Gaunt Numbers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gaunt Numbers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Gaunt Numbers

I currently have 24 hormagaunts, 16 spineguants, and 8 gargoyles (converted from termagents). My question is how many more do I need of each? I thought about getting one more box to fill up my gargs to a useable 16 beast squad and getting up to two squads of 16 hormies, but I like the idea of a horde army and it is tough to play a horde when you are paying 11 and 12 points per model. So my question is do I need to get two boxes so that I can get another brood of 16 spinegaunts and fill up my gargoyles, or can I realistically just have one brood of 16 in an army (I currently play from 1500-2000 points)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

That's really all going to come down to how many gaunts you are comfortable with fielding. Cheaper gaunts are going to be more numerous, but then they won't be as effective in CC as the Hormies. I use 40 Hormagaunts (20 and 20) in my 1500 point army, but a friend of mine fields 80 (40 Hormies, 40 Termies). I'd start with an idea of how many you wanted to field, then throw in your Synapse and support units, then figure out if you need to either shave from the more expensive gaunts to add more of the cheaper ones or if you're happy with the layout as is.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10
    I currently have 24 hormagaunts, 16 spineguants, and 8 gargoyles (converted from termagents). My question is how many more do I need of each? I thought about getting one more box to fill up my gargs to a useable 16 beast squad and getting up to two squads of 16 hormies, but I like the idea of a horde army and it is tough to play a horde when you are paying 11 and 12 points per model. So my question is do I need to get two boxes so that I can get another brood of 16 spinegaunts and fill up my gargoyles, or can I realistically just have one brood of 16 in an army (I currently play from 1500-2000 points)
    Myself I am using just one unit of homragaunts because with FoC and leaping they can get into combat real quick. However, as you pointed out the point cost is high for critters that are not all that effective in combat do to lower than SMurf strength. I refer ence Smurfs 'cause the vast majority of my local players use GW's golden children. Since you have to buy the boxes any ways think of it like this:

12 hormagaunts = 24 spinegaunts pointwise (without extra biomorphs)
    12 hormagaunts = 24 spinegaunts for normal number of attacks, but only 75% as much on charge
    12 horamgaunts = 1/2 as much as 24 spinegaunts for number of wounds/models

My horde strategy involves 1 unit of 7 ripper swarms and 1 unit of 14-16 hormagaunts and the 3 units of 14-16 spine/termagaunts.

BTW: what did you use for wings on your conversion?
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

I went really cheap with the wings and I just use thin plastic (from collectable card game sleeves) with hot glue added to make it look like their are bones in the wings. I have some posted in the gallery and will try to get the link posted if I can figure out how to do it...you guys all make me feel like I don't play enough gaunts...I curently have 48 in my 2000 point army and I think I am going to have to get some more quickly.

EDIT I hope this link works http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...=3&userid=7281
    Last edited by nichodemus10; July 8th, 2005 at 05:24.

Onboard my Leviathan class Hiveship (Sweden)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think that I will have 52 gaunts in my 1500 pts army taht I am goin to build!

Setup:

2 x 16 Hormagaunts

1 x 20 Spinegaunts

I think that I wll do just fine with that!

But I might consider shawing off 4 of those spinegaunts so i can afford extended carapace on my other carnie....

How many gaunts you wanna field is really a question about taste. but for a hord army I Guess that 52 is minimum in 1500 pts!

Have fun with your gaunts

PS: ** Link to my first go at a 'nid army list ** ([1500] Tyranid (my first go at a list!)) Please take a look and leave a comment!

/Mirakel_Jocke
    Last edited by mirakel_jocke; July 8th, 2005 at 14:03. Reason: Cause I need to type slower... stupid spelling mistakes....
    Signature? What signature?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With gaunts, try to spread out numbers. Remember there are 6 troop slots, so if u even out the numbers (in theory) they survive longer. ie squad of SMs shoot squad of 20 spinegaunts at 12". Assuming 2 of them have special/heavy weapoins, ur still gonna take a lot of bolter fire that will decimate the squad. So from that ur looking at 5-6 survive. However, if u have 2 10 spinegaunt squads, they will only be able to target and decimate one squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wat Havarel said is probably the sinlg most important piece of information your ever goin to hear in your lifetime. unless vsin Tau squads can noly target 1 other squad so like Havarel said dont place all your eggs in 1 basket. but however be careful and dont place 14 or lower ina squad otherwise unless your really good at tactics and multiple attack points youll die easilly as each squad wont be able to do jack by itself unless supportted.

your best bet is to use about 15-20 guants per 500pts ( this is what i use and it works quite well) this is a good enough number and dosent crowd your army to much but gives enough units to give it lasting power.
    now as to wether to use "dirt cheap" guants or hard-hitting guants is up to you and your style of play moast ppl prefer a mix so that they have units that can tie squads up and units that can actually take squads down. i find thet if you lean slightly heavier towards hard-hitting units it gives your army just a little bit more punch (about a 60-40 ratio).

(just my 2 cents and if u want completly ignore the previous statments)

remember its your choice and your style of play.

+ Reply to Thread