Combat Patrol Necrons - new wargear? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Combat Patrol Necrons - new wargear?

I have been fiddling around with building a list for a Necron force for CP.#

From a "fluff" point of view I feel they miss out by not having some form of intermediate command that can represent the authority of the C'Tan when small forces operate in a detached fashion.

Hence I wondered what people thought of the following:

Pariahs are mentioned as the next phase of the C'Tan ideal, and Immortals as those who were most favoured and first to give up their bodies.

Therefore I suggest for CP:

Wargear:

Orb of Command - 20 points, (1 only).

Can be taken by a Pariah, Immortal, Immortal Destroyer (NOT heavy destroyer)

Adds +1 Wound, +1 Attack. (To maximum of 2A, 2W)

Allows Character to act independently and be taken as an HQ choice.

Cannot be taken if Necron Lord present (so not available for bigger games!)

Also Scarabs at present cannot be taken for CP - 3W.

However the Codex mentions them as the advance guard of the army, just what CP should be about?

I suggest

Scarabs scouts - represented by 3 models per base with just 2W and 2A @ 8points, may NOT take disruption fields

These would represent the scarabs in a more dispersed formation scuttling ahead and seeking out the harvest.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea. A lot! Of course you can work it however you and your opponent agree, but those changes seem to make sense and fit. I've always imagined the Necrons as having their own "hive mind" of sorts, so the HQ thing might not fit completely, but the scarab idea is perfect!

Either way both would be fun to try out!
    sakenpo@ptd.net
    Lower/Lesser rating always ships first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

I am for anything that stops necron players from just taking 22 warriors in CP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxANT
    I am for anything that stops necron players from just taking 22 warriors in CP
    :lol:

I'm returning to 40K after a long sojurn in the Land of Middle-Earth - I like the idea of CP because I can try out different armies, and there's a chance I may actually get one painted.

But for me CP has to try and include some variety - the whole thing in microcosm as it were.

So 22 Warriors would be yeargh even if legal and effective.

The Orb of Command idea was allow for a subsidiary "Command Node of the Hive Mind". So clearly it's out if a Lord is present - you only get 1 command node ;-)

Ditto the scout scarabs - you can't take them together with regular scarabs, they can't have disruption fields (they're too dispersed to be effective), and Tomb Spyders can't make them mid-battle. They're a very specific CP option to allow a bit of character and variety without powergaming.

The draft Necron Force I'm planning is this:

Command:
    1 x Immortal-Destroyer with Gauss Cannon & Orb of Command
    70pts

Warriors:
    12 x Necron Warriors with Gaus Flayers
    216pts

Fast Attack:
    4 x Scarab Scout Bases
    32pts

Fast Attack:
    2 x Wraiths
    82pts

Total 400pts.

It's also nice and easy to buy as it makes use of everything in the Warrior Boxed set, and allows some modelling variety.

Of course how it will actually "play" is anybody's guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

I like the list, nice variety in a patrol list.

It's nice to see some necron players taking a variety of units. i'm getting sick of the lord/imm/warrior/destoryer/mono it's all i see

granted i think the whole necron codex needs some variety.. but that's for another thread...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-the suggestions are a very good idea, i would love to be able to field scarabs in combat patrol, and having a cheaper hq choice would be good even for higher points. i am also amased that someone actually proposed to fix a problem with the necrons, and didin't make them too powerful along the way.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Many thanks for the positive feedback

It's a valid point about powergaming, something "new" appears which enhances one army, then all of a sudden other races "discover" new items to combat it and you get a vicious spiral.

So of course if you suggest an alternative people are rightly suspicious of your motives

The problem is magnified with Combat Patrol imo because if you assume the average army list is aimed at about 1,500pts or so you're trying to fit a quarter of that into a force while retaining the character of the whole.

I wonder if there would be any mileage in suggesting a "Codex: Combat Patrol" ?

It could have all the point adjustments/variations for each army required for adapting forces to CP (to be read in conjunction with the Codex for that race).

Some specifically CP scenarios, sample army lists & fluff about various small forces that changed the tide of a whole campaign.

In fact we could also do with a "Codex: Kill Team" along the same lines maybe?

Anyone interested?

+ Reply to Thread