Codex Error or My Mistake? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Codex Error or My Mistake?

For the Wraiths, a BS is listed for them, but they do not have a ranged weapon. Is this a printing error? For example Scarabs have no BS, as they have no weapons.

Could someone please let me know if they know the scoop on this?

Thanks for your help!

sakenpo@ptd.net
    Lower/Lesser rating always ships first!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some things that don't have shooting weapons still have BS listed.

As far as I can tell, its not necessarily a mistake, just irrelevant.

In the new Tyranid Codex, the Broodlord has a BS, but no ability to get ranged weapons...

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Well, its just easier to add supplementals later. The deciver for example has a BS but no ranged weapons. I imagine that if there was to be a change in say white dwarf, they wound't have to work in a BS. Anyway, thats just my theory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter777
    Well, its just easier to add supplementals later. The deciver for example has a BS but no ranged weapons. I imagine that if there was to be a change in say white dwarf, they wound't have to work in a BS. Anyway, thats just my theory.
    He might. As opposed to the aforementioned Broodlord (with BS of 3, he'd be good at shooting for a 'nid), who will probably never ever get such a thing, for fear of being rather frightening to everyone. Of course, the same would probably be true of the Deciever.

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

bs tells you how well the creature could shoot if given a gun (just because you have never held a gun before doesn't mean you can't shoot one). So wraiths, if given a gun COULD should it with a bs 4. It makes sense if you think of that stat line as their physical atributes. Not every thing something can do will be used.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most armies have baseline stats that all their models have, and custom units are built from there.

From a fluff standpoint, it makes sense for all the Necrons to have the same WS/BS. Why would the C'Tan want to write a different melee/firing program for each type of necron? A few oddballs like tomb spyders and scarabs are different, but they'd need a separate control app anyway since they aren't humanoid.

That, of course, is assuming that there's an AI in there. If the souls of the Necrontyr actually pilot the things, than it would make sense to me that a warrior who did exceptionally well in a CC might be upgraded to a flayer or wraith. He used to have a gun, so he stills remembers how to use it even though it isn't there this incarnation around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It say's in the Flayed ones entry that they have BS4 too. But its probably a "just in case" kinda thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

It's like Redtwin says. All basic model types have a basic statline.

Example, all humans in flak armor have the base statline 3 3 3 3 2 3 1 8 5+
    Just because you've got a human without a gun, doesn't mean his BS goes from 3 to 0. When GW makes a new type of model, they come up with the statline and equate that to a base number of points. Then they use that basic statline to come up with a reasonable price hike for "better" units.
    Secondary Example: for 6 points you get 1 IG Trooper with the above statline and a flashlight (statline = 5pts, flashlight = 1pt). Increase the BS by 1, the SV by 1, the gun's AP by 2, give them a targeter and you get a stormtrooper.

Ballparking...bs = 1 pt, sv = 1pt, ap = .5/pt pts, targeter = 1pt
    Therefore a stormtrooper should cost around 10 points total to make up for his increased stats compared to a normal human.

Now, why do some units have a BS and not have a gun? Well, take the same stormtrooper. Going by the same scale if we increase the WS by 1, and replace his gun with a second CCW we get:
    Base 10pts
    WS = 1pt
    BS (-4) = -4pts
    flashlight = -1 pt
    2nd CCW = 1pt
    Total 7pts for a trooper with the following statline:
    WS4 BS0 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1+1 LD8 SV4+

For less than half the points you get a CC trooper with almost the same stats as a space marine. This guy is SERIOUSLY under-pointed.

Hope I helped.
    Wake. Rise. Destroy. Conquer.
    We have done so once. We will do so again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No typo there, i m guessing that it is for any custom made Characters you might make and play with ur friends...that way there are some guidelines so that no unfair play could occur.
    "You think you know fear? You haven't seen the relentless advance of death against you! You think you know pain? You haven't felt the liquid steel of the cyborgs' blade as they silently scream their pleasure in your face. It doesn't matter if you are human, orc, or any other mutated creature in this Universe; they killed us all once and they'll do it again. They want to do it again. Their number is Legion; their name is Death...who are we to get in their way?!"

Unknown source

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going with the "all base necrons are WS4 BS4...etc"

They talk in the destroyer fluff that it's an immortal slapped on a skimmer. Same kinda deal. They are all the same basic unit but attached to different bits of body and gear. So...same stats...
    DirkSJ
    "I have plenty of talent and vision; I just don't give a f..."

+ Reply to Thread