Low Model Count - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low Model Count

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low Model Count

My friend wants to know if it is possible to put together a Tyranid army with a low model count, primarily, a small amount of troops. He collects more to paint than to play and was attracted to the nids cause they look so goddam cool. However, he doesn't like painting the small models repeatedly. Its only the troops he is worried about though, and he doesn't want an army of just monsterous creatures either. Is this actually possible with the Tyranids?

The Imperial Guard is like a punchbag - No matter how hard you hit it, it'll always be ready for a fight.

Vcitory for the Imperial Guard comes about through the sacrifice of our men, not through the cowardly survival tricks of other armies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible to do yes, but very ineffective. Quantity over quality with the nids. However you can put together a decent force with around 32 of the smaller models. 16 hormagaunts and 16 termagaunts. The rest you can make up of raveners, lictors, genesteelers, tyrants, warriors, and fexes. My fav models to pain personally are the warriors.

A moderate number of troops will get you By as long as you have the support elsewhere to lock up firing enemy units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

LOL, if your friend doesn't want a high number of troop models tell him to look elsewhere. Nids, IG, and Orks have huge model counts. But I can totally agree with him. After finally finishing my 2500 point Necron army I started an IG/DH army. I'm currently selling it off to create my nid army. I know nids have a lot of troops also but at least they look different and can be painted differently. IG are all the same.

I was thinking since nids are bioengineered, a gaunt with a fleshborer could look completely different from a gaunt with spinefists as they must have different DNA. So I have decided that only my units that were exactly the same would be modelled the same. If a unit has a different biomorph then I will color and model them differently to identify their differing DNA. This is a big change from my Necron army where I labored to make all of the units look identical.
    I do not criticize. I do not offend. All I offer is my opinion which means only as much as you make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by masakari_commander
    Is this actually possible with the Tyranids?
    1500 point list, less than 30 models. Can count the number of losses i've had over the past 4 years on one hand. Enough said.

If that seems to be a little bombastic, I'm sorry but it's the easiest way to illurstrate my point.

Most people prefer to rely on sheer model count to overwhelm the opponent to win. I prefer to use my few but powerful units to exploit the enemy's weaknesses.

Is it possible to make a 'Nid army with few models? Yes.
    Is it easy to play a 'Nid army with few models? No. It takes practice and experience.
    Dreams give us a vision of a world unlike any we have seen. They present us with a glimpse of a better life; a goal to aspire to, and in the face of insurmountable odds, they provide us with the power to overcome, to live on, and to succeed where we would have otherwise failed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by masakari_commander
    My friend wants to know if it is possible to put together a Tyranid army with a low model count, primarily, a small amount of troops. He collects more to paint than to play and was attracted to the nids cause they look so goddam cool. However, he doesn't like painting the small models repeatedly. Its only the troops he is worried about though, and he doesn't want an army of just monsterous creatures either. Is this actually possible with the Tyranids?
    I have a 2000pt list with 78 models and that is small, its also very effective, nid lists do not have to be massive on numbers to be effective.
    My list is on the nid army list section, its very easy to build a low model count list, go for the winged tyrant its very effective in the game and is a lovely model to build and paint.
    Go for some Warriors they offer a lot of variation in modeling and painting.
    A carnifex again offers a lot of modeling and painting potential.
    Hormies, well a couple of units is not to bad to paint and you can create very dynamic poses with them
    Finally some Stealers maybe 2 squads, so thats a decent litle list for smaller games and will offer some nice modelling and painting options.
    You could get all that in a 1000pts easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL go big with godzilla army lists... Tyrant HQ, Elite fexes, ripper or stealer Troops, Heavy fexes... very very ineffective in gameplay yes... but fun to paint and convert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, zilla lists are not ineffective, they just must be made and played well.

Next... he said he doesn't want to use a huge model count (so few troops) and doesn't want to play mostly MC ? That's basically the two options.

I'd say check out the lists of the two people who have posted or try out a Godzilla list.

Few models does NOT have to be ineffective for tyranids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He said his freind doesnt want a godzilla army or intends to actually play. I would say just get stealers and a squad of gaunts along with all the other models like biovores and zoanthropes. Add some extra fexes and a bunch of ravenors or warriors cause they look so goddamn kool.

+ Reply to Thread