Tau grav platform? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau grav platform?

- me and my tau friend were talking the other day,and we agreed that one thing the tau need is some sort of heavy weapon in their firewarrior squads.
    -as a solution we proposed the tau get support platforms. you could buy one per fire warrior squad. they would work exactly like the eldar grav platforms which they can attach to their guardian squads. they would have a choice of a burst cannon, plasma rifle, missle pod, fusion blaster, or rail rifle, at an apropriate cost.

- my questions.
    1. is it a good idea in general aka, fit with the fluff and be reiativly balanced
    2. how much should it cost, the base platform, and each of the gun upgrades.
    3. should their be a greater or fewer number of weapons options, and should it have a twin linked option.

Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with the Tau is that they don't really have and infantry-portable heavy weapons. They go from Pulse Rifles to suit-mounted systems, and from there straight to Railguns.

I don't think a grav platform is necessary or fitting with a Tau army. Squad support weapons are a human tactic that exists today, but there's nothing that says the Tau have ever thought to develop this tactic. They see their Pulse Rifle as an adequate infantry weapon (they're right) and see no reason to suppliment their squads with weapons that battlesuits can wield more effectively anyway.

The concept of having support weapons in a squad is to allow that squad to operate more independently of the rest of the army. This seems to contradict the Tau way of making war completely: why would a single squad need the ability to operate independently when it will always have the support of other nearby units?

Anyway, that's my take on the fluff side of it. I'll leave the number crunching to those with far more mathematical savvy than I.
    Looking for a 40K group near Tacoma, WA.
    Know one? In one? Want to start one? Drop me a PM.

Libertas Inaestimabilis Res Est.
    Liberty is a thing beyond all price.
    Observe impartially, record accurately, report truthfully.
    --Journalist's Creed

D e F Y
    GRAVITY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Hmmm, I don't think tau need heavy weapons. Their special weapons survive quite well on crisis suits considering their jump shoot jump ability. And fire warriors have high enough strength to hurt most things anyway. Tau is just different, you don't need to compare them to another army. For tank killing weapons, we've got railguns, the best antitank gun in the game (taking range into account).
    Last edited by onlainari; September 19th, 2005 at 04:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that it is more likely railrifles will become a option like pluse carbines and they will create a new unit just armed with rail rifles.

thought about tau i dont think we need heavy wepoans in our fire warriors to win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-They would mainly help with necrons, or any other high armor oponents, where the tau just couldn't pack enough armor piercing shots in on the crisis suits. the thing with the tau is that crisis suits, and ion heads are the only units that pack multi shot armor piercing, and sometimes they just arent enough. having support platforms would really help fire warriors do something against armies whose armor they couldn't pierce.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

If you do try that, the general concensus was that Heavy Weapon Drones would be suitibly Tau-ish, without the special take-the-bullet-for-the-Tau rule. Plus, it'd be the easiest to convert.

As for cost, I'd just say to use the Crisis/Pathfinder upgrade cost, and add 5 points. The Drone would be the standard Drone stats, with the exception that they're now BS3 and not Twin-Linked, and wouldn't be destroyed if all the Fire Warriors in the unit died.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play guard and i dont think you need man portable h weapons.
    3 pulse rifles is roughly equilvent to an h bolter. your suits carry the h weapons. however i will agree some sort of man portable anti tank weapons is in need. railguns DO fail from time to time. even at s 10 you still only have a half chance of glancing.
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by jancz
    3 pulse rifles is roughly equilvent to an h bolter.
    Um...
    3 Pulse rifles has 3 S5 AP5 shots out to 30'', or Rapid Fire.
    A Heavy Bolter has 3 S5 AP4 shots out to 36".
    3 Pulse Rifles =/= Heavy Bolter. Not even close.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Yeah, it's close. Against marines it's the same. Against guard it's the same. Of course there's the huge difference of pulse rifles being rapid fire 30" and the heavy bolter heavy 1 36", but that's what good about tau, they're different.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Ah! A subject to post about my 'fanatical' beliefs (as I'm sure some LOers see it!)

Tau Fluff generally leads to the fact that each unit is supposed to have a purpose (In General!)

Pathfinders are meant to light up targets, not really carry Rail Rilfes IMO. Broadsides to take out tanks (The SMS is defensive) ect ect.

So, by giving tau Fire SQuads an heavy weapons platform (Like Eldar) means they could waste a turn of shooting with all the weapons in the squad BUT one, say at a Tank. You want a Tank taken out get a Hammerhead, Broadside or properly equipted Crisis suit to do it, not a Fire Warrior Squad.

So Weapon platforms = bad idea, no offence, but it's really stupid.

Rail Rilfes in FW squads: Closely related to heavy weapons platforms, thus I have the same belief, NO.

And when facing Space Marines or Necron, Load up on Fire Warriors, Crisis Suits, and Ion Cannon Toteing Hammerheads, cause the more you make them roll, the more likely The'll fail!

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast