New to Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Tyranids

Hey guys i have always liked tyranids but i went chaos instead, Now me and my friend are selling our chaos /necron armies for Imperial guard/Tyranid armies. I would like to know what i should buy first (besides the codex) and what would be good strats against IG?

"They Will Know Pain"
    "Death to the false emperor"
    "I feel the warp overtaking me... It is a good pain"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hollow.
    Hey guys i have always liked tyranids but i went chaos instead, Now me and my friend are selling our chaos /necron armies for Imperial guard/Tyranid armies. I would like to know what i should buy first (besides the codex) and what would be good strats against IG?
    The army deal or army box is usually a good place to start. I find that using the codex for a week or two developing armies is time well spent. I have posted a few of my army thoughts for critiquing on this site and have gotten really good reviews. This allows me to buy the models I need and save me lots of $$$.

Tyranids field a lot of models (especially gaunts) as does IG so I would look into getting a whole army on eBay or possibly trading your old armies on this site. You'll need a lot of gaunts, but the rest is very customized and you'll need at least a basic idea for your army.

As for strategy, you'll need lots of models. Although I cannot speak from experience as I have just started nids (after Space Wolves, DH, and then Necron) I do know that many small units of nids typically perform better than fewer larger groups. Against IG, who are typically weak in CC, I would field a CC army and rely on fast units to get into CC asap. With the number of heavy weapons IG can field your nid MCs won't last too long. Because of this I would tend to stick to cheap infantry where his one-shot STR9 lascannon would be wasted killing an 11 point model.

Hope it helped.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Bump- Cmon guys i need some advice on this!!
    "They Will Know Pain"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

battleforce

BY THE BATTLEFORCE

if u want 3 raveners and 3 lictors which retail for 105 bux, use my 65 dollar conversion.
    buy the CLASSIC raveners
    Haruko put that thing down

"its the pirate king"
    "its,its,its atomsk"

FLCL

DARK ELDAR 1500

We are not your worst nightmare--- We are your EVERY nightmare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy gaunts, lots of gaunts. I made the mistake of ...well mistaking the gaunts low saves/stats for weakness. I would have at least 3 possible squads of genestealers as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you are looking for alots of stuff to make a large army, here goes:

You'll need/want a hive tyrant. HQ unit and is generally a badass. More of them couldn't ever do you wrong.

If you think you like the genestealers, probably wanna grab plenty of them and probably a broodlord.

Plenty of gaunts, as stated above. Can be used well in a swarm army, or you'll probably be fielding like 20 of em minimum, even you you don't like em / run a zilla type army.

I would say you couldn't live without a fex... 2 is always good... hell, why not 6 ? whatever. Again, at least one.

Warriors... gotta have a few... even if you don't like em, you should own some.

You can live without gargoyles, though if you use em you'll probably come to love them.

Biovores and Zoanthropes would be a no go IMHO for a starting army.

Lictors: you'll probably want some, but not for a while... not sure, you may rely on them, but I'd say you don't need them in the beginning.

Umm... what's left ? Tyrant guard ? if you decide to field a really shooty tyrant I'd suggest em.

These are all just suggestions, but I would really suggest you plan out an army first, because you could easily decide that you must have zoanthropes or something, all depending on the strategy you want to play. I suggested mostly things that almost everyone will use.

Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea i was thinking about just getting the Battleforce like atomsk77 said before and also get a hive tyrant. Also a codex. But i wanna get rid of my Chaos army before for some extra cash.
    "They Will Know Pain"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recomend the army set. Its the thing with a tyrant 2 boxes of gaunts 2 boxes of warriors 3 ravenors a Special lictor the codex and a zoanthrope. Itas only like 235 dollars and you could get one from the U.K. Site. It also helps to get something from advance order to cut shipping costs.

Sorry for the bad punctuation.
    Last edited by Catachan Devil; August 10th, 2005 at 22:42.

+ Reply to Thread