Chapter Approved!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chapter Approved!!!

Hi guys,

Sorry about the slightly misleading title, no, I don't have a link to the Tyranid's Chapter Approved. Does anyone know when it's coming out? I can't really do anything without it. Firstly, is anyone sure that spore mines only use the small blast marker (we can hope, can't we?). I haven't thoroughly read through the barrage rules properly, I'll do that today.

While I'm here, I might as well pop another question : Are Zoanthropes really worth it, or is a nice, fat Carnifex better? (it's still going :mad: )

"If a ninja does anything anywhere it won't make a sound, but if it does it's probably gonna be the last sound you hear."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what role you are looking at. The VC+BS Carni is the ultimate long-range anti-tank unit in our army. In this role, it beats the zoanthrope. However, the thrope has thenasty warp blast that can do some short-range tank-busting and marine-killing. It also has synapse, so you can afford to send them behind gaunts of other troops and get close and personal. Each the zoanthrope and shooty'fex have their own advantages and disadvantages. Against non-power armoured foes, i think the shootyfex is better as the BS can cause some real havoc to poor save units (ie guardians). Zoanthropes are better against power armoured foes (as even the VC, in the hands of a shooty'fex, allows them that damn save, as opposed to WB which doesnt). Of course if they are a tank-heavy power-armoured foe, then take both.
    Last edited by Havarel; September 18th, 2005 at 10:03.
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

The Zoat's warpblast is nice, WHEN it hits. The reason I like Zoats is the reasonably cheap Synapse beasty, (with a GOOD save). I march them up the field in behind the wedge. If somebody fails a LD test, (assuming they're out of synapse range), they'll fall back into synapse range. And they actually kill stuff from time to time.

However, if you are looking for sheer killyness, avoid the Zoat and take the 'Fex.

p.s. no, I haven't heard anything about a 'Nid CA, (yeah, I'm kinda hoping for the return of the big blast for spore mines, doubt it tho).
    Last edited by THE Hersh; September 19th, 2005 at 16:42. Reason: oh, yeah
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Havarel
    It depends on what role you are looking at. The VC+BS Carni is the ultimate long-range anti-tank unit in our army.
    Really? I think that's a pretty bad combo for heaps of reasons -

1) - A bit too expensive for just one Carnifex. Sure, it only costs 148pts with enhanced senses, but that's a weak Carnifex. If you gave him all the extras (Bonded Ex., Ext. Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Regenerate), he'd be 238pts. I wouldn't give him all of those things, just a few, so that he'd be 200pts. That's still alot for something that only shoots.

2) - You have a tank busting gun and a troop killing gun. The BS may be Str. 8, but will not penetrate AV 14 armour. The VC on its own has a good chance of stunning a vehicle, no matter how pewny it is. If you only have 1 Carnifex, this would be the best choice, but why have one when you can have 2? Remember, you've ditched the Zoanthropes, or, if you haven't, do so for a tank busting Carnifex.

3) - Have 1 Tank Busting Carnifex and 1 Troop Killing Carnifex. The Troop Carnifex could have Crushing Claws, Barbed Strangler, some defensive stuff, and a large range of CC biomorphs. Remember, Reinforced Chitin boosts his T to 7, so that most troops can't touch him in CC .

The Tank Busting Carnifex would have a VC and perhaps twin-linked Devourers for light vehicles. A small squadron of Eldar jetbikes or something like that (I don't play Eldar, don't understand squadrons and jetbikes) should go down to 4 Str. 6 shots which are twin linked. The Venom Cannon would constantly firing at larger tanks, but, if a hazardous squad of troops got too close, the Devourers and VC could take out a 5 man squad with ease.
    "If a ninja does anything anywhere it won't make a sound, but if it does it's probably gonna be the last sound you hear."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had that 148 point gunfex take down 2 squads of slaneshi daemonettes all on his own. (I love demonic instability.) Granted in another battle I had him shooting at things the whole game and all he managed to do was take out a land's speeder.
    From the unspeakable cold of the intergalactic void, an immeasurable alien intelligence moves ever closer. Barren husks of countless star systems lie in its wake.

The first tendrils of the Great Devourer, a single entity stretching over light years of space and controlled by the immortal Hive Mind, have probed our galaxy and found it rich in prey.

It has begun to feed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast and Deadly
    Really? I think that's a pretty bad combo for heaps of reasons -

1) - A bit too expensive for just one Carnifex. Sure, it only costs 148pts with enhanced senses, but that's a weak Carnifex. If you gave him all the extras (Bonded Ex., Ext. Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Regenerate), he'd be 238pts. I wouldn't give him all of those things, just a few, so that he'd be 200pts. That's still alot for something that only shoots.
    I'd have to disagree on this point. 148 pts for 2 STR 10 shots and 1 STR 8 barrage per turn is a great deal, especially when you take into account that it can't be killed in one shot as all vehicles can. With this Fex variant there's no point to giving him the defensive upgrades since he's supposed to stay out of combat as much as possible - ext carapace would be the only one (if that). His primary role is shooting skimmers, troop clusters, and light to medium armor, although he can wack around a leman russ or land raider if need be, even with the glancing only

plus, he's assured of being able to engage, unlike a CC carnifex. i always take at least one, and he pretty much always makes his points back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think badzen has made all the points i would
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by badzen
    With this Fex variant there's no point to giving him the defensive upgrades since he's supposed to stay out of combat as much as possible - ext carapace would be the only one (if that).
    I have to disagree. I ALWAYS give my 'fex the toughness upgrade, (can't remeber what it's called, I'm too lazy to get the book out). But the immunity to S3 weapons makes a huge difference. If you are playing against IG it is almost mandatory, (nothing like having your 'Fex wiped out by flashlights).
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't give my ranged carnifex EC since he won't likely see CC and anything shooting at him will more than likely be AP2. I'd say either improved toughness or an extra wound. Extra wounds are always nice.
    From the unspeakable cold of the intergalactic void, an immeasurable alien intelligence moves ever closer. Barren husks of countless star systems lie in its wake.

The first tendrils of the Great Devourer, a single entity stretching over light years of space and controlled by the immortal Hive Mind, have probed our galaxy and found it rich in prey.

It has begun to feed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lasgun range is 12" shorter then the range of the VC and BS.

You only need to march a Gunfexfar enough so that he can shoot at the target vehicle. This "might" put him in range of flashlights.. but if hes in range of rank and file guardsmen (or even SMs) then its usually 1 of 2 situations:

Your front line units that were meant to tie up/kill his fornt line have died, in which case you have alot more problems
    or
    Your front line guys have tied up his front line guys, which likely means he doesnt have that many guys able to shoot at your 'Fex anyways.

24" bolters/lasguns are not a problem for gunfexs unless half your army has died. But in that case, your on the bad end anyways.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast