Kroot Tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kroot Tactics

With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Kroot Tactics

How do you use your Kroot?

Personally, I use a squad of 14 with 6 hounds as a 'front line meat shield' too keep shooting away from my Fire Warriors. Of course, I also use those Kroot to move forward and slow down the enemy. Sometimes I use them to anchor a flank, but I perfer a stronger unit for that role.

I'm just looking for other ways to use them, as I have decided to stop getting them killed by turn 1 or 2. I still want to use this unit though, no splitting or changing them.

0h, 4nd 7h15 15 70p1c 1337 1n 7h3 74u f0rum.

Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I personally Infiltrate whenever I can and charge the nastiest assault unit I can see (Usually.) By the time the Assault unit has finished off the Kroot (Which they will, don't worry) the Gun Drones I DS'ed over there arrive and cause TL Pulse Carbine havoc.

There really is nothing quite as hilarious as picking off an opponents army piecemeal while his big assault troop unit that was supposed to run over your line is tied up in CC and/or pinned for the first four turns of the game. After which you have plenty of weapons to finish the unit off.

Obviously, this doesn't work all the time. If I can't Infil, I have my Kroot advance to the middle of the field in cover and meatshield as the enemy comes marching.

Senior Member Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

"Hey Cletus, what's that sound?"

"I don't know jethro, might be in'juns..."

Both are shot by Kroot snipers.

The rest of the hick imperials begin to take cover.

The Kroot continure to pick them off from the woods.

That's how I want my Kroot to work, yeah for Field Craft!

Kroot=Sweet Indians.
    Sig by:Knape, The Celestial, and Marlinspike, thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedbumps. Which, for the most part, the do perfectly. I have had them wiped out by flamers or a failed morale test after the shooting phase, but more often then not, I get them into CC within the first two turns. I've had them hold up a Defiler for two turns, a 20-strong Ork mob with Warboss for two turns, wipe out squads of Orks on the charge....and so on and so on.

I love my Kroot. They're cheap. They can be REALLY nasty shooting within 12 inches and even more nasty on the charge.

Don't ignore Kroot Hounds. If you have an extra FA slot in your chart, toss eight Hounds in there for less then 50 points and watch the body parts fly when they get into CC. That's also eight really cheap wounds.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

That's why I have 4 in the 2000 list. Not enough points, or I'd add more.

As for my 1850 list, I'm not sure how effective 10 kroot will be, but that's all I have points for.
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have differant eschelons I use when composing a army list. Kroot fall around Priority 3, depending who I am facing, which makes them medium priority. I try to allocate a decent number of points to a good-sized mob of Kroot. For a 2000 point list, I'd say around one group of about 16 Kroot and another with 10 Kroot and 6 hounds. Hounds are good, but not good enough to warrant two FA slots.

Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    How do you use your Kroot?
    I'm just looking for other ways to use them, as I have decided to stop getting them killed by turn 1 or 2. I still want to use this unit though, no splitting or changing them.
    In the 1500 and 2000 pts list I use 20 Kroot.

I always try to set them up in cover around the middle and forward of my FW deployment zone.I always try to deploy them in woods as the Kroot rules for shooting through cover and the improved cover save they get makes them extremely dangerous.I can rapid fire through 12" of woods and not get shot back.

I try to avoid instigating assaults with the Kroot as they are so much more effective when they are charged in cover.
    I mainly use them as counter charge units. Usually the Kroot are within 12" of a couple of FW units and the opponent either charges the Kroot or avoids them to go for the softer FW, and then the Kroot counter charge them. With 50 attacks on the charge its devastating and the fact that the assaulting unit will be in B to B with the FW usually means the number of attacks hitting the Kroot is reduced plus the enemy will be outnumbered and taking extra wounds if fearless and they lose CC.

Kroot shooting is also very very underestimated and 20 rapid fire shots can do a lot of damage.

Because the units are cheap people assume that they are a cheap meat shield/ speed bump unit but they do not perform well in this roll, they are much more suited to a support role for other units and with the DF and FW I use in the list they make a great reinforcement unit for weak points in the FW lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

In my 2000 list, I have 14 (with Shaper and Armor) and 4 hounds. I have a large base of Fire Warriors, but at last check I have 19 points left. I may take 2 more Kroot...not sure.

In my 1850 list for a tourney next weekend, I only have 10, again, because of my 58 Fire Warriors. They'll probably sit in a forest or other form of cover and wait to charge someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lose the shaper. Lose the armor save that any gun can punch through. That's 35 points right there. That's 5 more Kroot which is 10 more attacks. Add one more Kroot from the 19 points left, and then buy two Kroot Hounds with the 12 points left after that.

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best advice I can give about kroot is to leave them at home. :p
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast