New to Orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Orks

Hey LO ork community.....

I am looking to start a small waaagh of my own I am not asking for a army list to be made for me or info about the codex, but I am just wondering from all you experienced players what is the best way to play orks. I know people will say that there is no "best" way and all, But im jut looking for the "do's and dont's" of making a ork waaagh

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really depends on your playing style and what clan rules you use or if you are a freebooter. But here are some general things I can think off of the top of my head nothing major but something that alot of newer players don't see at first.

Ork mobs need to be large. The larger the better. Because of the mob check rule you are in essence "fearless like" as long as you are 12 models or higher. I know, I know "Orks don't have fearless rule". But look at it this way. If you fail a Ld check you do a mob check to see if you don't care or not to run. If you need to Equal or be less on 2 dice your worse roll possible is a 12 so as long as you are 12 models or higher, you never break, never run, always pass pinning. Its about as fearless as you can get, without the actual rule.

Either go foot sloggin or mech it up as much as possible. Never really seen a half foot/half vehicle army do well.

Ork BS sucks. Stick to templates when you can, that or large amounts of dice if you are going to rely on your BS.

Cookie cutter Nob is Power Klaw and Choopa. Maybe a boss pole and/or iron gob if you have the points. Give you some versatily between Power Fist attack or Choopa with only a 4+ vs at a inn 6 when you waagh.

The choice between Skar's or Eavy Armor boyz is an age old arguement, you will get all kinds of opinons. That choice you are going to have to make on your own.

Rokkits for Power Armor
    Big Shootas for lots of shots
    Burnas for Hordes

uhhh yeah thats all I got at this moment. Caffeine has not sunk in yet this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Cronk-Smash mentioned, Orks are very poor at shooting. There are however a number of options you can take if you want to shoot well...

1) Warbikers- Big Shootas are twin linked on the bikes, essentially making them slightly better than BS3 (which isn't too bad). 3 shots each of S5 will soon take it's toll on anything even if they lack AP!

2) Support weapons - Forget Kannons, Lobbas are essentially motars (no to-hit roll) and Zapp guns hit automatically! That means that those little grots might as well have a BS of 10!

3) Flames - Burna boyz or Skorcha Warbuggies use templates and work wonders against infantry heavy armies!

4) Loot - Never forget the option to loot. The Basilisk is your best option here but if you wish to be (slightly) more original, why not try a Leman Russ? Ordanance ignore balistic skill!

Don't use Shoota Boyz against armies that are good at shooting, they will always be beaten! Stick with Slugga Boyz and use your superior numbers to win combat. Ard boyz extra armour helps if they are shoota armed (if you really want to rapid fire) and Skarboyz work wonders against meatier opponents!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ork shooting bad?

(Against marines)
    Ork to hit: 5+
    Ork To wound: 4+

Guard to hit: 4+
    Guard to wound: 5+

Doesn't look all that bad, doesn't it? AND THEN all of our 'Heavy weapons" Are classified as "Assault" That means we can shoot as we foot slog it up to the oomies and rip em apart in CC! Plus, we can also take a looted vehicle (Ordinance weapons anyone?) were, we dont have to roll to hit!

If your going footslogger you got to load up on da boyz and make sure to take some grots to walk on/throw in a mine/give save/make a closer unit to shoot at test ect ect!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway the best advice I can give is go head first into something. You cant go half and half or it wont work. all footsloggerz all on vehicles(KoS) all infiltrating (blood axe) All shooting (bad moon) all choppy (Goffs) or all weedy(deathskull)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine vs guardsman
    Shooting- 3+, 3+
    Combat- 3+, 3+

Space Marine vs shoota boy
    Shooting- 3+, 4+
    Combat- 4+, 4+

It seems a waste to keep Orks from having some bone crunching fun! Also bear in mind Guardsmen are cheaper and hardly 'good' at shooting.

Follow your inner ork give all your basic boyz nice big meat cleavers! Use grot supports for guns!
    Witch Hunters W2 D0 L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree full-heartedly with Crazy-Nighthawk. The orks may be just as good as guardsman as shooting, the guardsman are not quite good at anything, and are also quite cheaper in terms of points.

+ Reply to Thread