How To Beat Space Marines With Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Do You Beat Space Marines With Tau?

I'm collecting a tau army and my brother has a dark angels army. i'm determined to paint all of the army as and when i buy it, consequently i have around 700 pts of tau, half unpainted!

any hoo, everytime i play my bro's dark angels he pretty much massacres me and now i'm fed up with his gloating!!! How am i supposed to beat him?

Army list as follows.
    Commander shas'o
    fusion blaster
    missile pod
    shield gen
    2 x gun drones
    multi tracker

5 x xv15 stealth suits

6 x fire warriors w/h pulse rifles
    6 x fire warriors w/h 3 pulse rifles 3 carbines

1 x xv88 Broadside w/h multitracker

I know some of you will say that i need to drop the pointage of my elite/hq but they are the only units to do any damage, mainly due to the 3+ save!!!

If anyone has any tips/pointers on how to beat the marines i would be eternally grateful, as my bro needs to be taken down a peg or 2!!!

Last edited by Mikamilius; September 27th, 2005 at 14:08.
    The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikamilius
    I'm collecting a tau army and my brother has a dark angels army. i'm determined to paint all of the army as and when i buy it, consequently i have around 700 pts of tau, half unpainted!

any hoo, everytime i play my bro's dark angels he pretty much massacres me and now i'm fed up with his gloating!!! How am i supposed to beat him?

Army list as follows.
    Commander shas'o
    fusion blaster
    missile pod
    shield gen
    2 x gun drones
    multi tracker

5 x xv15 stealth suits

6 x fire warriors w/h pulse rifles
    6 x fire warriors w/h 3 pulse rifles 3 carbines

1 x xv88 Broadside w/h multitracker

I know some of you will say that i need to drop the pointage of my elite/hq but they are the only units to do any damage, mainly due to the 3+ save!!!

If anyone has any tips/pointers on how to beat the marines i would be eternally grateful, as my bro needs to be taken down a peg or 2!!!
    Let us know what his list includes then we can give some tailored advice, also have you anymore models available, or is the list you posted what you have available.
    I could give you some general advice but seeing as your wanting to give your bruv a kicking it makes more sense to see his list 1st

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bro uses
    commander w/h
    plasma pistol
    Lightning claw

6 marines w/h plasma gun
    8 marines w/h plasma cannon
    and vet sarge

6 devastators w/h plasmax2, lascannon
    and vet sarge

2 dreadnaughts w/h lascannon and cc arm
    The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

My bro uses
    commander w/h
    plasma pistol
    Lightning claw

6 marines w/h plasma gun
    8 marines w/h plasma cannon
    and vet sarge

6 devastators w/h plasmax2, lascannon
    and vet sarge

2 dreadnaughts w/h lascannon and cc arm
    Well with the list you have you need to target the Devi's with your Stealths and target the dreads with the Commander try to get behind them if possible but the fusion and MP should do of, I would recommend losing the Misssile pod and taking a plasma gun instead, its AP will be much better for killing the marines.
    The Tactical squads are not to important just keep away until you have sorted the Dreads and devi squad.
    Use the Broadside to target the Dreads and deploy him as far back as possible, remember it has a 72" range (this should ensure he cannot be targeted by the devi sauad).
    Once you have got rid of his dreads and Devi squad you can turn your attention to the Tactical squads, reduce their numbers with the Stealths and FW first and then hit the vet and commander with the heavy stuff (fusion and railgun insta kill t4 characters).

One last point lose the gun drones on the commander they make him vulnerable to mixed armour and majority rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

super stuff will try those ideas out, thanks very much.

My broadside always gets nailed though, usually in turn 1 or 2! Tried to counter this by hiding him a bit, but then he ends up being wasted points cowering behind a terrain piece.

will be getting some kroot on my next trip to gw, which will hopefully help me hold off those power armoured gits, giving my firing line (what little there is!) more rounds of shooting.

unfortunately i got the stealth team in order to play them as a kill team, when the rules were released and ended up basing an army round them. had i started off with the intention to build up a larger army, would have got more fw's instead, but hey ho, we muddle on regardless!!!

Cheers again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My broadside always gets nailed though, usually in turn 1 or 2! Tried to counter this by hiding him a bit, but then he ends up being wasted points cowering behind a terrain piece.
    This is why nearly every Tau player preferes a hammerhead w/railgun to the broadside: Better mobility and survival rate. Plus the Submunition shot i just lovely, although it won't help much against SMs. I'd really recommend getting a HH, although you'll have to re-tool your list somewhat to fit it in if you want to stay at 700 pts, since it is worth roughly double the points of a broadside depending on the specific upgrades you take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hammerhead would be useful, broadsides have there place but they are not as well rounded as Hammerheads (they are far better anti-tank units then the hammerhead). If can, use magnets to switch out the rail and ion depending on how many points you have and what your fighting. I use the Ion more then Rail, mostly becaue I play broadsides, so the 'head railgun is not as important.

Against marines Ion is your best bet, keep it moving and use its long range. If you give it a dispruption pod, your brother will have an extremely difficult time knocking it out with plasma. With plasma it will 6's to glance at only 30" (because of the disruption pod).

The dreadnaught (because of the lascannon) is the biggest threat to your Hammerhead, but Ion cannons can knock them out. Missle pods will be useful against dreadnaughts as well.

Dark Angels are not mobile army, make them pay for it.

Drop the:
    Drones: Allows Independant Characters to be shot at, avoid this
    Fusion Blaster: Its good, but plasma rifle would be better
    Pulse Carbines: Pinning is all but worthless now, range is to short

Other than that your have a solid list, plus Kroot will really help. Just so you know kroot do take a little time to learn how to use correctly. Dont discouraged when they get wiped out the first few times. Easiest thing to do is infiltrate them in trees and shoot.
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Badger
    A hammerhead would be useful, broadsides have there place but they are not as well rounded as Hammerheads (they are far better anti-tank units then the hammerhead). If can, use magnets to switch out the rail and ion depending on how many points you have and what your fighting. I use the Ion more then Rail, mostly becaue I play broadsides, so the 'head railgun is not as important.

Against marines Ion is your best bet, keep it moving and use its long range. If you give it a dispruption pod, your brother will have an extremely difficult time knocking it out with plasma. With plasma it will 6's to glance at only 30" (because of the disruption pod).

The dreadnaught (because of the lascannon) is the biggest threat to your Hammerhead, but Ion cannons can knock them out. Missle pods will be useful against dreadnaughts as well.

Dark Angels are not mobile army, make them pay for it.

Drop the:
    Drones: Allows Independant Characters to be shot at, avoid this
    Fusion Blaster: Its good, but plasma rifle would be better
    Pulse Carbines: Pinning is all but worthless now, range is to short

Other than that your have a solid list, plus Kroot will really help. Just so you know kroot do take a little time to learn how to use correctly. Dont discouraged when they get wiped out the first few times. Easiest thing to do is infiltrate them in trees and shoot.
    All good advice, but if your using 700pts your going to struggle to fit in a HH, if you do decide to take one I would recommend the Railgun, its going to cream dreads and the subs is better than people think for killing marines (but it is more expensive for your pts limit).
    Lose the Missile pod in a game of 700pts the Plasma is more usefull as most marine units will not have an INV save and with 2 shots rapid fire from the plasma and 1 shot from the Fusion at BS5 will reduce his marine units and HQ's fast.
    You have enough speed with the jump shoot jump move to avoid the slow moving marines, just keep your Commander away from those lascannons, keep him furthest away from them behind cover or behind other Tau units (use his IC status).
    Your most usefull unit is the Stealths, they have speed and firepower get them behind units and the dreads 15 STR5 shots will usually destroy a dread (rear armour), but concentrate on that Devi squad first.
    Do not rely on the stealths spotting rule to keep them safe, treat them as a normal 3+ save unit and get them into cover as much as possible, many new players rely to heavily on the spotting rule and lose their Stealths fast.
    Lose the Dones, get 2 more FW they will be more usefull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use this list or sumthing that looks likes it.

shas'el w/ plasma rifle, missile pods and multi tracker 85pts

10 fire warriors 100pts
    10 fire warriors 100pts
    7 fire warriors 70pts

broadside w/ 2 shield drones and controllers 100 pts
    hammer head ion cannon, bust cannons, multi tracker and decoy launchers 145

this is list 700points

keep upgrades low so you can fir more units in,

you could drop the 7 man fire warrior squad and 1 broadside to fit in 3 fire knife crisis suits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ReaverRider
    Use this list or sumthing that looks likes it.

shas'el w/ plasma rifle, missile pods and multi tracker 85pts

10 fire warriors 100pts
    10 fire warriors 100pts
    7 fire warriors 70pts

hammer head ion cannon, bust cannons, multi tracker and decoy launchers 145

this is list 700points

keep upgrades low so you can fir more units in,

you could drop the 7 man fire warrior squad and 1 broadside to fit in 3 fire knife crisis suits
    Are the shield drones really necessary? If you lose both, then you start taking man on your own tests. Losing one causes a morale test, is it worth it with out an ethereal

I think the stealths will be a bit more useful then the Broadsides (as much as I like Broadsides), against Dark Angels your not your win a sit an shoot stand off. I can see where your going with the idea and its not bad, but it dont think Broadsides will be able to eliminate marines fast enough. Using Crisis suits to attack from mulitple angles from behind cover will do more damage and keep your dudes alive. Dark Angels lack mobility, they can chase down a crisis suit, espically if you have multiples of them. Also, giving the the FW team leaders a Markerlight couldnt hurt, dont let the Dev's get cover saves.

Crisis suit
    Plasma Rifle
    Missle Pod
    Multi-tracker

Yes I realize its not as effective marine killer with the fusion, but it out ranges the Dev's, can take out or slow down the Dread, and wounds marines on a 2+.

It's your army, play what you like. Good luck.
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast