HQ on Reaver vs Skyboard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ on Reaver vs Skyboard

It seems that a lot of people like to put their HQs on reavers as opposed to skyboards. I personally don't think that it's worth another 20 points for the jetbike, but I'd like to hear others' opinions before I voice my own.

Dark Eldar: Showing the Chaos gods how to do evil properly since 1998.

Borrowed DH Combat Patrol 1W/0D/0L
    Dark Eldar 1W/0D/3L (partially assembled)
    Necron 1W/0D/0L (I got my 'Crons back!)

Moo is my new personal hero. Click Undefeated Dark Eldar and DE? Good you say? to learn why.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should anyone say anything if you wont.
    I will though. I l;ike 'em better because they are faster, give extra strength, you can use an __________ with them, and they look sooooo cool on 'em.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Catachan Devil; September 16th, 2005 at 03:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

The extra strength doesn't help if you're using an Agonizer. . .
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x2)

Be tricky and use a Punisher on a Jetbike... plus Drugs and the Animus Vitae = STR 7.

Otherwise I would prefer the Skyboard. One, you get a 5+ Invulnerable Save, which is better than that Crap Field. I say that because I hate that thing, all it does is make me nervous. But if you get enough attacks and position your boy clever enough, you can keep him away from getting attacked.. Use a Wych Lord or the Hell Mask. In that case, no Shadow Field is needed.

The modeling possibilities for a skyboard are nice, since the Board itself comes clean of all attachments. I used a Hellion Rider model and put him on a Jetbike, and it looks pretty fantastic.

Start with a Jetbike and jes proxy, if you get tricky enough, move up to a Skyboard.
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHats
    Be tricky and use a Punisher on a Jetbike... plus Drugs and the Animus Vitae = STR 7.
    Unfortunately the Punisher is a two-handed weapon and Jetbikes only allow one to use a single handed weapon.

Otherwise I would prefer the Skyboard. One, you get a 5+ Invulnerable Save, which is better than that Crap Field. I say that because I hate that thing, all it does is make me nervous. But if you get enough attacks and position your boy clever enough, you can keep him away from getting attacked.. Use a Wych Lord or the Hell Mask. In that case, no Shadow Field is needed.
    Where does the invulnerable save come from? A Lord with a Skyboard gets a 4+ save. A Wych Lord with a Skyboard gets a 5+ save (and loses its invulnerable dodge save).

EDIT: Sorry if I'm sounding like a nit-picking bastard in this thread.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ostsol: The skyboard gives a 5+ invuln 'jink' save vs shooting if it moved last turn.

Consider the two similar-performing Drachons:
    Drachon A (95 points) - reaver jetbike, agoniser, tormentor helm
    Drachon B (71 points) - hellion skyboard, agoniser, splinter pistol

As Ostsol mentioned, the bonus strength doesn't matter because we're using agonisers. So an extra 24 points gets a higher toughness, a splinter rifle, and the ability to turbo-boost at the expense of better armour.

Let's balance out our comparison to add a little perspective:
    Dracon A (95 points) - reaver jetbike, agoniser, tormentor helm
    Drachon B (96 points) - hellion skyboard, agoniser, splinter pistol, combat drugs

I don't think there's any question which of those two is the more terrifying to have charging your lines.

The decision is even easier if you don't have a shadow field, so the skyboard's better saves come into play. Since I usually see the jetbike on the second HQ in army lists anyway, it looks like a pretty obvious choice to me.

All that said, I'm speaking from a pure numbers standpoint; the reality of the situation might be very different.
    Dark Eldar: Showing the Chaos gods how to do evil properly since 1998.

Borrowed DH Combat Patrol 1W/0D/0L
    Dark Eldar 1W/0D/3L (partially assembled)
    Necron 1W/0D/0L (I got my 'Crons back!)

Moo is my new personal hero. Click Undefeated Dark Eldar and DE? Good you say? to learn why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x2)

snap!

Oh hellz of crazy I've been cheating mua ha ha ha! Thanks for the tip .

Yeah, as the others point out, it's aight to ditch the Shadow Field, but you have to be FAST! I use the webway portal and zoom straight out of it into assault on the second/third turn. MY DE ARE UNBEATABLE!
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anything on a skyboard in a dark eldar suck IMO

reavers all the way, they give a armour, strengh and toughtness bonus and a skyboard only gives a ++ save which is a 33.3333R% chance of saving a wound while your reaver has a 50% chance.

if you give a skyboard to your loard with a shadow field, he might have a 12% of failing his save, but his low toughtness will cause him to take lots of saves so theres a good change of failing. So over all a reaver is better

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHats
    Oh hellz of crazy I've been cheating mua ha ha ha! Thanks for the tip .

Yeah, as the others point out, it's aight to ditch the Shadow Field, but you have to be FAST! I use the webway portal and zoom straight out of it into assault on the second/third turn. MY DE ARE UNBEATABLE!

You can't carry a Warp Portal on the Skyboard - dude, you do have the codex right?

And no, I wouldn't give a succ or an archon an agonizer on a Reaver, save some points and just give him the power weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x2)

naw, bro, a footed haemonculus sets up the portal, the lord comes OUT of it. Best method of delivery, straight to the door without any interuption. I do my Wyches out of the Portal on their Raiders too. They used to Deep Strike, but then I had to wait a turn, which was risky, before I assaulted.

I highly advocate the use of the Webway Portal.
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast