New to Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Eldar

I'm a Tyranid player, and have been getting bored of basically playing the same game every time I play. It's always rush/eat/win most of the time. With the circle of friends I play with , it's all Marines with a necron and Tau player in there somewhere. I like Eldar, I like their models and have the Craftworld and normal dex. I am definetly wanting to do a Craftworld, and have been leaning towards Altaic (sp) Samm-Hann (sp) or Ulthwe (sp). I had considered the Iyandan..or however it's said, but Wraithguards and lords seem expensive for normal troop types.

Now the reason behind my post is this, I can kind of judge what a world is supposed to play like by reading...but I would like to know anything that I might not know by reading. Any experiences people might have with either of the Craftworlds, what to expect or what not to, pros vs. cons of each etc, just general helpful info.

I was also wanting to fit some Harles in there somewhere, not alot but I really like them

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People don't like playing alaitoc rangers because they don't like losing, It's a common stereotype that they're cheesy/beardy whatever. In actual fact they are a very difficult army to use. Any idiot can build the 11 disruption roll list. But it takes real skill to use a pretty ranger and pathfinder based list (big squads not lots of small squads) and get a result against a mechanised company

(I scraped a 13-7 win by 6 VP's and I was extatic, before them game if he'd have said bugger it, lets call it 10-10 and go to the pub, I'd have said, too right! My round?)

Anyone who cries about starting in reserve should remember that in close combat what you have is a 19 point ranger rather than a 8 point guardian whose cc abilities are the same and should anything get into close combat with us, we are boned. Royally.

All it takes is first turn and a rhino full of Khorne Berzerkers and then it could turn very nasty very quickly
    Last edited by El-Kingo; September 29th, 2005 at 19:18.
    "Ah.. i'm almost done with these 3rd quater spreadsheets and still no sign of.."
    "What, is up, my dog?"
    "Ughhh I'm not your dog"
    "Waterman, you crack me up! that's why you're my D-O-G-E"
    "Your Doge? What are you talking about? I'm Strong Bad Waterman works in retial shipping resources"
    "Ah-ha Good one waterman, I mean good one MY DOG"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've always like ulthwe dunno why they just seemed cooler
    i love to use seer councils but they can get a bit expensive

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I'm sorry i've really had enough of this post. searching is very easy. even on the first page is covered in posts like new to eldar so please look at them. Man we really need some variety or something on the eldar forum. everything is either help me or new codex things :mad:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or...you could just ignore the post and get on with your life instead of complaining about it. I didn't wanna go by the old stuff....I wanted peoples opinion that were currently reading the boards. If I wanted to get the opinions of month old threads then I would. Why do people complain so much about threads they don't like? Just pass them by, SOME people have yet to experience everything the board has to offer...that being an up to date conversation. Excuse me for being hostile...but if youve had enough of the thread, why did you bother to even type that? I don't see how this is worse than the thread about stopping Eldar you created, at least this has some creative, positive imput from fellow players. But whatever...lock the thread...I don't care.
    Last edited by Loestal; September 30th, 2005 at 05:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

We should be glad someone is posting at all, but take a look at the Space Marine forum and see how far they have fallen into decadence.

But this is a tricky question, it is all about your playing style. I play Ulthwé and Ulthwé Strike Force, i like them because the Ulthwé colour scheme is quick to paint and i like the style. The Strike Force was a later add-on to add some variety in my games, i can use almost the same models for my Ulthwé as for my Strike Force.

Once upon a time i played Biel-Tan, but i was a newbie back then and it didn't fare well at all. I had small squads of aspect warriors, except my Banshees and Dire Avengers. Nothing good came of that, but when i took up Eldar again i didn't have to start from scratch anyway.

El-Kingo pretty much covered Alaitoc.

Saim-Hann is best played with Vypers. The more Vypers you use, the cheesier the army is. I like jetbikes, i use them in my USF, but i can't really see them be very good in a normal army. One small squad maybe, and a Farseer on jetbike. A falcon. A squad of spiders.

It all comes down to you, take a look in the eldar army list forum to see some examples of lists from different craftworlds.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I didn't like about Samm-Hann was the messed up force organization chart. A few other things...does anyone ever recomend playing any Harle models? I like the Solitaire and Death Jesters...but I can't realy find a place for them in any army list.

I also find that Eldar have little tank busting units, or maybe I just havnt discovered it yet. So what do you guys recomend for destroying vehicles besides brightlances?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Loestal, you're leaving the Great Eater, I'm devastated, oh, well, I'll get over it...OK, I'm over it. Anyway, Harlequins are a separate army, the list can be found on the GW website. They are a VERY damgerous army. In V2 and 3 they are the only army that consitantly beat me. They have a lot of invulnerable saves, but, no regular ones. The are deadly in CC, but, just as fragile as regular Eldar. They are probably the hardest race to use, (harder then Dark Eldar). They are quite possible also the smallest army around, (as in points wise they may be the most expensive, very elite).
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Loestal
    I also find that Eldar have little tank busting units, or maybe I just havnt discovered it yet. So what do you guys recomend for destroying vehicles besides brightlances?
    Besides Bright Lances? Bright Lances are best against AV13+ vehicles, against weaker armour you can use most str 6 weapons. Warp Spiders are pretty good at hunting light vehicles, as well as Vypers with 2 shuriken cannons. Fire Dragons may seem tempting, but they're better off against heavy infantry.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Loestal
    Well... aside from being possibly the best tank busting race... yeah.
    I use meltabombs, fusion guns, haywire grenades, death spinners, shurikan cannons (not all tanks have AV14), bright lances, and pulse lasers. Oh, and starcannons when they aren't busy.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast