outmaneuvered by mech eldar and lets on even get started on the true masters of mobility, the dark eldar.
    As a Tau player you and I will see these things differently but even i can admit that the DE will outmaneuver my craftworld. The mech Tau are maneuverable but to call them the best at it, well, just compare the raider to the devilfish, and a fire Warrior to a Dark Eldar Warrior nuff said.
    But i digress, fighting a battle style that preserves life is hardly girly, its sensible and necessary given that nearly every race in the galaxy (eldar are the exception obviously) outnumber you hideously.
    I kind of disagree with you, my friend.

I believe the Tau are, indeed, the best maneuvering army. KEY WORD = MANEUVERING. If deployed mindfully, no army can outmaneuver Mechanised Tau.

Sure. Dark Eldar, and Craftworld Eldar too, are both much faster than any Tau army out there. But certainly not more maneuverable!

This is simply an opinion, of course, and has nothing to do with the fact that I've studied up a lot on Tau/sort of play them. Because I've also studied up on DE and CE, and sort of play both of those too! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah good ole bias, i'm primarily eldar hence mine ^_^
    I just think that all races involved have fast skimmer transport, some tau have jump packs but nearly all eldar fleet. Factor in jetbikes and vypers types which the tau lack, probably due to depth perception issues, and i feel eldar are more maneuverable. Factor in armies like Saim Hain and definatly so where troops are your fast attack options.
    I'm just wondering how your defiining the criteria for maneuverability is all. With the addition of upgrades like Crstal targetting and Star engines, as well as the durability of the transports makes for a more maneuverable force.
    While the dark eldar dont have durability in transports i feel they possess even more ability. The ability to project a powerful HtH force up to 18+D6" after a 24" move the turn before means there is virtually no place on the board you cant strike at will.
    Mech tau are a highly mobile list with upwards of 5 fast skimmer tanks and crisis and stealth suits but on a large board i feel the eldar have a higher maneuverability.
    I've seen more of the much tau since their popularity has recently skyrocketted and they can prove a problem but i'd still rather have a serpant over a fish ^_^
    IMO
    Last edited by Dunklezahn; July 5th, 2005 at 10:24.
    Ask not a question of the eldar, for they will give you three answers all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll combine what both of you said into my mish-mash of thoughts.

The Tau have more flexibility in mobility. We have no "fleet of" anything, and the most any unit can move is 12 inches a turn. But, we have so many units that can move that 12 inches, with that all important assault move. If you build a straight "Mech" Tau list, you will have your opponant swatting at a bunch of mosquitos helplessly, whereas a "Mech" Eldar/DE list will get in fast, get what needs to be done, and get out fast. Kind of like....(looking for a metaphor here)....um.....AH, kind of like birds that fish. They dive in, make the kill, and take off in a matter of seconds.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Celestial
    I'll combine what both of you said into my mish-mash of thoughts.

The Tau have more flexibility in mobility. We have no "fleet of" anything, and the most any unit can move is 12 inches a turn. But, we have so many units that can move that 12 inches, with that all important assault move. If you build a straight "Mech" Tau list, you will have your opponant swatting at a bunch of mosquitos helplessly, whereas a "Mech" Eldar/DE list will get in fast, get what needs to be done, and get out fast. Kind of like....(looking for a metaphor here)....um.....AH, kind of like birds that fish. They dive in, make the kill, and take off in a matter of seconds.
    That's what I'm getting at.

I'm not saying that Tau are fast. Not at all, actually, as I can make pretty much any army with the speed of Tau. Well, almost any army.

What I'm saying is that Tau are constantly on the move, and like I saw in someone's signature they're kind of like a wasp's nest. Eldar are very much like birds of prey, as The Celestial said, and are definitely faster than wasps. But to catch a wasp, who also has a pretty nasty sting (Plasma/Fusion anyone??) would be difficult for the much faster bird of prey, simply because of the wasp's maneuverability. Am I making sense?

In the long run, maybe Eldar could have some of the maneuverability that Tau has while still keeping their wonderful speed, but honestly...how much would your Wave Serpents cost to put all of those neat (and pretty dang good) upgrades? A 'fish will cost less than 100 points (if my brain is working right...). The Hammerhead will fly around with that Railgun taking very little damage. Battlesuits with devastating guns leap out, attack, and leap back into cover before anything can get them. Drones, Fire Warriors in 'Fish, all of that speaks of a maneuverability that is rarely matched. However, one mis-deployment in the Tau player's army could spell doom for the entire army. Especially against their much, much faster counterparts, DE and CE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Yes my point was that the ability to move our tanks full speed and shoot all weapons, as well as jump shoot jump, means that tau have the best mobility. Not very fast though, however moving 12" a turn is factored into mobility. Eldar tanks will also only be moving 12" a turn usually anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast