Librarium Online Forums banner

Falcon Problems

954 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Hivefleet Mordacii 
#1 ·
It has been said before that every army has trouble bringing down a falcon.
I think Tyranids have it worse. Last game I played v eldar, not even my flying tyrant cound catch the thing. At playing only 500 pts, I also had no long range firepower. Is there some way I could kill this thing? Every time I get close he moves 24" in the other direction!

Hmmmmmm, maybe I should sacrifice a few gaunts for warpblast.

any suggestions?

#2 ·
In larger games, you won't have a problem with the Falcon. VC Tyrants and VC Fexes tend to make short work of even the strongest of tanks. In 500 point games though....you may want to try 40K in 40 minutes rules. There is a scenario in the BGB for small points games, but damned if I can remember what page it's on.

#3 · (Edited)
If it moves 24" it can't fire that turn (in case u didn't know)

Best bet against a falcon is to force it to turn its back to something since the eldar shield only applies to the front and sides and back armor is only 10

And i'd have to disagree, a VC isn't going to do a heck of alot against a falcon.

Assuming front or side armor:

u'd need 4's to glance with a HT or 2's to glance with a Fex.

Then u have to roll 2d6 for the holo-field. Assuming it moved more than 6", u'd have a 10% chance of killing it. If it moved less than 6" (which against nids isn't a big problem) u'd only have a 5% chance of killing it! I say get as much as you can in CC and ignore the falcon.

#4 ·
note: its the wave serpent that has the sheilds not the flacon. so a S10 VC can pull it down without much hassle :/

#5 ·
Still, even without the shields, the holofield is still a pain to get past. and if it moves over 6" it's glancing only so even the BS off the Fex won't pen it.

#6 ·
OK I by no means an expert on nids, but I am (blow my own trumpet time) on eldar. Falcons, as someone pointed out, can not move more than 12 inches and fire, so if he has to move further than that he can shoot.

His defences may work in a number of ways, but I would gues we are talking holofield and spirit stones, holofield will affect all round (as someone pointed out, it is the shield on the wave serepent that hits from behind get ignored). Bot what these achieve is to lessen the impact, in the balance of probabilities, of your damage being serious. They are by no means fool proof. the spirit stones he has to dice for and has a 50:50 chance of having no efffect, the holofield is equally moody, it may make damage worse.

His biggest advantage is the fact he is a fast skimmer so all your hits will probably glance.

The trick is a lot of hits, hit it as often as possible (bear in mind his armour is weak), this may be a problem for nids, that I grant you, but something like an assault cannon is death to a falcon.

Now, specificaly how to hunt him down - simple hammer and anvil - he does not have unlimited movement, he can not move of the table, he can not afford to move near your faster moving units, place these across the table and he only has half a table to work with, get your tank hunters central to that half an you ought to be able to pin him against a table edge

#7 ·
500 points and you took a winged tyrant? Most people would scream cheese if i ever tried to pull that. I really dont bring him in until 650 and even then hes not fully evolved, otherwise my friends just give me a look. Fighting eldar i take a bit more shooty, seeing as you run into fast skimmers, as well as his hq and elites like scropions and banshees which can really hurt in cc. For those cases catalyst is your friend.

#8 ·
Drazidaw said:
500 points and you took a winged tyrant? Most people would scream cheese if i ever tried to pull that. I really dont bring him in until 650 and even then hes not fully evolved, otherwise my friends just give me a look. Fighting eldar i take a bit more shooty, seeing as you run into fast skimmers, as well as his hq and elites like scropions and banshees which can really hurt in cc. For those cases catalyst is your friend.

And he's fighting a flashy falcon. I would call that worse than a winged tyrant.

Unfortunetly nids are lacking in the S7+ catagory of ranged weaponry. And I for one don't want to try to hit the falcon in CC. Perhaps if you devote all the shots you have to it, you may do something to it.

#9 · (Edited)
dymew said:
And he's fighting a flashy falcon. I would call that worse than a winged tyrant.

Unfortunetly nids are lacking in the S7+ catagory of ranged weaponry. And I for one don't want to try to hit the falcon in CC. Perhaps if you devote all the shots you have to it, you may do something to it.
Yeah i didnt think about the flashy falcon. Whatever happened to the good ol days of starting out with an HQ and 2 troop choices?

Hmm, perhaps 3 warriors with deathspitters? 3 shots, 1.5 hit, .5 wound. So after 2 rounds of shooting statistically should get a glancing hit, which should do something to it.

That would be fun though, making 2 armies of pure 500 pt cheese and have them going at it. I wonder if its possible to make an army of a HT, 6 ripper swarms, and 2 carnifexs :) :)

#10 ·
Hmm, have fun with my 420 point seer council and 2 guardian squads.

Dethspitters? Only if ur pulling back armor and unless i absoulutely have to show you the butt of my falcon, i try not to. if ur hitting F or S that's a 1/6 chance of a glance. Then the holofield (which can't possibly make it worse seeing as how u take 2 dice and take the lowest)

#11 ·
You could get 2 Fexes with STx2, a Winged Tyrant with WB, TS and STx2, a unit of 3 rippers and a unit of 20 spine gaunts in 500 points. ( I think, working from my head [stop looking at me like that, lots of people memorize upgrade costs from the codex] so I might be off.) That all comes into 500 on the nose.

#13 ·
It's a good strat but you're missing the point that the falcon has more manuverability than anything we have. Unles you manage to trap it, it's very hard to bring it down.

#14 ·
well with winged warriors with fleshborers u only need to get within 12", and being able to move 12" a turn, it shouldnt be too hard (hopefully :p )
or if u get a fex with TL devourers or something (cheap and lots of weak shots to try to keep those glancing hits coming) u only need to get within 18" etc

you only need to get within x distance to shoot it. which gives you more scope to move around hit it, sure itll still be a pain to get close enough to it, but the range of devourers or manouverability of winged warriors should make the job easier. Its about the best you can get at 500 points id say - unless you want to go the whole hog and get some VC's to really lay the smack down... (mmm cheap hq and/or 20 spinegaunts ;) )

#15 ·
Thanks guys. I should say that he only used a falcon because I used a flying tyrant in a previous game of the same points and butchared him. So if anyone has the right to scream cheese, its him.

And my Tyrant was a cc version, no warp blast or VC. Kinda my own mistake.

Thanks again for all your input, it has been duely noted.

~Mordacii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.