Ethereal - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethereal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ethereal

Is our Ethereal worth taking? I think he's well worth it, as i feilded one in my last game and he was helping my sqauds make themselfs useful.

The following was an outstanding repsonce in the Thread "Broodlord and his BS skill"

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Well, you never know... it might come in handy if he decides to throw a dead Guardsman at someone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

It depends. In a static list, he's worth his points, since he allows your firing line to hold better. In a Mech list, he's more of a liability. In a mixed list, not really. He's just too vulnerable.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Well, I really like the guy.

I've played plenty of games with him in my mech list with 5 skimmers. He died twice, both when I was still trying to figure out how to use mech tau. So he's quite easy to keep alive. He's just pretty much useless, since you hardly take any ld tests anyway.

I think he is very useful with 3 units of fire warriors or more.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Etherals are pretty much standard on all my list Mech or Static. His use runs deeper then simply making morale checks, though they are extremely useful just for that. You can also use them to FAIL morale checks. Why, You ask? If its one thing Ive learned about Tau is they dont like bad guys in CC, not because Tau suck in CC, but that they CANT SHOOT anything in CC. If your FW squad is assualted, the best thing you can do is let your FW die before the turn in over(as unfluffy as that sounds). That way you can light up the assualting bad guys during your next turn, if your FW stay in combat and then lose during your turn, your opponet has a "free move" to another squad.

Ethereals are really useful when....

-you have 2+ FW squads or stealth suits squads
    -Broadside or Crisis suit team of 2 or more members (it sucks when your two Broadsides run away if you lose one)
    -Bonded teams

The hardest thing to learn with them is keeping them out of danger, but they are extremely rewarding and helpful to play with if you keep them alive.

Ethereals are a tad like kroot and Stealth Suits, they have a bit of a learning curve but once you learn to how you use them correctly they will become standard on your list.
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

In my opinion etherals suck, if used well they'd be good but for me they're just too much of a liability. It really depends who you are playing. Anything that has infiltraitors or eldar with mind war means that etherals are a no no. It's really just your preference though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Can an ethereal be mind war'd if he is not the closest and not in a unit?

Fury of The Ancients is nasty for ethereals.

At the same time, Fear of the Darkness is an extremely good reason to take one.

I was asked once if an ethereal should be taken if a librarian had both these powers. I ansswered yes. What do you think?
    Last edited by onlainari; August 30th, 2005 at 15:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Badger
    Etherals are pretty much standard on all my list Mech or Static. His use runs deeper then simply making morale checks, though they are extremely useful just for that. You can also use them to FAIL morale checks. Why, You ask? If its one thing Ive learned about Tau is they dont like bad guys in CC, not because Tau suck in CC, but that they CANT SHOOT anything in CC. If your FW squad is assualted, the best thing you can do is let your FW die before the turn in over(as unfluffy as that sounds). That way you can light up the assualting bad guys during your next turn, if your FW stay in combat and then lose during your turn, your opponet has a "free move" to another squad.

Ethereals are really useful when....

-you have 2+ FW squads or stealth suits squads
    -Broadside or Crisis suit team of 2 or more members (it sucks when your two Broadsides run away if you lose one)
    -Bonded teams

The hardest thing to learn with them is keeping them out of danger, but they are extremely rewarding and helpful to play with if you keep them alive.

Ethereals are a tad like kroot and Stealth Suits, they have a bit of a learning curve but once you learn to how you use them correctly they will become standard on your list.
    I also find using ethereals to fail morale checks can be quite the useful tactic. I almost always take an ethereal unless for some reason or another i decide i want to use two commanders

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aun'shi is better in all ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aun-shi is the richboy's ethereal. I'll use a standard ethereal if i'm short on points.

Caz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Prometheus
    Aun'shi is better in all ways.
    Unless your opponent doesn't give you permission to use him.
    Kais Kauyon Tash'var Battle Record
    2/1/0

Waaugh! Shizgrak Battle Record
    2/4/0

W/L/T

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast