My Hive Tyrant - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Hive Tyrant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Hive Tyrant

After some test games, I have decided that an entire Tyrant devoted to pure cc is not for me. Perhaps it's the people I play against, or something I'm doing wrong but by time my Tyrant gets to cc he only has a 1 wound left, and dies soon after he engages. So I want to try something new, but really don't want to make it a shooty Tyrant as I have 2 Carnifexes both with VCs and BSs (as much as I would like my fex's NEVER see cc.) The only reason my Tyrant gets to cc is because he has wings.

Now the thing Im having trouble with is deciding on what ranged weapons to give him. I want him to still focus mainly on cc but I HATE the idea of him not being able to fire back while he makes his way up to the enemy, if he is gonna get shot at then I want him to be able to defend himself. I was thinking either a VC or twin linked dev's. As it stands now, his melee weapons are Bonesword and lashwhip. I know alot of people on this board don't like the Bonesword/whip but it has worked for me in the past, plus it only counts as 1 weapon symbiote. But, I can always remove them if I wanna do something different. I like the firepower of the VC, as it can one-shot alot of troops and has good range. But I also like the TW dev's because of the number of shots, reroll misses and wounds, that's just awesome, but no AP.

So the bottom line of my post....

Which do you guys recomend, sword/whip & VC, or twin linked dev's....or maybe any other combos.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can keep him with 2 CC wepons and give her warp blast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but then his save gets worse, seeing as how he has wings and can't take carapace. Obviously I use Warp field right now. I was thinking alittle more about my situation and was leaning towards Scything Talons and TW devs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NEVER GIVE TYRANTS BONSWORDS AND LASH WHIPS. They almost never help and are more expensive than scything talons. I would suggest a VC to help with tanks. Even with all infantry armies you still got 3 S7 shots a pop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but....they look so cool....

Anyways, yeah your right. As I said, they have seemed to help in the past...but perhaps that was just the Tyrant being good. I think im definetly going for sything talons, just don't know what kind of gun yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Devil is right, boneswords are gimp. For a walking Tyrant I always give it a VC and Guard. Walking Tyrants are slow. The VC gives it something to do while slowly walking across the board. 3 str 8 hits is pretty respectable and good for blasting light armour. If you must use lashwhips put them on a guard or 2.

My Tyrant has +WS, +ES, Tox, EC, ST & VC costs 174 points (was 153pts in 3rd ed.)
    or +WS, +ES, EC, ST & VC costs 152 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was gona give mine a vennom cannon, barbed strangler and enhanced sensors and 1 tyrant gaurd. People wont be threatend with him running to combat so he wont take as much firepower but will still be able to dish out his fair share of it. for about 140 pts i think its quite good. (extra 45 for the garud). Anyway ive only just started my tyranid army and am still finishing of my khorne army so i dont know how this combination works

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Loestal
    After some test games, I have decided that an entire Tyrant devoted to pure cc is not for me. Perhaps it's the people I play against, or something I'm doing wrong but by time my Tyrant gets to cc he only has a 1 wound left, and dies soon after he engages.
    Now the thing Im having trouble with is deciding on what ranged weapons to give him.

Which do you guys recomend, sword/whip & VC, or twin linked dev's....or maybe any other combos.
    I think the problem here is more about how your getting your Tyrant into CC, the Tyrant with wings should be in CC second turn. The key to using a CC tyrant is supporting him with other units, you need to give the opponent enough other things to worry about so the fire is lessened on the Tyrant.
    My Tyrant has warp field and with his Tgh he very rarely loses wounds on the way to CC, because I always send him with Winged warriors and Hormies plus Stealers, this allows him a degree of survivability.

The Tyrants strength tends to make VC and Dev pretty unreliable (much better on fexes). If you have trouble in CC with the Tyrant think about what your using him to kill.

If he has Scything talons(x2) he makes a great infantry killer (just watch out for the hidden power fist) but give him support with hormies.
    If he has Scy talons, implant attack and rending claws he is awesome for Character killing and armour destruction.

Always up his strength and give him the improved save. I use a fully tooled up winged Tyrant with Scy / rend / impl / WF / toxic sacs / adren and he always does well in CC whatever he hits.
    So rethink how your deploying him, give him some support and distraction from shooting while he gets in to CC and dependent on how you use him in CC think about his CC weapon fit.
    Lose the bonesword and lash they are ok if you want to utilise catalyst a lot other than that they take up a slot better used on more effective weapons.

If you need more tips on deployment and list structure I will be happy to help, wanted to keep the post size down but I will be happy to go into more detail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a pure shooty tyrant, give him atleast one guard.

VC,SCT T, TS,ES are a must on shooty tyrant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really tempted to try the VC and Twin Devourer tyrant. The venom cannon on tyrant with BS 4 is comparable to a carnifex VC all the way through armor 13. This is great to shake/stun vehicles to keep them from shooting ap 2/3 stuff at your MCs. Plus, no matter how big the barbed stragler template is for the carnifex it only hits half the time. With 6 reroll to hit and strength 5 and reroll to wounds, you average almost 4.5 wounds against toughness 4 a turn! Barbed straggler can do this as well with a large template, however its not hitting every turn. Twin Devourer is honestly the new tyranid machine gun! If you fire for 2-3 turns you'll easily kill more marines than an extra scything talon attack...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast