army concept..what do you think of this strategy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

army concept..what do you think of this strategy?

hi, I'm just forming my vision of how I want my army to work and so I thought I'd present to you all the strategy that I'm thinking of employing with this army as I form it.

using a mechanized theme, all units, save the spare sniper squad, in wave serpents. deploy dire avengers forward within range for there shuriken catapults to fire upon disembarking. they charge or are charged, then I reinforce with howling banshees and striking scorpions. all the serpents and falcons are tooled up with either starcannons or bright lances.

is this too 1 dimensional or would this do well?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played similar armies, the SC isn't really a killer weapon but it works ok, make sure to grab some Falcons as well, if only to absorb some anti-tank fire power. The DA's work as a good shield for your HB's and SS's too so they can assult without getting worked over at range first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I'm thinking of going kinda heavy on the dire avengers, pulling up with a few squads of them and unloading, firing 2 shots from each, then next turn 2 more shots plus they can assault as well is just great, and they're likely to be ignored if I drop some howling banshees or striking scorpions off as well, I'm thinkin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer knoll
    yeah I'm thinking of going kinda heavy on the dire avengers, pulling up with a few squads of them and unloading, firing 2 shots from each, then next turn 2 more shots plus they can assault as well is just great, and they're likely to be ignored if I drop some howling banshees or striking scorpions off as well, I'm thinkin.
    AAAAH. Don't take ANY dire avengers. They aren't worth it. You can use striking scorpions if you want the twelve inch rapid fire (pistols do that, I believe). But the shurikat is so weak that it isn't worth putting any points more than you have to. If you really want it, take guardians, and allow them to get in front by sitting back and shooting for a turn with the tanks. If you use dire avengers, you'll shoot, doing next to nothing. Then the enemy'll charge, killing the whole unit. Then the scorpions and banshees will arrive, to actually do some damage. Or you could unload all 3 squads, in which case the avengers will be ignored, but the scorpions and banshees will be murdered in which case you're screwed. Dire avengers are NOT a worthwhile aspect. However, if you want powerful close range weaponry, warp spiders are EXCELLENT choices.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm much to think about, thanks for the solid advice

how would you advise mounting an offensive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to fight a mechnised themed Eldar army I would recommend playing Beil-tan. That way you could make the best use of the waveserpants with the aspect warriors. Transporting troops is fairly expensive for eldar. The transports are expensive and the troops are poor when compared to other armys. Fleet of Foot is also lost when a transport is used. Numbers are the important thing when it comes to eldar troops IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, I've decided on biel-tan pretty solidly.. when I read the biel-tan entry in the craftworld codex the first time, that's when I was sold on playing eldar. I really love howling banshees, the models are just gorgeous and having them as well as the other aspect warriors as troops choices is just too good.

you're right, our transports are really expensive, but they are, in my opinion, the best in all of 40k. beyond having great rules, they look just awesome. one of the greatest things about our transports is the fact that it has 12/12/10 armor meaning those pesky tau infantry rifles dont have any chance whatsoever of bringing down our skimmers like they can with rhinos and, to a lesser extent chimerae. (I play vs tau alot)

I assume when you say our troops are poor vs other armies troop choices you're referring to a vanilla eldar list with the troops being of the guardian varieties and dire avengers? as biel-tan, the troops are really the strong point of the armylist it seems, which makes the best mechanized eldar army out there, well, maybe along with saim-hann, but I dont know anything 'bout them.
    Last edited by artificer knoll; August 5th, 2005 at 10:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

You've got the idea. With BT, you don't need numbers since your have arguably the best CC troops for their points in the game (actually, they're tied with wyches, possibly). Point is, 5 tanks moving in near a section of the enemies forces is beyond what they can deal with. On the next turn, unload the troops from the surviving tanks, and move the tanks AWAY FAST. Then shoot and charge w- the infantry. Really scorpions and banshees and dragons are going to be the main troops you put in the tanks (the first 2 more than the third) and you should support them with warp spiders, and something long ranged (reapers, vypers, and warwalkers)

Having long range support is imperitive in a biel-tan mechanized force. It provides the enemy with a choice: shoot the tanks loaded with aspect warrriors who will butcher your troops or shoot the warwalkers/dark reapers who are slaughtering their forces from a distance. This dual-threat is amazingly effective.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TheWamp... Your comments on the weakness of the shuriken aren't always true. Yes, lots and lots and LOTS of people play SM or CSM armies, which can take a ton of shurikat shots and take few to no casualties. However, if you regularly play against armies besides SM and CSM and their 4T and 3+ save, like I do, you will notice that shurikats are actually really effective. Orks for example: the rapid fire of a squad of dire avengers can tear through orks, where alot of aspect warriors would have a good deal of trouble. Heck, I've had shurikats take out orky vehicles before. YES dire avengers are a waste of time against the armies that most people play. NO, plz don't ignore these under rated warriors. And if you do decide to take em... FEAR THE POWER ARMOUR! FEAR IT!!!!
    Signatures: Why bother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I come from playing an IG infantry company type army, so shuriken catapults are alot more powerful than the lasguns I'm used to still I'm going for a full on h2h mechanized force..gonna use mainly striking scorpions with a squad of banshees to do my hand to hand work and leave the fire support/AT to the tanks in my list (3 falcons and 3 wave serpents)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast