Whirlwind problem - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Somewhere in the universe, bent hell on beating the crap of everyone in my way.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whirlwind problem

One of my friends loves using Whirlwinds on me. Just a small amount of terrain enables him to throw two whirlwinds which hurt like hell. Their terrain reduces the effectiveness of my broadsides. And they basically go on the defense. Oh by the way if you couldnt tell he plays marines. He then forces me to charge while playing havoc on my troops. One whilrwind took out half a FW squad, or a full kroot squad (10) or heavily damages my crisis squads. Stealth which are inherently weak die under it. And the if he plays defense, Any charge on my part is suicidal. Even my vehicles are in a lot of danger. Sigh please post help.

Geckos rule!!!
    What lies at the bottomless gulf between the soul and the heart?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianNoob
    One of my friends loves using Whirlwinds on me. Just a small amount of terrain enables him to throw two whirlwinds which hurt like hell. Their terrain reduces the effectiveness of my broadsides. And they basically go on the defense. Oh by the way if you couldnt tell he plays marines. He then forces me to charge while playing havoc on my troops. One whilrwind took out half a FW squad, or a full kroot squad (10) or heavily damages my crisis squads. Stealth which are inherently weak die under it. And the if he plays defense, Any charge on my part is suicidal. Even my vehicles are in a lot of danger. Sigh please post help.
    One word: Deepstrike.

Crisis w/ Shield Generator, T-L Fusion deepstriking behind Whirlwind = boom. Unfortunately, he won't come in immediately..

Another option is to go Mechanised, even.

Not too much more I can suggest for you.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Or infiltrate your Stealths, this gets you 18" away, perfect for using them tasty Burst Cannons, the best place to aim at is the rear, but the front and sides work too.

Or just ignore it, look at the terrain set up and make a best guess where hes going to deploy them, then deploy your 'sides in a good possition and if he deploys first even better, that way you know where it is, also give him lots of dangerous targets, make him choose between the 'sides or the Crisis suits that are getting too close or what ever, plus don't forget they can miss.

WH40K is, IMO, a real hit and miss thing, due to the chance portion of the game, just keep trying and remember, its a game, try and make it fun even if you do keep losing, my first 2 real games were losses, but I had loads of fun playing and talking to the people watching and stuff, so even losing can be fun!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeker missiles and a markerlights. Pathfinders with their free move should be able to draw a bead on it, while their devilfish provides the seekers. Or a stealth team leader with a markerlight infiltrating so he can get a markerlight on it.

Normally I advise against seekers, and especially against markerlights on stealth teams, but in this case it seems to be the best option. Either that or just a hammerhead flanking the terrain piece.
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong.

Somewhere in the universe, bent hell on beating the crap of everyone in my way.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THose are great suggestions but the problem is i can barely afford to lose the suits. I need at least 2 or 3 suits to Deepstrike, and then when they die, im left with 1 squad left of crisis, 3 squads of FW, and a couple of vehicles (which he has probably killed off because the whirlwinds get busy real quick). But hes still got a squad of termies, 1 or 2 squads of Basics and maybe some bikes. It was a while ago so i dont remember the details. Is there anyway of saving those suits. Cause i still would have trouble beating him. Thanks for the ideas though i guess i kind of just wanted to rant because im so used to him kicking my butt. Cause he mixes that with a deep strike terminator combo, with a librarian. ARGH!.
    Geckos rule!!!
    What lies at the bottomless gulf between the soul and the heart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whirlwinds can be a problem for Tau armies, particularly cadres that include infantry and Broadsides.

I regularly play a Space Marine player who likes fielding two of them, and there are generally two ways I deal with his 'Winds.

The first, is avoid them. The table I play on forces him to either deploy them on opposite sides of his lines to cover the whole table or leave part of the table beyond his reach. If he splits them, he can't concentrate a much fire on either flank and also has to divert assets (usually a squad of jump packers let by his Mastercraft Lightning Claws+Jump Pack "Chaplain Cheese") to protect the Whirlwind that's on the wrong end of the board in case I decide to dump a Crisis suit or two at it.

In that case, I'll set up to keep my more static assets out of range of one of the Whirlwinds and jump on the other as quickly as I can, be it with a Railhead, a Deepstriker Helios or a smartaleck Stealth Team with too much free time on its hands.

If he deploys both of the 'Winds together, he's just giving me more incentive to pounce on that position as fast as I can. Between their awesome main gun and their impressive mobility, Railheads with SMS are your best friends against dug-in Whirlwinds. Even if you can't get a bead with the rails, the SMS can still pose a threat to the lightly-armored Whirlwinds.

If whatever heavy-hitters you're sending in are getting trounced by the defenses around the Whirlwinds, then you need to coordinate your attack to make sure that his Ubar Squad of Flying Choppy Death is tied up or dead by the time your Railheads or Deepstrikers get there. Kroot, I have found, are excellent for this. They can either draw the defenders off into the woods somewhere or they can just get stuck in. It's very un-Tau to throw your auxiliaries into a fight knowing they're going to get mauled, but it's still a valid tactic if it buys the time your Railheads needs to swiss cheese a couple of glorified roman candles and escape.

But suppose you haven't got a Railhead or two with which to dish out teh pain.

Broadsides are actually at a disadvantage against Whirlwinds because of their relative immobility. As soon as the Marine player knows where the blind spots in your 88s fire arcs are, he'll park his (non-LoS-dependent) Whirlwinds in said blind spots and hammer your big guns into dust.

I say let him.

Next game, only take one or two Broadsides (two teams of one), Shield them, and park them JUST far enough away, if you can, to make him move out of his ideal positions to hammer them. Between scattering, the high toughness of the 88s and the Shield saves, he'll probably waste three or four turns of shooting at them in hopes of taking them out before they have their merry way with whatever other armor wanders into their fire arcs. That's three or four turns of shooting at something that isn't directly threatening the 'Winds AS WELL AS three or four turns of NOT shooting at the REAL threats, which is your Fire Warrior teams, your Stealth Suits and your Crisis teams.

(...and this is why I should not write posts while jetlagged...)
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Thankyou Straylight, it is always nice when someone with lots of experience helps out like that.

Personally, I think a fireknife is very deadly to a whirly. You could go the twinlinked fusion generator for 3p more, but it sounds a bit overkill. A fireknife should do the job, and continues to be useful afterwards. You should also not tailor your lists, and taking the 68p crisis is generally tailoring towards anti heavy tank. Which, btw, a whirlwind is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari
    Thankyou Straylight, it is always nice when someone with lots of experience helps out like that.

Personally, I think a fireknife is very deadly to a whirly. You could go the twinlinked fusion generator for 3p more, but it sounds a bit overkill. A fireknife should do the job, and continues to be useful afterwards. You should also not tailor your lists, and taking the 68p crisis is generally tailoring towards anti heavy tank. Which, btw, a whirlwind is not.
    I try to be helpful when I can, particularly where struggling young Shas are concerned.

I've noticed that there are good Tau players, bad Tau players, and not a lot of gray area, so everyone that I can help into the "good players" camp is, as I see it, another victory for the Greater Good.

Back on-topic, the Fireknife is my personal loadout of choise. I favor it for its versatility and ranged striking power. What they lack in tailored function, they more than make up for in the ability to tangle with almost any other unit in the game. Particularly in tournament lists where I don't know what I'll be facing, the Fireknife is my weapon of choice.

That said, a lone Helios (TL Fusion/Shield) deepstruck in behind enemy lines on turn two or three can do a LOT of damage and sow enough confusion to buy itself time to escape -with a little luck.

I've played around with the idea a bit myself, particularly for popping that pesky artillery, but I don't think its a tactic I'll ever use with great regularity or include in tourney lists. That isn't so much because of the "tailoring" involved or the points risked on the suit, but rather is just a play style preference on my part. YMMV, as always.
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Eh .. could I make a suggestion to all of you?

Don't use "Helios" and "Fireknife" so much. Not everyone knows what these are, and you should let them know exactly what you want them to use, not some internet player-developed name for a specific config. It would probably help a lot, especially with a lot of the newer players out there.

Otherwise, good tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Another thing to remember is range.

Whirlwind's have a 48" range, do deploying behind cover at the back of his deployment means he's probably going to have about a 36" effective range (if 12" deployment). If you deploy intelligently on the side of the the Whirlies are on (for intelligent read far back), he's going to have to move to get to you with them. If he does so, and comes out from his cover, you just utilise the 72" range on your railguns to nail it from outside his range.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast