[Necron] To B Shooty or to B Smacky?! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Necron] To B Shooty or to B Smacky?!

Well. Here I am again...

Something I've been thinking about recently that seems quite unnoticed, is that all Necron strategies goes about manauvrability (Spellin... gawd forbid), and then I thought, but I always wanted to play the C'Tan as a Shooting Army. Yea sure you need to move - and don't get me wrong - I play an CSM EC army and moving is right up there for me. But since I want to brake away from CCW and play a bit of a different strategy. Would it be wise to play Necrons as a pure shooty army? If so, here is a list I'm pondering on:

1000 Pts - Necrons Army (Shooty Buggers)

1 Necron Lord
    Staff of Light
    Destroyer Body
    Resurrection Orb

6 Immortals
    Gauss Blaster

10 Warriors
    Gauss Flayer
    10 Warriors
    Gauss Flayer

3 Destroyers
    Gauss Cannon
    3 Destroyers
    Gauss Cannon

Necrons: 33
    Phase Out at: 8
    Models in Army: 33
    Total Army Cost: 998

I think it would be quite interesting to hear which is better for the C'Tan...
    Shoot or Assault?!

:lol:

"...there can be no greatness, without a hint of insanity!"
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No HD?

Where are youre tank hunters?
    My hate is contagious...

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Where are youre tank hunters?
    Every single other model in his army save the Lord.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

mmmm, Gauss... (in that homer simpson like way)

But more to the point, Necrons are shooty, They only assaulting they'll do is a counter charge so that they can shoot more next turn.

As for the C'tan, he'll do much better in CC than with his large blast templates of doom.
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

The C'Tan do the most damage close up, particularly the Nightbringer. Any model within six inches of the Nightbringer is in a very bad place. Even the Deceiver is a hard nut in close combat.

However, in a list that is intended to be range-oriented, it is not recommended to take either of the C'Tan. The Nightbringer has one ranged weapon (IIRC), and the Deceiver has none at all.
    Moreover, the C'Tan are both amazing point-sinks and mostly just end up costing your army that many more guns.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

While El-Deceivo has no ranged weapons, his Psychic powers are quite deadly if used correctly.

Grand Illusion can let you get into an even better shooting position, since it allows you to redeploy up to your whole army after set up.

(I'm a little shakey on the other names, bear with me and refer to your codex)
    Decieve can cause units to fall back or be pinned, allowing your shooters to flay safely from a distance.

His ability to leave any combat on any round is nice too. Charge him into CC, let it happen so the other unit piles in. On your opponents round, leave combat and strand them there and on your following round, blast them with your shooters and charge the C'Tan back in (if anyone is left). Wash, Rinse, Repeat on other units.
    Last edited by Gojiratoho; July 15th, 2005 at 17:56. Reason: typos
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

GAR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it were me, I would drop the Destroyers all together and get another unit of Immortals, bumping both units up to 8 strong each. Or at least add another 6 man unit of immortals and add more warriors. I think Destroyers are a waste of points when compared to a greater number of warriors. Warriros are the backbone of your army and will be absorbing a lot of firepower as peope foolishly try to phase you out. The more Warriors you have, the more freedom you will have to use your hard hitting units ( ie Immortals, Pariahs, and Heavy Destoyers) on key targets. Plus More warriros or immortals are less susceptible to be wiped out and not to get to roll WBB regardless due to lack of similar model in close proximity
    GAR,
    THE BEATINGS SHALL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

That a good suggestion GAR, but dropping the destroys would leave FX Morph with no long range fire. Destroyers have an effective range of 48" (weapon + movement) and while more Warriors/Immortals will up hiw PO more, he'd be much more susceptible to enemy long range fire (as they could fire at him without worry of being fired back upon for a turn or 2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shooty army... why the Dlord?

if he has a res orb, you would want him with ur warriors, not speeding 6 in further ahead of them every turn.

really u want him either to support the warriors for when the enemy gets close, or bouncing the immortals round with VoD. Dlord is only good when with wraiths or scarabs as a CC unit.

Senior Member Evil von Doomstein's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunisia
    shooty army... why the Dlord?

if he has a res orb, you would want him with ur warriors, not speeding 6 in further ahead of them every turn.

really u want him either to support the warriors for when the enemy gets close, or bouncing the immortals round with VoD. Dlord is only good when with wraiths or scarabs as a CC unit.
    This is most certainly true. I usually use mine to support Warriors, because my most of my friends play CC armies. But VoD works nicely,too. Its just more risky.(I hate losing a squad of Immortals and a Lord of the table edge!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gojiratoho
    That a good suggestion GAR, but dropping the destroys would leave FX Morph with no long range fire. Destroyers have an effective range of 48" (weapon + movement) and while more Warriors/Immortals will up hiw PO more, he'd be much more susceptible to enemy long range fire (as they could fire at him without worry of being fired back upon for a turn or 2)
    I agree with this too. Keep the Destroyers for longer range anti-tank, and a good mobile firebase.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast