Scourges - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scourges

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, I am a regular Tau player, but I have started a new DE army. I want to play an army that is quite different. I welcome suggesttions. I have read some threads and have noticed some trends. Feel free to correct my misconceptions.

Good:
    Wyches and Warriors, Raiders, Reavers, Archon

So-So:
    Haemonculus, Incubi, Warp Beasts, Hellions (what about newer rules for disengaging?)

Questionable:
    Mandrakes, Scrouges

Some people say don't take a retinue for the Archon, other do. I am interested in the pros and cons for each and then I can decide.

I will say the mandrakes didn't jump out at me as the unit to take, but maybe I'm missing something. At first glance the Scourges lookd questionable also. They have good movement but are a heavy support. Dark lances on a mobile heavy support unit like scourges seems a little self defeating. Still I can see a use. What about a squad of 5 and give 4 of them splinter cannons? That's 16 shots in a hurry. Isn't a splinter cannon an assault 4 weapon? It may be a one way mission though.

Warriors look like they might be set up a little like the IG using the heavy weapon platforms in squads. The DE warriors use the Dark Lance. Is that correct? They look like the backbone of the army.

Thanks for reading.

TauofWar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings,

I am not a vet DE player or anything like that and alot ppl at my local hobby shop ridicule me, but I'll give my opinion anyways.

Archon- I always put him on a bike beefed up( must take shadowfield) and he goes independent character hunting. IF you send him around alone DO NOT EVER CHARGE A LARGE UNIT! odds are with alot of attacks the enemy will hit and wound you and means you have to make more saves and well you probably will fail the shadowfield eventually then hes toast verse most armies ( guns with ap5 kill him......... not good).

Warriors- I myself have 2 large units setup for close fire fight ( splintercannons) and hth. Then have a supporting unit the dark lances. Most ppl tell me to mount things in raiders but so far i haven't found the need to, they are fast enough on foot. IMO warrior squads are the backbone of DE, well warrior squads or Raider squads whichever you prefer.

Mandrakes- I like mandrakes OK, but i find that they are mostly good at scaring your opponent and attacking small heavy weapon type squads/tau/ig.

Scourges- I will never field a squad with Dark Lances but I like the idea of 4 splinter cannons. I think if they had splinter cannons they should be used to support one of your hth units. Scourges blast at an enemy then the hth unit assaults and kills the remains.

I am in no way claiming to know what im talking about or anything these are just my opinions. I hope a veteran DE player will help you out. I have never fielded an Archon with retinue so i couldn't tell you pros and cons. Sorry i couldn't help per say, but i hope what i said helps a little..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, im a vet de player (though i have taken some big breaks) been playin em for 4 years! but not many fights! but Sourges, i like to combine em wiht webwayportal and 2 talos!! that way, your heavy can move in behind the enemy!!! or combine it with some raiders! crossfire! make your Sourges deep strike behinde enemy units! and use webway portal and then make crossfire!!!! evil!"
    Mandrakes are cool cause of their special rule!!! hidden deploment!!!!!

but what i like most are wyches or grotesque!

wyches cause if you fit them with wych weapons they are evil!! REAlly evil
    and you cant hit grotesque with s 5 weapons or lower!!!
    sooo dark eldar is a strange army from when you plaed a camper army!!! D. E are a fast mobile army!!! and though Dark lances are heavy! they instakill almost everything plus hteir special rule against tanks!!!
    armor 12 and above count as 12
    well wont say more
    but dark eldar is usaly a underestimated army!!!!
    or so i foubnd out
    im prolly the only dark eldar army player!!!!
    but fun to see the glare in my opponets when they see my deadly army!! that i keep making changes to!!! just so funny when you see a psace marine player so confident he will take out my army!! well he forgot my mandrakes!! and my sourges with webway, and 2 talos!!! 4 raider with 10 warriors plus 2 20 warrior squads with splinter rifles and 1 hq with 5 incubis!!! well he has to have the shadow field! and argoniser!!! but i can fit it into a 1500 pts. army!!!!
    damh did i whoop his ass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Guys, keep those suggestions coming. I forgot about Grotesques. What about a small squad of 5 Scourges with Splinter cannons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well never tried em with splinter cannnons! but when i play with sourges i equip 4 of them with dark lances!!! tank buster squad!! though they may only live 1-2 rounds! chey can bust every tank they come up against! but grotesque use em as shields!!! no s5 and below can hit them!!!!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Sure, four lances protected by grotesques are lethal for tanks...but have a look at the alternatives and at the cost.

With a grotesque shield you give up the scourges only strength, their reliable 12" move (not that you would use it often with lances though), because the grots can't keep up with them.

Then, why would you want 180pts of scourges with 75+pts of grotesques and a character to lead them when you can have two sniper squads?
    The protected scourges would cost about 280pts, with two sniper squads you get four lances for 200pts. They also can operate independently and eventually destroy two tanks per turn while the scourges will overkill one, they can FoF, so they are almost as fast as scourges (and have less problems with difficult terrain), and they have meat shields who are also armed with splinter rifles.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know that sourges has high cost! but i ment the grotesque for warriors!! or wyches or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am learning new ideas about how to use the DE. I love my Tau, but I really look forward to mixing it up with the DE. A whole new way of playing. Thanks for all the input.

TauofWar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

uh astroth im courious whats a sniper squad

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Sniper squad=ten warriors, two lances.
    They act like snipers, stay behind and take pot shots. With eight meat shields they can take some damage, and most shots against them will be heavy weapons (due to the range) - these heavy weapons don&#39;t shoot other "juicier" targets then.
    Eight DE meat shields are better than four marine meat shields in a devastor squad, as most weapons with a sufficient range will wound on 2+ anyway, and don&#39;t allow armour saves. It&#39;s better to lose a cheap warrior than an almost twice as expensive marine

Such sniper squads have a certain psychological impact, as they are hard to reach, and they have a good firepower against armoured targets. At equal points, two sniper squads pack a similar punch as a davastor squad, but as mentioned they have more meat shields and due to the number of warriors they even stand a chance in close combat if necessary (if you keep two sniper squads together).

They&#39;re great in limiting the movement options of enemy vehicles, that helps you a lot in order to maneuvre around the enemy army. They make it a lot harder for enemy fast vehicles such as landspeeders to annoy you: If it moves out of its cover in order to attack one of your raiders it will probably be in a position in which a sniper squad can draw LOS to it.
    The opponent will rarely be willing to move a landspeeder to a position where two lances can shoot it in order to attack a raider - if it succeeds, then it will probably be shot down by the sniper squad. If it fails, then it can be shot at by both the sniper squad and the target raider and its passenders. That usually results in a destroyed landspeeder. Few marine players are used to sacrificing their units and especially vehicles like this.

jwu

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast