Protection Or Speed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard lotsa peeps saying that wings are a NEED when it comes to Hive Tyrants. HOWEVER , Tyrant Guards are Genofixed , and therefore the wings cannot be used to full effectiveness (or ANY effectiveness to be more specific )
    So what is the better choice REALLY?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

I will honestly say one of the big deciding factors will be the size of your playing field. I am usually playing on a standard 8' by 4' table. That can be an awful lot of room to cover when the Tyrant can only move 6" each turn. Also, I rarely play simple straight-on battles. I am playing missions and those can be a bear, especially when your HQ are in reserve and dont' come in until turn 4.

We also have a fair selection of terrain - so boards are rarely flat expanses. I use that terrain. The Tyrant flies 12", sets down behind a bunch of trees or building, then the next turn I am looking for a new spot to take cover in at the end of his flight (or else estimating the range to the tank or squad that is his objective).

For me, the winged Tyrant is the only way to go.
    Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi again

My tyrant is only winded by chance when i took it to GW-HQ nottingham to get my tytrant glued together cus i was at a loss, it was well worth the £3 for dragon wings.

shame i cant aquire anymore wings really cheap and easy, no hassle.
    personally i dont think the plastic warriors look very good with wings, and un converted legs.
    Guess i'll have to give raveners wings and call em warriors... even if i get it wrong i can boil the glue apart and try again, whereas plastic is wasted if misstakes are made, then use plastic head ans weapons at the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends on how you play.

if you play shooty then a hive tyrant with 2 venom cannons and tyrant guard is good. as the tyrant can unload alot of shots whilst his guards take the shot sdirected at him.

if you play an assault army then i think a winged tyrant is better especially when you give it 2 pairs of scything talons. then they are extremely deadly and i try to kill these before it gets close.
    Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Except that a Tyrant can only fire one Venom Cannon at a time.

Otherwise, it depends on if you want a close combat monster or a heavy support Tyrant. If you want to get him into close combat asap, and/or you play large boards with lots of cover, wings are good.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of close combat troops and fast attack (winged warriors and gargoyles in particular), you may want a venom cannon on the Tyrant for cover and for vehicles. If you have a venom cannon, its best to guard him with Tyrant Guard since he WILL get shot at and he'll need the ablative armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Venom Cannons? Don't you guys read the codex? =).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the codex. it says choose 2 weapons from the list and venom cannon is in the list. so if that isnt allowed why is 2 sets of scything claws.
    Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether it is allowed or not is irrelevant. If you read the codex, you'll notice it says that they can only fire one weapon in the shooting phase. If that wasn't the case, you could load a Tyrant with 2 VC's and a Warp Blast and tear apart the opponent.

Heck, buy warp blast a couple of times, why stop at one?

Anyway, you can only fire one weapon during the shooting phase, but you can get the bonus of up to 2 sets of scything talons, thanks to the fact that they are Tyranid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i didnt realise and remember the only things i know about tyranids are what i ahve learnt from fighting against them not with them as i dont colect. but i do have the codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will notice in the section on ranged bioweapons that a model may only shoot one bioweapon per turn.

Using a warp power also counts as "shooting" so you can EITHER shoot a VC or use a psy power.

It specifically says you can use more than one set of scything talons at the same time.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast