Are Ethereals Any Good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Ethereals Any Good?

Are Ethereals any good? They don't sit in the ****pit of a battlesuit, so they don't even have a save, and they are utterly lacking in Railguns also.

Last edited by Halo 0001; September 11th, 2005 at 18:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Halo 0001
    Are Ethereals any good? They don't sit in the ****pit of a battlesuit, so they don't even have a save, and they are utterly lacking in Railguns also.
    Ethereals really depend on your list

They dramatically increase your Tau's ability to stay on the table, but how many Tau units do you have on the table?

If you only have one or two squads on foot, then there not worthwhile, but if you have a stealth squad, broadside squads, and some FW squads there definetly worth it.

In smaller games (500-1000) there probably not worth it, unless you have more then 3 FW squads.

In larger games(1500+), yes take one. You should be playing enough Tau units that he will save your butt. There not that difficult to keep alive, unless your opponet has indirect fire (rare) or really wants it dead.

Remember, Ethereals can help your FW LOSE morale checks too. This prevents enemy assualt squads from staying safe in combat for your next turn so they cant be shot at. Then you risk losing CC during your turn, and your opponets gets a consolidation move, a normal move, and an assualt move during his turn. If your FW flee during your opponets turn then you are free to shoot up the enemy squad during your turn. Seems like a better alternative to me. Unless you think Tau are good in CC.
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badger's got it.

If your FWs fall back outof CC and escape, bonding can bring them back to fight again.
    "I'd rather fight 100 Hammerheads than 20 Battlesuits" -Vinnie, an Ultramarine.

*Remember to use the Reputation ability! Click the yellow star beneath a name on the left side!*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i might just add that you can stop sweeping advances

1) if you remove all the combaties from contact with the enemy
    2) then you fail close combat (its a certain if you passed step 1)
    3) then you fail the LD test (very helpful to have etheral to help fail)

and then their cant be a sweeping advance tau get away scot free and then can bonded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Escape? Well, I guess...

I normally dont bond, my FW dont usually escape CC alive. An I of 2 does that.
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I find ethereals extremely useful when you get enemy into your spread out lines. You fail combat easier, and while losing a unit, you get to shoot at the enemy unit the next turn, which is really important. And if you didn't want to fail combat for some reason, then he helps for that too. It also saves on shas'ui, I don't see any point anymore of getting shas'ui when I have an ethereal, I either want to fail my ld, or if I have taken 25% casualties, reroll ld 7 is pretty good anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

I'll also add that the etherals may lack a save but they are independent characters so they won't get shot to pieces unless your a complete idiot. And yes rerolling morale checks is a great thing for tau.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Remember that they can also take items from the armory as well even though not many are usefull to them, drones can be good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another piont to avoid those dam assains have a fish that the etheral can sit in till the problem has been dealt with

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really. The devilfish in a deticated transport thus the only way to get an Etherial into one in to join him to a squad of Firewarriors or Pathfinders. Whenever the squad would dissdembark the Etherial would have to as well. The only concievable way of doing this is to have a min size sqiuad, attach the Eterial to it, and never have them leave the devilfish.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast