Rough army list (using Tau army box) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rough army list (using Tau battleforce)

tell me what you think of this small army using the contents of the Tau battleforce set:

HQ
    Shas'o
    -plasma rifle
    -missile pod
    -drone controller+ 2 drones
    -hard wired multi tracker

ELITE
    Shas'ui
    -fusion blaster
    -missile pod
    -multi-tracker

Shas'ui
    -plasma rifle
    -fusion blaster
    -hard-wired multi-tracker
    -target lock

TROOPS
    Shas'ui

11 fire warriors
    -photon grenades

Shaper
    -pulse carbine

15 kroot warriors

FAST ATTACT
    4 drones (for protecting HQ)

Total Points: 559

what do u think? instead of drones sould i have some shield drones insted?

Last edited by Frost; September 18th, 2005 at 11:47.

DOWN WITH THE FALSE EMPEROR!!!MAY HIS GALAXY BURN!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your avatar is waaaaaaayyyy too big.

But actually on-topic, not bad. There are some nitpicks that you'll hear about it, though, so I may as well go through them now.

HQ:

Drop the drones from the unit, they take away his IC status (BAAAD thing) and make him an easy target. Drones got shafted in 4th Edition -don't field them unless its in gun drone squadrons.

In lieu of the drones, consider a Shield Generator. That invulnerable save is truly divine on a unit this expensive.

Your weapon loadout and wargear choices look good.

ELITES:

You weapon choices are good since you don't really have any other antitank in your army. However, Shas'ui cannot take Hardwired support systems -they either need to be upgraded to Shas'vre or they need to be taking less gear.

Once again, dropping the drones might be advisable, and Shielding your Fusion-toting suit might also be advisable since it's going to be getting in close to enemy armor.

Also, are the two suits one unit or two? If they're two units, the Target Lock is useless. If they're one unit -why are they one unit? You have three Elites slots and only two battlesuits, split them up into their own squads. Crisis suits tend to work best in teams of one.

TROOPS:

I know this is all the box comes with, but your absolute first purchase after this should be another box of Fire Warriors. Two is prettymuch mandatory in any functional cadre, and many people will field three or four. The Shas'ui is probably a good idea, the Photon Grenades probably aren't unless you really can't think of anything else to spend the points on. At least, I've never used them.

The Shaper is probably not a good idea in a game this size. Not only is he worth another three Kroot, but the Eaters of the Dead special rule means that the unit can never pursue if a Shaper is present. If you're going to use a Shaper, make sure the unit has armor and Hounds (6 or so) to back him up.

FAST ATTACK:

Drones should never be fielded in units of less than their maximum possible (eight). With only four in the unit, their LD is only 4, which means that they'll very likely be fleeing after the first casualty and won't contribute anything but VPs to your opponent when they fall back off the table.

Now, notice all those drones you were using on your suits that I reccomended you remove? Use them to bulk out this unit, and you'll have a fast, effective, and surprisingly tough squad that can sow all sorts of chaos in your opponent's lines. Use them well.

If you absolutely MUST attach your Shas'O to a unit, make it the drones. It's effectively 8 extra wounds for him, and his guns can add a great deal to power to the Kor'vesa.

WHAT'S NEXT?

As I mentioned above, your next purchase should be another box of Fire Warriors. No matter what anybody says about Hamerheads or Crisis Suits or Broadsides, it is your lowly little footsloggers (wit' zoggin' 'OOGE guns!) that will ultimately win the day for you. They are among the best basic infantry in the game, and their weapons are simply amazing. Don't bother with the Pulse Carbines option, though -leave that to the Pathfinders and the Kor'vesa.

After that, you should probably look into some Heavy Support. You can go with Broadsides if you want to continue building the firebase that your Fire Warriors have already started, or you can go with a Hammerhead gunship if you want to start working toward a more mobile force. Personally, I'd reccomend the Hammerhead.

A third Crisis Suit for that last Elites slot should be on your list somewhere.

That should give you a solid force that sits (with a little point-shuffling) right around a thousand points. It'll give you a varied and balanced force that should be able to take on most opponents at that point value.

Good luck, good hunting, and remember: No action is wasted if it is action in the name of the Greater Good!

EDIT: There is a subforum specifically for Army Lists, so I'm going to go ahead and report the thread to a mod asking for it to be moved there. Nothing personal -it's just to keep everything tidy.
    Last edited by Straylight; September 18th, 2005 at 13:03.
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks this is a big help. I havnt yet bought the battleforce yet but im planning to buy it when i go to WH world in england in a few weeks. Do you recomend a stealth team (say 5) in a 1000pt army? i dont really like pathfinders they just dont seem to fit into my style of play. I like to play defensively.

DOWN WITH THE FALSE EMPEROR!!!MAY HIS GALAXY BURN!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you recomend a stealth team (say 5) in a 1000pt army?

I think that in a 1,000 point army you shouldn't use the points on a stealth team. Get more firewarriors and think about broadsides.

Other than that I like what you've done with the battleforce set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice work i like it
    like they said you should get another box of fire warriors (key unit, good guns, blah blah blah)
    after that, consider getting either a hammerhead or a broadside (hammer heads if you want the ordnance, broadsides if you're more desperate to kill tanks). Then buy another tau battleforce for more crisis suits and fire warriors and drones. if you like stealth teams use them too
    if anyone finds avatar offensive just pm and i will change it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to be facing a lot of swarm armies (Nids, Orcs, Guard, some Tau, ect), then taking a Stealth team is worth it just for the sheer number of shots they can pump out of thoe Burst Cannons. I generally don't take them un games under 1500 points, but I'd consider it if I know my opponent is going to try and swamp me with peons.

I like my Sealth units big, usually six suits and a pair of gun drones and I'll sometimes use the Shas'vre/Markerlight/HW TLock combo in the unit just in case they run into something that their own guns can't crack. (only happened once so far, but the Markerlight netted me a Demolisher's VPs)

FIf you're going to take a team, go with four or six suits -even numbers are better for morale purposes. Four suits is easier to hide, but at the cost of some of the unit's impressive firepower.

My favorite tactic with my Stealth team is to pair them off with a Gun Drone squadron and le the two unit run amok behing enemy lines. The drones can pin down whatever the Stealths can't kill, and most of his army won't even be able to see the Stealths.

Those two units working together can be such a thorn in the side of your opponent that he diverts a much larger part of his force than is really needed to deal with them and thus divides his army in the process. When he does this, have your Crisis teams and your Railheads ready to pounce, because he's just fallen for your Kauyon maneuver.
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

+ Reply to Thread