Exchangeable Bio Weapons With Magnets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Exchangeable Bio Weapons With Magnets

It's written as an article for my "home forum"...but i thought i'd at least post it here.

Exchangeable Bio Weapons With Magnets
    by Arcas

With the new codex a lot of new interesting weapon choices for monstrous creatures have been made available, mostly by making the ranged weapons better than they were before. Especially footslogging big bugs are very potent weapon platforms now. The twelve shots of a dual twin devourer can devastate a whole ork mob with a single volley.
    Unfortunately WYSIWYG puts an end to the experiments of many players – but that doesn't need to be. Small magnets can easily be used to make the weapons interchangeable with a simply plug and play.

Neodymium (rare earth) magnets are best suited for this purpose. They are very powerful and don't lose their magnetism. I used 3mm (1/8“) *1mm disk ones for my works. Slightly larger ones will work too, but 4mm (or 1/6“) is the definite upper limit for the diameter, based on my experience. If you rip the arms off already finished models to convert them to use magnets, then 3mm ones will fit nicely into the arm holes that were shaped by the glue used to attach monstrous creature weapon bits. 4mm ones will require some work to remove a bit of the glue in the arm holes then.
    If you can get your hands on such 4mm ones, then you should consider using them though, as they will be even stronger than the 3mm ones.

I paid 1€ plus shipping for 60 of these 3mm magnets on ebay. You should be able to get them for similar prices there.

Make sure that you glue the magnets to the weapons and to the bodies with the right sides. It'd be quite annoying to find out that half of the weapons can't be attached because the magnets were attached on the wrong side and push each other away instead of pulling each other together.

I found the best way to get the magnets into position to be the tip of a piece of wire or paperclip. Tips of modelling knives or pliers aren't really suitable.

Cut off a part of the rounded piece of the weapons that normally are placed in the joint to glue a magnet to them. Place the body's magnets right in the joints.
    If something doesn't fit as planned, then you can simply remove the magnet from a weapon with the tip of a knive and do some more cutting on the weapon.

A possible problem: Balance

With the larger weapons, venom cannons and barbed stranglers, the balance is a problem. They have quite a lot of weight far away from the joint. While the joint is quite strong against pulling the arm off towards you when you look at the image from where you are, it often isn't sufficient to keep the arm in this position against the leverage effect. It will most likely rotate downwards, around the joint.
    Of course it doesn't really look that good when a tyrant drags his venom cannon through the dirt, so a solution has to be found.

There are two solutions that are generally applicable, and one that works in some cases:

The first solution to that problem is to add a counterweight on the other side. I used the top of a nail for this purpose, about an inch long. This can be enclosed in green stuff and it can look like some ammo container or a weight to compensate recoil.

The solution that i use for myself is a lot simpler though: The bio weapons happen to make contact with the legs of both my carnifex and tyrant, so i can use the legs to support the weapons. No further modification is required for this if you're a bit lucky. Perhaps a little bit on the weapon that is facing towards the bug can be used as a hook for even better grip. It will be hard to see there.

In some cases, particularly for attaching large scything talons to the old (3rd edition, perhaps it works with the new one too) carnifex, a third option is available. You can attach a little bit, e.g. a toxin sac, to the large scything talon in a way so that it blocks the rotation by having the carapace in its way. I use this for my carnifex' right talon, you can easily see it on a picture as it toxin sac that i used is still unpainted. For the left one it seems not to be necessary.

For the tyrant this generally seems not to be necessary. In case of this big bug you can position the talons very high upwards, so that their center of gravity is rather above the joint and not in front of it. This way there is no sufficient leverage effect to pull it down.

Some pics:

Last edited by ArchonAstaroth; June 29th, 2005 at 18:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I recently bought some 3mm magnets. When experimenting with mounting them found the weapons pivoting down. I have been thinking about mounting another magnet in the carapace and a small peice of paper clip into the weapon to stop it drooping.

^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a similar idea except its much easier. You know where the two arms meet that are holding the venom cannon or barbed strangler. well for transport and ease of switching i just put to magnets 1 to repace the tip of the arm, and i made the hole in the gun a little bigger, to it holds together there, and the magnet is strong enough to hold the gun, with out it, leaning down.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really understand what you are describing there, could you explain it a bit more in detail?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Kno how there are 2 arms holding the venom cannon, and BS.
    Cut the tip off the left arm. Replace with magnet
    The on the Gun make hole big enough to fit othe magnet plus, arm tip.
    It Is alot easier and only uses 2 magnets, plus if the model fall nothing breaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

My solution to the tipping weapon is like that.

I modified the BS and VC so that they fit on both sides of the fex. BS take the right side and VC takes the left. I modified the second arm such that it mounts on the outside of the weapon and fits in the second depression on the respective side. Then a small pin in that arm prevents the weapon from tipping as it is attracted to the magnect inside the second depression.
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning to do this with my new 'fex, but I can't find a decent, cheap supply of magnets in the UK (I dislike ordering from overseas). The ONLY source I can find is Maplins, and then its £10 for 30. I'm sure there must be better deals out there.
    Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Melkor
    I am planning to do this with my new 'fex, but I can't find a decent, cheap supply of magnets in the UK (I dislike ordering from overseas). The ONLY source I can find is Maplins, and then its £10 for 30. I'm sure there must be better deals out there.
    Any ideas?
    Try this place: http://www.a1parts.com/magnets/ It's over seas from the UK, but I find it's fairly priced.
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have now assemble my 'fex, and I have had little problem with sagging guns, I managed to assemble the VC/BS in such a way to keep tension on the sides. It means its not quite as flexible in assembly, but it doesn't sag during games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I just ordered a whole bunch of magnets... thanks!

+ Reply to Thread