Just picked up the 'Nid Codex.. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up the 'Nid Codex..

What are some pointers you can give me when going about creating a Tyranid army?

"They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--------Don't.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that was helpful. Anyone who isn't useless? I could use some help.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like to have a good balance between monsterous nasties and little critters. gaunts (any type) are good for cannon fodder and cc, while carnies and the like give decent support. remember to have enough synapse and keep them protected where possible. cc carnifex's generally aren't worth the points so shooty fexes are better. two twinlinked devourers works well on fexe's with enhanced senses. in a balnced army speed is also a key, for tying up units and blocking firing lines. good luck and happy hunting
    Marvus

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

The best bit of advice I can give you is watch your biomorphs. There are some really cool abilities that will increase the effectivness of units many times over, but they can get fairly pricey. You'll want to balance out your upgrades with your models. Marine killing Hormagaunts are great (WS, I, S upgrades, 14 points a pop) but at that price, you can't field enough of them to survive incoming fire and remain effective while still having enough other stuff to support/draw fire for them. The same holds true for all the Nids. Lots of shiny upgrades can make for very small forces.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, that's what i found out very quickly. also, keep monsterous creatures fairly cheap so u're numbers can be increased.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

working from experience (a 100% losing record) ill pass on the tips i have learnt.

dont go for close combat fex's. they are too slow to be of any use. giving them guns mean they can be effiecient killing machines from turn 1.
    raveners are fickle things. lots of people seem to like them, i dont. i have a horrible knack for just getting them into range and getting blasted by a random squad of marines (as such, NEVER deep strike them unless you are totally sure of what you are doing- it only leads to them dieing in horrible ways! HORRIBLE).

dont rely on the cheap gaunts for much. generally use them as meat till either the big boys can play, or you can try to win through sheer weight of numbers.
    give your warriors guns or make them leaping - personally i prefer guns, that way they can sit back from the action and shoot away. melee only ones suffer exactly the same problem of melee fex's (unless given leaping, that can help remedy this, though it makes the warriors much more expensive).

i used to think nids had the tactics of a stampede. after losing repeatedly i have learned that they require finesse and a fair degree of tactics. i would just say play and learn how to make them work for you.
    oh, and winged tyrants are evil. just dont rely on them. they have an unhealthy habit of dieing.
    Apathy is its own reward...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Ack!

Being able to legally use a Winged Hive Tyrant is probably the best thing since creamed cheese. I'm not sure I would ever go to a battle without one!

Anyhow, one thing to keep in mind when making a Tyranid army is that they are a horde army. If you are spending too many points special units then you are wasting points. I would try to have at least 50% of your army as just troops choices (Hormagaunts and Gaunts). Don't upgrade them any more than is necessary and use them to absorb bullets while your true killers such as Warriors and Hive Tyrant get into position to deal some choppy or shooty death.

Just remember: Horde horde horde.

+ Reply to Thread