Done with USF - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Done with USF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done with USF

So ive been playing USF strictly since I got the EoT codex. I played a large number of games against SM and CSM and even a little necrons and had great success. I didnt dominate but they were a very fun army to play with. Then the one I play most is Tau. I just cant get a good enough stratigy with how the USF works to counter my friends Mech Tau.

I will get only 1-2 wraithgates (which ties my hands because thats a lot of points right there) and start with only my reapers and a squad of guardians on the table. I can just never get the gate in good enough position to make it worth my while. The Mech tau have a huge advantage that they can move quickly to set up the perfect spot for where my gates are placed. They huddle around it far enough away that I cant assault when they come out and im blown away by the superior (only to the USF) firepower of the Tau.

I like the USF but im giving them up and going back to Vanilla I think. I miss my tanks anyway. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Firstly How many points is this?

for firepower you still have war-walkers and support weapon batteries. (fragile though they may be)

now lets see............ Believe it or not against tau the eldar missile launcher dominates, although some of the models that can carry them are not at your disposal you still have war walkers and your reaper exarches, arm them with missile launches, use plasma against troops to ignore their save and krak against vechiles, also get some brightlances, they pop vechiles and instant-kill suits (very usefull) Dark reapers are goooooooooood. O yeah I forgot Vypers they can carry both of those weapons or the all powerful starcannons.

Against tau, I would have no idea who to send the seer council against though.......

EDIT: I have an idea that would be a HUGE waste of points but it would ruin the tactic of your friend. Park your seer council at the webway portal so he can't surround it without getting axed.
    Last edited by Tenozuma; July 21st, 2005 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As Tenozuma said, we really do need an indication of the numbes of points, classically at certain points levels Eldar (and specifically USF) suffer, in addition to this, generally Tau are very different to most (if not all armies) so you may need to radically modify your list
    Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say the average I play vs. this Tau player is 1750. I have played up to 2500 with USF.

I guess my biggest problem is the deployment. I feel that the Wraithgates really hinder my first couple of turns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats USF. Im alittle slow with the letter standing for words thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Catchan - USF - Ulthwe Strike force, a variation of the Codex craftworld Ulthwe Craftworld list from codex eye of terror - requires you to have codecis Eldar, Craftworld and Eye of Terror (EoT) and basically forbids anything bigger than a vyper, and half your army arrives through a wraithgate

Window licker - of course the wraithgate hinder you first couple of turns, oe assumes you are using 2 in a battle of this size, that is both the pain and the pleasure behind this army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

Problem with Tau is that their basic troop has a 4+ save, and most Commanders will stock up on basic troops, and we have but a single weapon which is AP4. AP5 doesn't quite cut it, but stocking up on AP3 weapons is a bit of a waste, however, you hasve to get a balance. It may seem a good idea to get bigger squads on the table at the start of the game, but provided your tables have a good coverage of terrian, many smaller squads are much superior. 2 Defender Squads with a Warlock and Wraithgate each (sub one for Seer Council if you want) and give them no weapon platform. Get Reapers will an Exarch, Eldar Missile Launcher, Fast Shot (2 AP 4 Blast Templates/Instant-kill Crisis) and deploy any other heavy equipment (Support Weapons).
    Versus Tau, a combination of Guardians, Reapers and Vypers are your best bet. Reapers, as mentioned before, with 2 AP4 Blast Templates or Crisis killing. Vypers for Starcannons and or dual Shuriken Cannons. Guardians, because they're cheap and allow you to get more squads at the beginning of the game, enough massed fire will pull down anything and a Warlock with Destructor will wreck *anything*. Guardian Jetbikers also work well with a Warlock with Destructor, who will wreck fire warriors. Due to Tau's not so hot Leadership, Mind War can be exceedingly useful vs a Shas'o or Broadside. Your main problem, as I see it, is Tank. Tau's armour is nothing heavy, usually a fairly good set of medium values, so the Bright Lance isn't too effective due to lack of shots, and S6 weapons are generally expensive, and can't actually damage AV13 Hammerhead. Combined with our lack of S7 weapons, and lack of Falcons (who's Pulse Laser would be ideal) we have to use a different method. A Vyper with 2 Shuriken Cannons is 80 points, and pumps out 6 BS4 S6 shots. This causes (on average) 2 Glances on the rear of a Hammerhead/Devilfish, and about 1 on AV 11 (don't know Hammerhead side values). Fire Dragons would also be very good, but they'd have to remain in the Webway to protect them from a certain Submunition blast, and this will limit their effectiveness due to mobility. With all this information, and specific Tau-Counter units, you should be able to come up with something.
    You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys couldnt be more correct about the EML. Those are really the weapon that is the bane of Tau. I use them but like Neb said the front armor on the Hammerhead my opponent gets is 13 and missles just dont cut the mustard.
    One of the problems I was having was my Warwalkers. They are cracker jack hot when they first walk out of the Wraithgate and everyone is scared. But after one round of firing it the squadren gets taken down quite effectivly by the Taus main troop weapon which is STR 5.

+ Reply to Thread