Scarab Meat Shield for Flayed Ones - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Scarab Meat Shield for Flayed Ones

Before you say "Why not just use a Monolith?", I am making an army list without one. Every player and his uncle expects a VOD/Monolith combo in Necron army. I have had the Monolith blasted out from under me in the first turn too many times to waste the points on it any more. When I deep strike it appears on either turn 3 or 4 so it's basically useless to me also.

This leaves the question "How do I effectively move upfield without getting hammered as I walk there?".

Then I remembered that any models in an assault block line of site to everything behind it. I quickly changed my assault tactics.

I move a unit of scarabs ahead of my main force. I usually use a unit scarabs to hunt flanking units and another to hunt tanks with D-Fields. Now I smash the normal scarab unit into the enemy front-lines! Most players typically put their cannon-fodder units in front of the more expensive units. My full unit of scarabs can easily survive a few rounds against these guys, they even take out some as a bonus. Since this assault is now effectively blocking line of sight to every unit behind it I can walk my Flayed Ones forward without return fire. As an added bonus, all of their HVY units must either move or not shoot since they have LOS blocked. Once the Flayed Ones reach the front lines they simply join the assault already in progress and it's clobbering time!

Even without an assault force this tactic still gives you a few turns of nearly-free movement. It's nice to see the final scarab fall just as 40 of your warriors finally come into gauss range.

This seems to be a great tactic for implementing the Pariah + Flayed Ones combo (I have not tried this combo yet) .

Let me know your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure why your walking your flayed ones up the feild when they can deep strike even when the rules dont even allow it, and ussually I dont use a scarab meat sheild, just more flayed ones
    My Armies
    Eldar 11-1-1
    Necrons 9-1-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Raider615
    Im not sure why your walking your flayed ones up the feild when they can deep strike even when the rules dont even allow it, and ussually I dont use a scarab meat sheild, just more flayed ones
    I don't like to DS Flayed Ones as they are sitting ducks on their first turn and you have no idea when they show up. The whole idea of the meat shield is to use it on turn 1 or 2 at the latest to make a wall using an assault to protect your oncoming troops.

I also use scarabs as they are cheaper, faster, and have many more wounds than a squad of flayed ones. Therefore they save points, get to their objective quicker, and last for more turns once there.

I think you missed the whole point. Every player out there is expecting you to use DS to move your troops around. They wait until you DS and then simply shoot the heck out of them at range. Since Flayed Ones can't shoot back they just sit there for the first turn. Relying on the randomness of DS is exactly what I'm trying to prevent.

The meat shield also protects your valuable units like destroyers since assaults block LOS for all infantry models by default. I was also trying to prevent my destroyers from becoming destroyed by the second turn.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarabs are small targets and therefore do not block line of sight to anything except other small targets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Isgee
    Scarabs are small targets and therefore do not block line of sight to anything except other small targets.
    But the units that they're fighting in CC most likely aren't small targets, therefore, LOS is blocked.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a good tactic. I will have to give it a try. I find scarabs are always a welcome addition no matter who my opponents are and the more tricks I have w/ them the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWamp
    But the units that they're fighting in CC most likely aren't small targets, therefore, LOS is blocked.
    Ah, I assumed he meant just walking them infront of the flayed ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Isgee
    Ah, I assumed he meant just walking them infront of the flayed ones.
    But since 4th edition, they wouldn't block line of sight even if the thing beyond was a small target. For the enemy troops scouts don't block LOS to the terminators behind, even though they're the same size. You just have to make a Ld. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

Lord Creampuff, don't forget how far Scarabs can move. If you want to screen your FO with Scarabs, go ahead and DS them, odds are the Scarabs will be able to turboboost to where the FO ended up with little problem. Remember, they only need to be the closest unit to cause a Target Priority check.

Isgee, no size 2 or size 3 unit blocks LoS unless they are in CC, and then they only block LoS to the size of the largest combatant. However, Scarabs still force Target Priority checks if they are the closest unit.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much thanks.

+ Reply to Thread