Welcome to Librarium Online!
So I got the new 'nid battleforce last week, mostly because I wanted to try some new models and build some brutes for kill team missions.
But I gotta say, with the exception of the carnifex, this might be the most aggravating set of sprues GW has ever produced.
What the heck gives with the two-part gaunt heads? Is there some reason they weren't cast in one piece? Or why the join runs right across the face? I know they're the cheapest of the cheap grunts, but why make it more difficult than necessary to make the minis look passable on the table? Since I'm only doing a handful, I'm taking the time to green stuff the gap in the faces, but how do you folks with 100-gaunt swarms deal with this?
And the mold seams! Holy smackrel! It takes like twenty minutes to scrape the flash off one 5-point gaunt! And just when you think you're done, it turns out there's a whole other set of legs to clean.
How do you 'nid vets deal with this? Any modeling tips or shortcuts you've picked up? I'm interested in expanding this army (as a horde, not as godzillas), but I'm a little turned off by the gaunt construction process and by the relatively high dollar-to-point ratio of the gaunt box.
well sounds like tnothing ahve chanced since 3rd ed. then, the gaunts head was also in two back then, and the leaping gaunts keeps fall becouce of all the weight was tranfered into the front of the mini.... I've collection some gaunts and no I have no tips at all but would surely like some from more experienced nids players
For the gaunt heads, between just glueing them together and normal paint, I hardly notice there is a seam in the head at all. Flash is a pain, but it's the same with any model that GW sells. Sometimes you get lucky and there isn't much at all, other times it's so bad you need to cut of the excess before you start scraping it down.
Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!
-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.
Okay, I'm getting a little more zen about building these bugs. It's going to take the time it takes. I guess I've just been spoiled by one-piece metal guardsmen, with one neat line of flash all the way around, instead of four arms, a head, a couple of legs, and a lot of little spines, ribs, venom sacs, and disgusting little whatnots to carefully clean.
Personally, I like all that building, and that is one of the many reasons why I'm happy about switching from all those metal grey knight models to tyranids (now I just need to find time to build and paint all those damnable gaunts :p )
In my opinion, the models are also mostly well done, and only the larger models need some "manual" correction. I find that the two biggest flaws in the tyranid line are both in the hormagaunt models 1) They need some kind of weight in the base (I use bluetac) 2) That small piece of plastic that keeps them attached to the base breaks REALLY easily.
"I'm always right. Except for the times I'm not."
I'm exactly the opposite. I think the GKTs are perhaps the best minis in the GW range. Good clean castings, not much flash. Solid, unbreakable hunks of metal, like the troops they represent. Easy to convert and customize. You can bend the joints, you can drill deep pin sockets in the metal. Less time on the assembly and cleaning = more time on converting.
The plastics, especially the gaunt and stealer ankles, just seem too fragile.
I have problems with my gaunt breaking aswell, eventhrough I treat them really kindly they keep breaking, but I have the same problem with almost all my models except for my beloved stealht suits (thx metal)
I have had to use a good bit of green stuff to hide the seams on the new Carnifex. The two at the very back of the carapace (where the three main body parts join) and also the seams along the spore vents up the back. The latter are the worst. I've tried all sorts of prefitting and light cutting to get everything to fit together better. No dice.
Had much the same problem with the new Hive Tyrant. Right along the back of the carapace, where the three parts join for the body. It was the same in the wells for the lower torso and head too, but gap filling superglue got those.
The good news is that, with a bit of green stuff, some smoothing and a tool or two, it looks fine. The bad news is that I have built four Carnifexes and will probably do two more yet.
Glue pennies to the bottom of your hormagaunt/gaunt bases for added weight.
Glue the entire foot of the gaunt to to the base. (not just that thin strip of plastic). breaking at the ankle is still a problem.
As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.
Yes, I have had this problem with Hormies many a time myself.Originally Posted by Arakiaz
SOLUTION, (said in a big booming voice). Take a pince vice, drill throught the base, aiming to go throught the slotty thingie, the foot/hoof, into the leg, about mid calf, (if it comes out the knee, you've gone too far). Take a pin, (I use paperclips), and insert it into the hole. Then, take all the shavings and scrapings from cleaning the minatures, pour some polystyrene glue into the hole anlong with the shavings. This seals the hole and LOCKS the pin in place. When it sets, the ankle is now as strong as the paperclip. It works quite well, it just takes much practice to seal the pin and hole, (it's kinda like using white glue and sawdust to hide a nail hole).
A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry