Strategic help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strategic help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strategic help

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I just had the worst day of rolling in my life. For one thing, 4 Heavy Destroyer shots at a Looted Leman Russ, nothin. Not even a glance. Worse, 2 were misses (snake eyes). Then at one point I got 6 shots against Mega Armor Nobs. ONE HIT. wound. He saves. Lord fires. 3 ones. WBB roles: Through the whole day, less than 10% of my WBB rolls made it. Phased out by turn 3 both games, PURELY due to bad rolls on my part, and good rolls for the enemy. I am frickin cursed.

Ok, thanks for letting me get that Rant off my chest. Now to the point.

I need some strategic help: My most common enemies are Space Marines (ultramarines/Space wolves), Orcs, Nids, and Imperial Guard. Dark Eldar once in a while, too, but I can cream them somethin' fierce.

Anyway, I can never win. I have a Lord (foot), 48 warriors, 2 Heavy Destroyers, and 2 wraiths. I plan to buy a Battleforce for my next purchase. Any strategic suggestions?

The tables I play on both have a river going through the middle, some hills around the edges, and some forest panel thingies that we place randomly around the table, and are 4x8.

We also have a table that was in White Dwarf a couple years ago, it's cityfight, it's all destroyed buildings and craters, and one river (complete with blinky the three-eyes fish!). Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Against 'Nids, I would sit back as far as possible and blast away. I know that seems pretty simplistic, but, that is how to do it. If a 'Nid unit gets into CC with a 'Cron unit, wins and runs your unit into the ground, you don't get a WBB role. I am a 'Nid player and the way I beat 'Crons is to give my opponent to many targets. This way, ussually half of the units, at full strength, or a bunch of units at reduced strength will make it. So, make sure each target is no longer a threat before you move to the next one, (nothing worse than having a whole wack of half strength units hitting your line with a synapse creature backing them up).
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

I think the problem lies in your Army Configuration. 48 Warriors are great, but that's your whole fire base. If you move, your fire base is screwed. Immortals and regular Destroyers would be a good investment. Also, a third Wraith is pretty much a must if you want to use them. Until then...

Against Orks and Imp Guard, march your Warriors forward in leap-frog, half of them march, half hold still. This will give you 24" firing lanes and 18" firing lanes. Use them to pick off key units (vehicles, heavy weapons, killa kans, etc.) The Orks are going to try to close the gap quickly, the Guard are going to strategically fall back to force you into a cross fire (as many units in range as possible). When you can, Turboboost your wraiths near some of those entrenched tanks. With their S, they stand a good chance of popping side and rear armor, or force your opponent to move tanks he doesn't want shredded. Try and use cover to block LoS from the remainder of the army (though if your opponent is forced to turn attention to the Wraiths, it protects your Warriors.) The Heavy Ds should target tanks that aren't being stalked by the Wraiths.

Againts Nids, Hersh is right. Sit and shoot, falling back where applicable. The Heavy Ds should target the MCs, since they'll probably have ExCar. If they charge Gaunts forward to far, or let them stray from Synapse, throw some Wraiths at them to slow them up and possible do some damage to them (though the Wraiths will probably be bowled over).

Against Marines....I don't know if your list has the versatility to take on a well rounded Marine army. Try to stop Rhinos to force them to walk with their assaulters. Save the Heavy Ds for Predators/Whirlwinds/Razorbacks. With 2 HD and 2 Wraiths, you'll probably lose them on the first Marine firing round, so keep them in cover/at their max range to keep them alive as long as possible.

I hope these suggestions help.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use orks and the one big mistake i see with necrons i play against is that he moves all his warriors as close as he can before being obliterated by my slugga boys.

You have to stay back and definitely whittle the numbers down so they wont be as big as a threat, force the orks to fire at you.

if you dont use the wraiths to take down tanks then either go for the warboss and his retinue, cuz they will destroy your entire army if you let them get close enough. Or you can just leave your wraiths in front of the rest of your army and hope for the best.

Once the assault phase comes in though get the rest of your units as far away as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Heres my recommended Necron Phalanx formation. After observing a few Necron players I've noticed this is the best way to make a Necron army survivable.

So you can orientate, army marches this way -->

x = Necron Warrior
    o = Lord with Res Orb

x x
    x x
    x x
    x x
    x x
    o x
    x x
    x x
    x x
    x x
    x x

Basically you keep the Lord with res orb in the middle (but not attached to the unit) where he is untargetable. You take as many warriors as possible (to avoid phasing out primarily) and you remove casualties from as far away from the Lord as possible, and so you keep the the unit within 6" (and don't lose that important ability to take your WB. It's a very simple concept, but very effective, it makes it nearly impossible to phase out a Necron army. It basically means that every model will always get it's WBB.

Senior Member SendMoreParamedics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, i'd ditch the heavy destroyers and invest in some regular destroyers. Heavy destroyers only have 1 real use, and thats popping tyranid MCs (well, at least they used to, i haven't seen the new tyranid codex) and even for that destroyers can get the job done most of the time. For everything else destroyers tend to do the job as well as, if not better than, heavy destroyers.

I'd also suggest using scarabs instead of wraiths, but thats just me, and my advice on this probably isn't worth much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I've been playing Necrons for a while now and I can tell you a few things for sure:

1. GET DESTROYERS! Normal Destroyers throw tons of STR 6 shots downfield each turn. That's a good amount of long-ranged firepower for taking out elites and any other problemmatic units. I like using them to take out charging Rhinos 36" away so the assault troops have to walk all the way to their death. I also use my destroyers to blast away at any unit getting within HTH range of my front-lines.
    2. GET IMMORTALS! They provide some needed fire support for your walking Necron warriors.
    3. GET SCARABS! At first you think these guys stink because their stats are so low. But you want to use these guys as completely expendable units. I always bring two units of scarabs and use them to tie up elite units and tanks. You will be shocked when your single unit of scarabs keeps an elite unit in CC for three turns thus effecively eliminating them fro mthe game. My other scarab unit has D-Fields and boosts to behind the lines and pound tanks. With turbo boost there is not a unit in the game that can run away from these guys. Just make sure to keep them away from STR 6 weapons.
    4. I have NEVER had wraiths get their points back. Sure they look cool and have some coo abilities their small unit size, only one wound, and low T make them die quickly.

The Necrons greatest ability is their resilience. There are better armies out there for shooting and much better armies at CC. The ability to have almost all of your models get back up and fight is the greatest benefit you have. Under all circumstances you must maximize this affect.

Against Marines:
    They're tough as your only AP3 weapons are Heavy Destroyers and the Lord himself. Against SM I typically hold position and blast away. Don't let their assault troops make it to your front lines or you'll have a problem.

Against IG:
    Scarabs do wonderfully against IG as their WS and STR are comparable to IG. I use my scarab units to destroy units with AP3+ weapons first. Scarabs tank hunters can also be used for taking out pesky Basilisks and the like.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey i'm fighting a very important battle against necros and i need any tips u can give!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, what can you tell me/us about his force?

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Or about your own army.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

+ Reply to Thread