Designing Tyrant & Fex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designing Tyrant & Fex

I have it! I finally have the new codex in my hands and it has changed my ideas a lot. I have spent pretty much time with it and the most fun part was designing these two creatures. The Hive Tyrant and the mighty Carnifex.
    I'd like maybe some opinions about these biomorph enhancements, because I could say that I don't really have much experience with Warhammer so please be free to tell if theres something that could end up being my doom in battle...

Now here's my idea for a H-Tyrant in my army:

Tyrant with Bonesword & Lashwhip, VC + Extended Carapace, Toxic Miasma, Implant Attack, Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands (1+I), Adrenal Glands (1+WS) and Enhanced Senses...
    I think that was it...

Carnifex:

Crushing Claws & Scythin Talons + Adrenal Glands (1+WS), Extended Carapace, Bonded Exoskeleton, Reinforced Chitin, maybe Implant Attack & Tusked, Toxin Sacs, Toxic Miasma...

What do you guy's think?

Excerpt from the memoir of Inquisitor Czevak
    ...We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all it must know us only as Prey."

- Inquisitor Czevak at the Conclave of Har,
    from the Har Transcriptorium.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan Controller
    I have it! I finally have the new codex in my hands and it has changed my ideas a lot. I have spent pretty much time with it and the most fun part was designing these two creatures. The Hive Tyrant and the mighty Carnifex.
    I'd like maybe some opinions about these biomorph enhancements, because I could say that I don't really have much experience with Warhammer so please be free to tell if theres something that could end up being my doom in battle...

Now here's my idea for a H-Tyrant in my army:

Tyrant with Bonesword & Lashwhip, VC + Extended Carapace, Toxic Miasma, Implant Attack, Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands (1+I), Adrenal Glands (1+WS) and Enhanced Senses...
    I think that was it...

Carnifex:

Crushing Claws & Scythin Talons + Adrenal Glands (1+WS), Extended Carapace, Bonded Exoskeleton, Reinforced Chitin, maybe Implant Attack & Tusked, Toxin Sacs, Toxic Miasma...

What do you guy's think?
    IMHO, both miniatures will look great and cool, but be quite ineffective in the game, so it depends on whether you want them for display of to play.

melee carnies rarely see combat, and crushing claws are generally too expensive for their benefits. With all those upgrades your carnifex is a big points sink who will rarely get his points back (but look formidable ). So many armour/wounds upgrades is kinda overkill.

The tyrant should focus either on shooting or meleeing, and being a walking tyrant, I'd concentrate on shooting. Therefore, you should wonder if all those melee upgrades are interesting for a gun-toting tyrant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wat kinda of army are u fielding troop wise? loads of gaunts, stealers or warriors/ravenors?

Ur Tyrant: Dunno if people will agree but the BoneSword/Lashwhip combos abit poo. Looks nice on the model but is abit expensive for the rewards. The Lash whip only works for models in base contacts, and a good player will just stick basic units in B2B and then have the powerfist behind them giving ur beats. Just chuck on some extra scything Talons.

Implant Attack u only really need if ur going character hunting. So if ur taking a broodlord i wouldnt bother.

Oh, and if u've got him walking 2/3 guards is a MUST.

Ur Carnifex: Personally i recon the Carnifex has been neutered. Hes bigged up as this Uber-CC unit but the truth is, he never gets there untill most things are dead anyway and hes just clean up crew. Where as ur tyrant can use the guards to walk up shooting then engage. A fex will either get shot by everything and die or take so long running between cover he'll never get there.

Id just go for the nice cheap:

163 – Carnifex: Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler.

who will stand at the bac and provide the tank popping power the nid army lacks and fire support for ur faster units that can actually get into close combat. Plus, he'll hold ur starting table quarter nicely.

BUT, if ur determined to have a CC fex, i'd give him a gun so he can do something. Venom Cannon is recommended but u'll need enhanced sesnse. If ur keeping him 'cheap' take the Twin-Linked DeathSpitter. More ranged than the devourer and twin-linked. (unlike the venom)

Drop the Toxic Sac, strength 9 is enough.

Loose the Crushing Claws. Take 2 scything Talons instead cos then u have 4attacks (5 on charge) guarateed. instead of rolling the risk of the unlucky 1.

And with Implant Attack, Only anygood if ur going character hunting, which tbh, the Broodlord and reunite is better for. As most will try and keep away from u.
    Last edited by w00kie; July 21st, 2005 at 14:24.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, I agree in most parts. I haven't bought them yet so there's still time to plan...
    My friends, whom I usually play with, have Tau and Chaos. Though the other plays also with SM and Eldar. I was worrying a bit that if I'd make a CC fex that it would get shot down or atleast gotten itself in a lot of fire but it could be a good thing right? Atleast everyone would hopefully concentrate on bringing him down while all my other small troops like hormies or stealers would just charge and overflow the enemy...hopefully...
    Another idea with the tyrant was a shooty one with VC and Warp Blast.
    It's all about the points and how will the Monstrous Creatures handle if all the fire will be concentrated on them. That's why I thought the fex should have atleast 5 wounds and 2+save...well atleast theres still a lot of other options for them.
    Thanks for the ideas guy's.

P.S. My army is pretty small right now but I was planning on making a balanced one with both cc and shooty creatures.
    Excerpt from the memoir of Inquisitor Czevak
    ...We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all it must know us only as Prey."

- Inquisitor Czevak at the Conclave of Har,
    from the Har Transcriptorium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ur going to use ur Fex as a spounge, dont sink so many points in him.

That fex u put up is 214 points, chuck a Venom Cannon on him and ur looking at 257pts for something that could die round 2 :-/

Also, really. U only really need him to survive of 2 rounds then really, u troops should be in their lines and its game over.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i usealy bring my tyrant with a lash whip and sword. i find that it is better than paying for the extra init on the gaunts. and if you fight eldar banshees you can actually win combat. hurray for dead models striking back.

and that has taken me from loosing a few games to at least tieing.
    I love fielding 10,000 points per-player. DECOS all the way baby.
    Nurgle Demonic Legion: 19W-3L-5T.
    Tyranid All Shooty List: 10W-5L-6T

Is it too much when you can field 20k in fantasy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good way around that for walking tyrants is to take lash whips on the tyrant guard. This is very logical for many reason. First, an extra scything attack automatically bypasses armor unlike an extra rending attack. Also, the lash whip remove an extra attack is just a nice "extra feature". So if your tyrant guard make it into combat alive, its nice to have. Plus, the guard have rending still. Also very useful since last edition tyrant guard were armed this way

I agree though that catalyst is quite useful, especially for raveners, warriors, and gaunts to a degree. Ravs and warriors count on their high initiative and if you are assaulting into cover, it kind of bites for them. Also, it gives gaunts extra staying power. I think of catalyst as my universal "frag grenades". However, since walking tyrants usually get venom cannon, have extended carapace instead of warp field, you can have your one psychic power be catalyst and still get the extra attack from a scything talon. Like I said earlier, if your tyrant guard make it in with their lash whips, you cover all your bases.
    Last edited by hoya4life3381; July 21st, 2005 at 20:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Twin linked devourers kills infantry (and the ocasional skimmer) like there is no tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lleu
    Since Devourers are taken as Twin-Linked as standard for the Carnifex or Hive Tyrant, each pair is treated as a separate weapon.

Phaet, you're quite right. GW are very much against re-rolling re-rolls. The issue was that taking the same weapon biomorph twice made them count as Twin-Linked but Devourers were already Twin-Linked so it was a little confusing.
    This is from the lash whips thread I think.
    Last edited by Catachan Devil; July 21st, 2005 at 20:35. Reason: Added a quote

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pleae, restrain yourself from using lashwhip/bonesword unless your making a godzilla army, wich you are not.

If you really want a cc tyrant, you can go wrong with 2x sct talon and wings.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

In my opinion, EC and the +1 W for the fex are always good upgrades. It may be 40 pts, but I've won a meatgrinder mission because I gave my fex that extra wound and EC. Its also really good if your like me and tend to always roll 2s for saves. The extra T is usually useless as anything it will work against (at least against SM, which is all I ever play against) you will get your 2+ save against. As for the tyrant, I'd go Tl'd dev and VC, with ES, EC, TS and 2 or 3 guard. 6 tl'd la'd shots at s5 and 3 shots at s8, and all hit on a 3+.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast