Librarium Online Forums banner

just some orky questions from a newbie...

1K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  darkhand 
#1 ·
Wotcher y'all. I've been reading the ork posts with interest. Since a renewed interest in Warhammer last year, I've amassed a pretty large (and pretty well painted, if I don't say so myself) ork army. I'm currently working on some warbike conversions and a cybork squad.
I've got a couple of questions that spring to mind, although I'm sure I'll be hassling this server in the future with many more...

1. Can a warboss be stuck in a wartrukk with a random group (ie...not nob squad, but , say, 9 trukk boyz)...I think I already know the negative answer to this one.

2. I play combat patrol alot, and have found a combination of i)lots of slugga boyz, ii)grots, iii) a kan and iv) trukk boyz or kommandos to be a good mix....any better ideas?

3. I keep getting my arse kicked by the new nids, and am rapidly learning to hate fleshborers, raveners and deathspitters (as well as my opponents far superior grasp of the rules). I need some tips here...my orks seem to rely on luck far too much to do well...or could it be that I'm just a bad general?

Its probably fair to point out that I'm always playing nids and marines. Great fun. Gimme some imperial guard at some point so I can really rack up the kills....

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
1) Yes.

2) Never ever take Kommandos, take a lot of boyz instead. And grots.

3) Shoota da choppy ones, choppa da shooty ones. ;)

Really, just make sure you get to charge and don't forget to use your pistols.
Don't let yourelf get into combat with Genestealers under any circumstances, though... they'll shred ya. You can use grots as meat shields vs. Nids, so they have to charge the grots. just make sure to stay more that 6" away from them so they can't consolidate into you.

#3 ·
1. yes, but a bad idea. a Nob with the 9 boyz would be more idea. but if your going to do that, i would suggest, a group of burna boyz.

2. Kammandos arent entirely bad, nor are the partially good. it would depend on the mission. a night mission: good. a standard mission: bad. but i do not use them at all to tell the truth. :p

3. nids...uck. like the former poster said shoot the chop and chop the shoot. but in the end, the nids will get you. lol. my only suggestion to this is: MASS MOBS. get your boyz together, mob up every chance you get so that you do not have to worry about breaking. and make sure you have plenty of burnas up front and rokkit launchas.

#5 ·
Flame templates are your friend. First you don't have to worry about trying to hit with the Orks' crappy BS, and second you can kill a bunch of bugs and then charge what's left.

Shoot the genestealers. Big shootas, burnas and skorchas are great for this. Lobbas can cut nice big swathes through the 'nid hordes as well.

Against the marines, just don't flame with the burna prior to charging as the power weapon is much more valuable.

#7 ·
ugluk-bludeth said:
ah! but they can! custom vehicle that has the same amount of points as a trukk...but that is off-topic. lol. start a new thread and we can discuss it! :)
Actually, even better, if you take a KoS army list then you don't even have to worry about any special list thingy.
As for the warboss going anywhere he wants, that's absolutely true. Although, I will say that if you stick him in a wartrukk, be sure to have plenty of other ladz hanging about to draw fire away from him. One interesting thing that I've seen is a warboss, a painboss, and 8 cyborks. Stick them in a wartrukk and have your other fast attacks be filled up with warbuggies and a trukkboy squad. Perfectly legal, and actually a pretty good replacement for a nob squad (the cyborks don't get to use powerklaws, but they are absolute murder on anything they come in contact with).
I'm not sure what to tell you for combat patrol, as I don't really place it. But kommandos do have their uses. In my 'nilla 2K list, I've got my elites filled up with skarboyz and 'ardboyz, but they do certainly work well in blood axe lists.
As for the 'nids, my biggest suggestion for them if you're playing a horde is lone or paired skorcha buggies with extra armour and spikes. The skorcha does a great job of eating them alive, and when/if they charge your vehicle, they basically staple themselves to the side.
A looted griffon is cheap and would work, as would lobbas.

#8 ·
Uh whoever suggested mass mobs against tyranids is foolish. I see that most of the inexperienced players on this board suggest using 'big mobs' against about everything. Tyranid are much faster then orks on foot and will slaughter them in combat. To properly slay tyranid, you need speed, aka bikes / wartrukks.

#9 · (Edited)
While I don't really agree with his tone, Bruiser117 is right. The large mobs principle works wonders against things with furious charge or Death Company, PROVIDED that you have a grot wall in front of said mob to prevent the models from assaulting your boyz and that you leave enough space between the grot and ork mob to prevent them from charging into your own ladz. This evens the playing field because then the orks can hopefully get the WAAAGH off and strike at an equal initive (the mob would even get to go first, wee!).
Unfortuantly for us, 'nids are much to quick for us to try that little trick.
A 'nilla ork list would do fine if it brough along a unit of flash gitz with more dakka (S4 AP6 Assault 2 at 24" is going to ruin someone's day at least) along with four big shootas. Keep this unit small (because the cost is going to be attrocious) and let them pepper away at things from a distance. A large squad of warbikes might do it, especially since each one basically gets to fire 6 twin-linked big shoota shots each on the charge (shoot 'em, then assault them with shooting). THat's ALOT of dakka. The downside? If any of the enemy survives the assault, your very, very expensive boyz are in trouble.
Skorcha buggies would do wonderfully here. If you keep them cheap and alone (a good skorcha buggy should never cost more then 40 points) you should easily make the teef you spent on them back.
The lobbas are still a personal favorite of mine, despite some people's feverent dislike of them. And, as I said before, a griffon will make short work of those broods. If you manage to kill off 4 genestealers, you've paid for it. And with its range, you should kill off that many. A bassie works as well, of course.
So, yes. As was stated before, 'shoot the choppy ones, chop the shooty ones'. The 'nids are a choppy army, so you want to keep your distance from 'em.
*EDIT*
A looted hellhound might serve you just as well, now that I think about it. The ability to lay the template out as you see fit will see lots of little bug bodies suddenly disappearing into ash.
Also, large units of boyz would do well against a Godzilla nid army. Make sure to give your nob a powerklaw and just watch those TMC just sort of explode upon themselves. Basically, use 'em as a meat shield and pray that you out-number the zoggin' thing.

#11 ·
cheers for that - and an all-rounder?

I think I've just started finding that skorchas are the way to go....its just damned inconvenient cos I have so few of them and the models are all painted up. Its a right pain in the arse discoverin you didn't buy the best gun models to start with! It may sound naive, but i take it 'nilla refers to an all-round army....I'm looking at setting up a decent 1,000 pt force. Aw feck it, here's the troops I've got at the mo...

c.18 slugga boyz (inc nob)
c.13 shoota boyz (inc power klaw nob)
3 big shoota boyz
9 tankbustaz (3 w. rokkits)
10 ardboyz (inc heavy weapons)
9 skarboyz
9 stormboyz (inc power klaw nob)
12 grots + slaver and hound
10 burna boyz inc mek and 3 burnaz

Warboss
big mek
painboss and 6 cyborks
3 nobs in mega armour

2 wartrukks
1 warbuggy w. rokkits
3 warbikes

zzap gun
2 kans (bs and rokkit - no skorcha yet goddamnit)
looted basilisk

jeez, i never realised I had this much...should be able to create a pretty good 1,000 pt force out of this lot. Any thoughts?

#12 ·
A couple, actually...
  • Ditch the powerklaw on the shoota nob and move him in with your sluggaboy squad (if you're shooting, why are you paying that much for the chance to have a peice of wargear you'll never use?)
  • More grots. Trust me on this one. Don't go home without at least twenty of them. The max is even better. Personally, I'd love to be able to take up to three grot squads one FoC slot myself, but that's just evil.
  • If you have the Zzap gun, my suggestion is to stick it on a battlewagon. It's pretty short ranged, but being able to move it around and fire is always a good thing.
  • No skorchas on your kanz. Leave those on your warbuggies.
  • Build your own special weapon boyz. Trust me on this. It's cheaper, and in the long run is perhaps very (x2) cooler.
I've got a few links to some model sites that should help you with getting your ork WAAAGH up and running. Lobbas, for example, are pathetically easy to make. Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll hook you up.

#13 ·
As an ork and nid player here are some things to use against nids

Scorchas: It's very common these days to give stealers 4+ saves so this is inifitely better than a burna, save the burnas for gaunts unless you have no choice (ie: don't go after stealers with burna boyz). warriors fall pretty fast to scorchas too and they can carry some pretty ugly guns. In general I'd say give your fast squads(stormboyz, trukkboyz, warbikes) burnas and a combi-skorcha for the nob. Any of your slow mobs will probobly get assaulted before they can use the burnas and would be better served by big shootas

Flash Gitz with more dakka: It's very un-orky and I hate doing it but being able to more backward and still fire 2 shots at 24" plus the big shootas is very useful on turn 2 or 3 when your about to be charged by the nid hordes

Carnifexes are a pain in the ass: A lot of people are going with shooty fexes with a barbed strangler. both of these have a 36" range so they will never be close enough to you for you to use those nice hiden power claws, they can also be T7 so you boyz won't even be able to hurt it in an assault, a storm boy mob with power claw is very useful here.

Battle wagons are fun: Mine has interchangeable weapons so for fighting nids I use 3 TL-bigshootas 5 bolt on big shootas and a flashgitz mob with 5 big shootas and more dakka in it. That way you can move 6" (foreward or back) and still fire 13 big shootas and 10 more dakka shootas, thats alot o dice

#14 ·
I know it's all been said before but charge all the 'nids! But Don't charge large broods of genestealers, etc... Damn it was so easy when they had 6+ saves. I used to walk my shoota boys up, stop and get 20x2 S4, AP6 shots... and now they have 5+ and most people I know take the extended carpace (4+) that's kinda cut the number of death-by-shoota down by half. I suppose it can be good if your a tyrannid player.

#15 · (Edited)
OK I had my first game against the new nids last week and it was one of the only times I won (if narrowly) I don't want to give you any hard and fast rules but here's basically what I did:

(I play Bloodaxes so my army was a Warboss + painboss and 8 cyborks in a trukk, a Russ with an additional lascannon and two heavy flamers, a hellhound, a squad of tankbustas, a dready with big shoota and KM blasta, and lots and lots of little 10 ork kommando squads. The guy I was fighting had a 300-something point squad of stealers + Broodlord, 2 squads of warriors, squad of gargoyles, Hive Tyrant, Zoanthrope, 3(!) carnifexes and 2 squads of gaunts)

I put all my vehicles in the centre (the mission was take and hold), then deployed my boyz on the flanks save one squad behind each of my two tanks.

I rolled forward. He unsurprisingly charged at me full pelt. I fired constantly, my various heavy weapons aimed at his carnifexes, and managed to reduce them by a couple of wounds by the time we reached each other. I sacrificed my tankbustas and a squad of kommandos to lure his stealers (his best unit) into my back line where he was facing my Russ. They charged the russ but didn't hurt the front armour (he needed a bunch of sixes). I then backed the russ off, fired everything on it at the stealers, then flamed them with the burna from the kommandos that had been behind the russ, then charged with the kommandos and powa klaw nob. No more 300 point stealers mob, 1 angry nids player.

By this time my warboss and his borks (a whole squad of invulnerable saves) had jumped out of their trukk and eaten two carnifexes, the hive tyrant, and the gargoyles. They were finally killed by some warriors but meh, they did an awesome job. The Russ then obliterated the last carnifex, a charging mob of kommandos did for some gaunts, and the Hellhound started to work on the warriors who stranded on either end of his line. His whole middle had been punched out and mine still consisted of two tanks and two mobs of kommandos. these then took care of the last gaunts but were killed by the warriors. Finally his last warriors were burned up by my hellhound. It would have been an awesome victory but on the last dice rolls of the game his zoanthrope (the only surviving model) rolled 3 6s and blew up my russ.

All I can say is don't be intimidated. With the waaagh rule you can be just as fast as everything but stealers, and orks are a match for nids in close combat despite waht people say. But don't underestimate them either, it's a fine line.

I think I won mainly because this guy had rarely lost with his nids before, and thought that it was going to be an easy victory. He also had never played orks. He assumed everything in his army was better than everything in mine, and so was surprised by my fairly effective shooting, good counter-attacks, good armour, and most of all my HQ which ate about 3 times it's worth in points because cyborks are T5 and have a 5+ invulnerable save.
I don't have the greatest win ratio by a long shot, so if I can beat the nids then it can definitley be done :D

EDIT: I actually find kommandos are good (although as a Bloodaxe I have to say that!), if you have alot of them that's a horde of infiltrating orks, which is something no-one likes to see. And as for them having no save, as a guy on the-waaagh.com said to me when I expressed reservations:

"When was the last time your boyz got a save anyway? Virtually everything is AP5 or 6." I realized that guy was right and now I love my sneaky gitz :)

#16 ·
one in the eye for the bugs and conversions

Nice one! Cheers for the tips, citybeatnik, altho ive already worked most of that out...i just have the damn inconvenience of already having painted up the orks in different squad colours, and I'm loath to repaint them. Thats my downfall, i think, i care too much about aesthetics.
On the conversion front, most of my heavy weapons are converted...I hate the idea of having two identical looking models in my army, which is why the plastics are so cool. Here's a few of the conversion ideas I've employed so far:

Ard Boyz...of course, just boyz with loads of armour plates and helmets, painted kommando style.
Big shootaz...yup, the old 2 barrels together conversion.
rokkit boyz...bought rokkits from gw online (kan rokkits), cut them and stuck em on axe handles.
tankbustas....used the stikkbomzz left over from the stormboyz kit, bought a couple of tankbusta mines from online.
bikes;;;I hate the warbike orks, so ive done conversions with proper boyz bodies, and ive slung the big shootas down low at either side, ignored the banner and glyphed over the evil sun at the front. I had spare "top half of ork"s left over from the stormboyz.
cyborks; used chainsaws cut and glued straight into the arm, same with the guns - the shoota with the big barrel straight on the arm works well (like the cyborks in the ork collecters guide). I tore a flex apart for the 3 wires, and had these coming out and going into the bodies at certain places. used the bit nuts from the axe head as frankenstein style bolts on the shoulders.
skarboyz...lots of big (and esteric) hand to hand weapons, sluggas or human heads slung over back. You can make alot of grisly devices by combing blades with a liberal amount of polycement.

Ive been thinking about doing a battlewagon conversion, but it sounds like alot of hard work. I'm also planning to buy a box of gnoblars, some scavvie necromunda weapons sprues and some round bases to flesh out my grots.

You guys have probably already figured most of this out before me...I've just had the problem of having no bits box when i started, and little conversion advice. the official gw info is pretty weak (i suppose they want to sell more heavy weapons orks etc).. has anyone else found great things that can be done with the ork boyz sprue? Legal things, that is...

#17 ·
If you want some excellent looking cyborks combine a boyz sprue with a necron sprue and the possibilities are endless. I'm still painting mine but when I get done I'll put up some pics.

You can also make stikk bommerz by cutting off the axe and attaching one of the round barrels to the axe handle. I made one of these but I dont use stikk bommerz so he got taken apart and turned into a slugga boy.

When I buy kans I try to get one with a skorcha that way I can give the skorcha to a plastic boy and presto! instant burna boy, then you just have to scratch build a big shoota or rokkit launcha for the kan which is no problem.

This is a more esthetic thing but I love the one head that is roaring but has the weird top knot thing so I usually cut it off, then if you trim the top knot right you can turn it into a pretty cool looking mohawk.

anyway those are my orky secrets, not so secret but hey...

#18 ·
with the roaring head i take a knife, file it thin, file some of dat boyz teef, glue in da knife, and vwala, youz got one 'ard ass boy. could be gould for commandos, + skar boyz. And my other trick for meaner orks is cutting sluggas off the arms and replacing them wif a shoota. It give da boy a bigga gun. fer cyborks i use necrons, + a bunch of beakie arms i have from my friend. They look very robotic. skarr boyz have some cybork bitz, but not a lot, maybe their missing a hand, and have all sorts a fun stuff. ( severed heads, dem beakies are da best.)
and my most bommest of all is this. I use beakie bitz, + normal ork armour bitz, all painted bloo wif yello outlines on the shoulder pads.
DA ULTRA BOYZ. Killin beakies ain't nevva bin betta!!!!:yes:

#19 ·
well heres my wee little army 1000 points

15 slugga boys and Nob ( powerclaw, bighorns)
15 Truk boys 2 with flamers with Nob ( poerclaw, bighorns)
3 wartrukks ( just regular weps)
5 warbikes
1 warboss ( bosspole, powerclaw, choppa, Iron gobb, Big shooter w/ scorcha)
1 Buggy
1 Dreadnaught
:shifty:

#20 ·
PainPillz said:
well heres my wee little army 1000 points

15 Truk boys 2 with flamers with Nob ( poerclaw, bighorns)
3 wartrukks ( just regular weps)
5 warbikes
1 warboss ( bosspole, powerclaw, choppa, Iron gobb, Big shooter w/ scorcha)
1 Buggy
1 Dreadnaught
:shifty:
I definately advise mobz of at least 20 boyz for waagh checks, mob size, etc. In addition, orks have acess to the best special weapons in the game- use them!

Wartrukk max carrying capacity is 10, so you cant have 15 trukk boyz, and they can only have a max 1 special weapon. Also, you cant buy a trukk on its own- its a dedicated transport and you have to get it as part of the trukkboyz unit.

Warbikes are REALLY bad in small numbers. I personaly wouldnt use them in low point games.

Your warboss can only have 1 2h weapon and 1 1h weapon max- you have two 2h and one 1h. I advise ditching the shoota- he's much more valuable for his krumpin than his shootin.

Killa Kanz are accepted as more effective than dreadnoughts, coz you can get two or three for the points of one dread.

My advice:
-5 trukkboyz
-2 trukks
-5 warbikes
-1 Dread
+5 boyz to each mob
+Some killa kanz
+A few more buggies
+Grots! Definately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.