Librarium Online Forums banner

Necrons vs Space Marines?

12K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Chaplain Rickarus 
#1 ·
How do you think Necrons would fair against Space marines? Would Necrons Win or Even stand a chance? how about a Space Marine with Mass Devastors and Heavy Bolters??

#2 ·
Necrons do quite well against Space Marines, better than most.
The problem with the Space Marines is that they do everything well and have a tool for everything.

Where the Necrons do well is in their natural resilience. The average Marine can knock a Necron down, but it can always get back up. Plus, the Warriors' toughness and armor is matched or equalled by practically everything else in the army. Necrons are, despite their distinct lack of heavy weapons, also probably one of the most effective anti-armor lists, seeing as practically everything in the list can damage even the stoutest tank.

The Necrons fail when it comes to power weapons and heavy weapons, as many Necron lists will have only one or two. Necrons aren't great in close combat. Though they can get back up, their poor initiative means they'll get knocked down again quickly. Necrons also have a problem with Terminators. There are very few heavy weapons or power weapons in the list, so the Terminators will almost always get their save.

To beat the Space Marines, you'll want to start with a solid base of Warriors and Destroyers. Warriors will add much-needed numbers, and Destroyers are murder on Marines. Scarabs with Disruption Fields can take out the long-range firepower that the Necrons lack and that the Space Marines have in spades. (Predator Annihilators, Devastator Squads) After that, your personal tactics would dictate your army list.

I would not recommend the Nightbringer, Deceiver, or a Monolith against the Marines. The Nightbringer is not fast enough to keep up with the Marines, the Marines' leadership is too good to allow the Deceiver to make the most of his abilities, and the Marines can field way too many Heavy Weapons to keep the Monolith on the field for very long.

#3 ·
I have to disagree with you on the "no c'tan" bit, but only if he's not going to take a monolith or the marine player loves assault chaplins and/or terminators.

There is nothing in the game that is harder to kill than a c'tan. Nothing.

Which means that either of them can counter-assault assault marines and clean house, and turn terminators and the feared termie assault squads into hamburger with impunity.

Remarkibly, both of those named units can, and do, win necron vs. marine games for the marines.

It's all about how you use them. Personally, against marines, if you're planning to try out a c'tan use the deciever. He goes first, can't be assaulted, and Grand Illusion is just beautiful when they deploy the same number of units you do or less.

#4 ·
Marines generally are not a problem. keep your units in close proximity to a lord with a res orb and nothing will stop you.

The one thing you have to be aware of is Assault squads led by a chaplin. Litanies of Hate is rough, but in general you should be able to wipe out a squad without too much trouble.

Terminators can be a nuisence, but I generally pour alot of fire power into termie squads and watch them disappear due to sheer number of die rolls. if that is not your style, a unit of pariahs will make any marine player think twice about getting to close to you.

I have come across a number of marine plkayers who don't think much of pariahs, but if you expect to face terminators or chaplins, pariahs are the bomb. you may lose half you pariahs, but the result is just awesome!!!

#5 ·
-from personal experience marines are a pretty tough opponent for the crons. they can pack a lot of power weapons/fists into a list, and have a ton of weapons which are agreat against necrons. the necrons have a major problem with the marines in that we have nothing to pierce their saves effectivly. our standard immortals and destroyers are especially worthless, as they don't get as many shots as warriors, and both don't pierce their armor.

-i would suggest lots of warriors and a res orb or 2. also having ctan, and a lot of tomb spiders will be helpfull to actually be able to cut that armor, especially to deal with those annoying terminators. i would still not suggest pariahs, as they will be dead from plasma/melta/ rockets/ lascannons way before they come anywhere close to a terminator squad.

#8 ·
Necrons tend to do well in small games of 1,000 or less, which keeps terminators and tanks to a minimum. And while they dash to get in CC you can shoot them to bits and kill the rest when they reach your line. Spacemarines over-estimate their armour and get a sense of ignorance as they play against other armies, which you get to take full advantage of.

#10 ·
You can always use C'tan regardless. Since it has no specific points requirement/nor in the entry asy it must have opponents permission.

Though for marines, take scarabs for regular tac squads (as long as they dont have any p fists your ok) because scarabs do quite well tying up/killing them.
Take wraiths (at least 3) to be able to tie up any devastator squads that annoy you.
Otherwise just take warriors, as they are a good all around unit as they can pop tanks, take hits, and dish out nasty fire. Just have to watch out for those assault squads.

#11 ·
Immortal joe said:
You are talking about a c'tan , but isn't the c'tan a special character.
And isn't it that 99.9% of the games you play,that special characters arn't aloud.
So you can't use the c'tan on most battles.
No. That was 3rd edition. In 4th, you only have to ask permission in "special circumstances" and even GTs don't fall into that category. Friendly games certainly don't, unless you've both agreed that you have to ask permission.

#12 ·
True, in addition to using special characters, you don't even get dinged in tourneys for taking them anymore. used to be there was a check in the after action report that was for special characters. Not anymore. All there is now is a win-lose, comp and sportmanship check where your opponent rates you on a awesome, ok, or you blow type check.

Taking a c'tan is a good way to get a "you stink" on sports and comp.

#13 ·
Bane_of_the_Mon'keig said:
Necrons tend to do well in small games of 1,000 or less, which keeps terminators and tanks to a minimum. And while they dash to get in CC you can shoot them to bits and kill the rest when they reach your line. Spacemarines over-estimate their armour and get a sense of ignorance as they play against other armies, which you get to take full advantage of.

I disagree. I think 'crons are a large army game. The numbers allow us to use our Lord/Spyders/WBB roles to full advantage. More Space marines means more Space Marines, more 'cons means that it is harder to wipe out squads, two Lords bring more stuff to help WBB.

The larger the game the better!!

#14 ·
FXDX4 said:
I disagree. I think 'crons are a large army game. The numbers allow us to use our Lord/Spyders/WBB roles to full advantage. More Space marines means more Space Marines, more 'cons means that it is harder to wipe out squads, two Lords bring more stuff to help WBB.

The larger the game the better!!
But in larger games, the enemy will spend a comparitively larger amount of points on WBB ignoring weapons which are very dangerous.

#15 ·
Necrons function quite well in larger games, because that's where we are able to field all the cool, albeit expensive, units that we would ordinarily be restricted from taking in smaller to medium-sized games.

In smaller games, you're pretty much limited to Warriors, Destroyers, Scarabs, and a Lord.

In the larger games, you get to break out the Flayed Ones, the Pariahs, the C'Tan, etc. ...and you still have the hardest troops in the game.

Sure, the enemy will be fielding a lot of anti-Necron weaponry, but there will also be tons of Necrons in huge squads. I've played 3,000 point games where I've fielded upwards of 100 Warriors. That's still a lot to take out when those units are largely covered by an Orb-caddy Lord.

#16 ·
my two imperial cents

As a Black Templar player, I have fought the Necrons extensively, and they are hard as nails! Although the Nightbringer is a devastating force on the table, if it never gets within assault range, it can be picked apart by lascannons and missiles quickly. As for the WBB rolls, a vindicator tank firing large blast ordenance softens up the ranks (being strength 10 and all).

As for assault, a chaplain or commander leading a terminator squad in assault is a force to be reckoned with when in range (remember, necrons aren't the only teleporters.), with a vow adding +1 strenght at -1 initiative(BT only) combined with powerfists, this gives the 5-man squad of terminators a stunning 10 s10 attacks on the charge! Even the Nightbringer doesn't wield that kind of power!

#17 ·
-please don't be a thread necromancer, check the date!

-this thread was last posted in on october of 2005

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.