We'll be back options/oddities - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll be back options/oddities

Welcome fellow Necron players. Just started necrons and have been playing 40k since 4th ed came out (fantasy 5 years). I have been exploring the rules on necrons and some of the things I have read in the book/faq/errata contradict what many players think and what strategies exist in countering necrons. So I want to know what you guys think.

1. One option that has come about is the sentence under WbB "At the start of the every Necron turn, damaged Necrons may self-repair." What I gather from this is that we have the option to not self repair when we can, but delay the roll. No where have I read that this is not possible. Why would we do this? Well, maybe we are waiting for a monolith to be deep striking to get that extra WbB roll...

Another way I have seen Necrons played is that when it comes time to do WbB, any models not with in the 6" for the roll are removed. From what I understand this is wrong since only on a failed WbB or power weaponed/instant kill are damaged Necrons removed.

2. One tactic I seen listed to counter us is to wipe out one squad at a time to prevent WbB. However I have not read anywhere that if a squad is wiped out that the Necrons are removed. This goes to the above. If this is a valid tactic, someone please tell me the source, page, paragraph. Otherwise I foresee one squad being damaged on a flank and having the like models shift over for the next turn for WbB or a tomb spider swooping in to accomplish the same thing.

Whatcha guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ye better read yer codex better then matey, we cahn't tell ya much cept that all tree of yer questions are answered under the headn a'll be bach!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Isgee
    Ye better read yer codex better then matey, we cahn't tell ya much cept that all tree of yer questions are answered under the headn a'll be bach!
    What sort of answer is that? :huh: He has the codex and has found a possible loophole. He's cited the text. He obviously read the same stuff you did and got a different answer. If he's missed something you are definitely allowed to cite the part of the text which disproves his theory. Saying "read the codex" doesn't mean anything

Lord Abyss, there's probably something in an FAQ or the codex that contradicts that. The reason is, otherwise it would have been spotted long before now, I think. However, if you are the first, I'll let you know that no one (friends or tournament people) will let you play like that. It isn't how the rules were meant to be written and it's just another stupid flaw in the rules. It's very similar to the mistake with the monolith

the codex reads something like "if the monolith recieves a weapon destroyed result, the number of shots fired by the gauss flux arc is reduced by -1"
    Naturally subtracting by negative numbers adds to the number of shots that can be fired.

Point is, you can insist that the rules allow it, and they might, but it wasn't intended to be that way, and people will get mad at you if you militantly insist it (not suggesting that you will, but in some threads, people act like this. I'm just warning you against that).

Anyway, the necron codex was badly written (with many flaws) so if you look carefully, you'll probably be able to find half a dozen flaws as bad as that one.

Cheers (is that what british people say? British people are so cool)
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well as a "new blood", I have not had 3rd ed bred into me so I start from a clean slate so to speak. I have had to point out alot of 3rd rules left overs to veteran players. I wonder if this is a oversight from those days. Not to mention in the spirit of the rules gets hazy depending on who you ask. It is possible that WD set the precident on how WbB is suppose to work. In which case I have not read them nor intend to pick those WD up.

I understand the whole community plays it one way and someone sees it another. As a player of fantasy for 5 years, I admit that I am hard to be convinced on certain rules if I am wrong. That is why I ask them to show me the rule so I can understand it. I love it when someone trumps me on a rule and I learned something. I just wish people were open minded enough to see that. I come off as a rules lawyer (which I am anyways) but I am trying to help out in people.

I still want to see something that contradicts what I have read and I await the blurb Otherwise I believe it to be the one way. I have double checked the codex, errata, and faq and I have seen nothing.

This all boils down to damaged Necrons and what happens to them.

Zed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

1. One option that has come about is the sentence under WbB "At the start of the every Necron turn, damaged Necrons may self-repair." What I gather from this is that we have the option to not self repair when we can, but delay the roll. No where have I read that this is not possible. Why would we do this? Well, maybe we are waiting for a monolith to be deep striking to get that extra WbB roll...
    You can choose to roll or not roll for wbb. here is no reason to do this though. A monolith won't let you get extra WBB rolls.

Another way I have seen Necrons played is that when it comes time to do WbB, any models not with in the 6" for the roll are removed.
    I think you're confused here. It simply states that a necron can only make it's WBB roll if it's 6" or less away from another model of the same type. (This excludes the lord.)

From what I understand this is wrong since only on a failed WbB or power weaponed/instant kill are damaged Necrons removed.
    A res orb can change all this.

2. One tactic I seen listed to counter us is to wipe out one squad at a time to prevent WbB. However I have not read anywhere that if a squad is wiped out that the Necrons are removed. This goes to the above. If this is a valid tactic, someone please tell me the source, page, paragraph. Otherwise I foresee one squad being damaged on a flank and having the like models shift over for the next turn for WbB or a tomb spider swooping in to accomplish the same thing.
    This tactic works if say you have a unit of warriors all by itself. If it is completely wiped out it can't make any WBB rolls. but the if it within 6" from another unit then the wounded models that are within 6" from a none wounded model of the same type can make WBB rolls. Note that if the squad is within 6" of another unit then only the wounded models that are within 6" of a unwounded model can make there WBB roll, not the whole of the wounded squad.I suggest re-reading page 13 or asking a GW staff member or vet to give you a play test.
    Last edited by Zed; July 31st, 2005 at 20:59.
    "DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!"

And the almighty Dice God said to his followers "Thou shalt not speak ye words "anything but a one" For thou whoever'st speaketh this blasphemy will be cursed with thy rolls being of one".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Excuse me, I played against necrons recently as SM and beat a squad in combat, beating its initiative too. He said the squad all got put on thier backs and could WBB is this accurate?
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Abyss
    Damaged necrons may self repair meaning that they have the ability to self repair. They may not choose not to and remain on the tabletop. All eligible casualties must make the roll and depending upon the success of said roll they may self repair and be place upright again or if they fail the roll removed from the table.

Another way I have seen Necrons played is that when it comes time to do WbB, any models not with in the 6" for the roll are removed. From what I understand this is wrong since only on a failed WbB or power weaponed/instant kill are damaged Necrons removed
    This is true and it's also not since there are other things that could effect this, such as a tomb spyder, monolith, or even the fact that the whole squad has not been wiped out.

For example a squad of 10 that has been reduced to 6, by instant kill weapons (ie Lac Cannons). Only 1 model from the squad (not a casualty) needs to be within 6" of a res orb for all members of the squad to get wbb rolls.

Mdels have to take wbb rolls before any movement can be done. Therefore only those models that are within 6" of another like model (or 12" of a tomb spyder) may make wbb rolls if the entire squad has been wiped out. They then join the nearest squad if successful unless it was the tomb spyder that allowed the wbb roll in which case they may rejoin any squad. If your squad is wiped out due to being over run from a sweeping advance then they may not make wbb rolls whatever the circumstances.

All my answers btw are just off the top of my head. Been playing Necrons for 2 years now so there's not much I don't know about the rules for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Doom
    Excuse me, I played against necrons recently as SM and beat a squad in combat, beating its initiative too. He said the squad all got put on thier backs and could WBB is this accurate?
    Depends - where they within 6" of another necron model and did you wipe them out through a sweeping advance?
    If they turned and ran and were cut down then they may not make wbb rolls under any circumstances, so your opponent was incorrect. If you wiped them out through normal combat then yes they may make wbb rolls for the models within 6" of another squad of warriors, that weren't insta-killed

As a seperate issue if the squad had a lord in it with a res orb and was wiped out through sweeping advance then I'm not sure what would happen here because he should still get his wbb roll because of carrying the res orb. Not something that I've ever had happen, be interested to see what others think on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeyUK
    As a seperate issue if the squad had a lord in it with a res orb and was wiped out through sweeping advance then I'm not sure what would happen here because he should still get his wbb roll because of carrying the res orb. Not something that I've ever had happen, be interested to see what others think on this?
    To the best of my knowledge this isn't allowed. The lord is forever gone just like the warriors. Can't quote actual rules for this but it is the general undestanding between the necron players I know.

Phase....Out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Well as a "new blood", I have not had 3rd ed bred into me so I start from a clean slate so to speak. I have had to point out alot of 3rd rules left overs to veteran players. I wonder if this is a oversight from those days. Not to mention in the spirit of the rules gets hazy depending on who you ask. It is possible that WD set the precident on how WbB is suppose to work. In which case I have not read them nor intend to pick those WD up.
    I first think that you should reread the codex. It may clarify. If not, then you may have found a legitimate argument. Also, you aren't the only one in this situation (new blood) and the necron codex is the 3rd edition version anyway. Point is, that why would you have been the first to spot it.

I understand the whole community plays it one way and someone sees it another. As a player of fantasy for 5 years, I admit that I am hard to be convinced on certain rules if I am wrong. That is why I ask them to show me the rule so I can understand it. I love it when someone trumps me on a rule and I learned something. I just wish people were open minded enough to see that. I come off as a rules lawyer (which I am anyways) but I am trying to help out in people.
    Point is, if the rules were intended to be used your way, and the whole 40k universe had been playing it another, GW would have clarified it at some point VERY QUICKLY. As no one from GW has come saying "no, you don't have to take your WBB right away", we can safely assume that it was intended to be taken the turn that they fall. I advise you again, DON'T PLAY THIS WAY. The necrons are balanced without it. With it, they will be overpowered. Your friends shouldn't let you play this way, and tourney people certainly won't. Nobody likes people who insist on non-commonly-accepted rules that benifit themselves.

I still want to see something that contradicts what I have read and I await the blurb Otherwise I believe it to be the one way. I have double checked the codex, errata, and faq and I have seen nothing.
    Jeez, I wish I owned the necron codex. I'm also waiting

POSTERS: stop posting clarifications of the rules. He has read the quote "may take wbb" and interpretted him differently. PROVE HIM WRONG. OR NOT, if you can't.

Hopefully that worked

By the way, I just realized something. I can't speak for those necrons who are allowed to take wbb, but chose not to. However, those necron who are more than 6" away from a friendly similar necron are destroyed. Proof?

They cannot take wbb
    anything that cannot take wbb, or some other thing that keeps them alive is removed from the board when their last wound is removed.
    Being a necron player, you're used to the status quo being knocked over. However, if you can't take wbb, you're toast like any other thing that can't take wbb. Otherwise, we'd knock space marines over, and leave them there the whole game, because they can never take wbb. However, you wouldn't get vp for destroying them "because they hadn't failed a wbb yet."

wbb does not apply to marines and it does not apply to necrons who cannont (for any reason) take it. However, those who chose not to... you may have a point.
    Last edited by TheWamp; August 1st, 2005 at 21:19.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast