What made you pick up tyranids? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What made you pick up tyranids?

Hi all, I was really bored and began to wonder why all of you were drawn to tyranids.

My friend got me interested in 40k will all of the background fluff of the imperium and chaos etc. so I decided to play. Now, I'm a martial artist and have an affinity for CC, I asked him which army was good in CC. I now have a rather extensive CC nid army. 4-7 thousand points depending on how I play it.

As a side note, I'm using the older monstrosity rules to make a few monstrosities (obviously) The first one is now complete. It's pretty rough considering all I had to work with was some weird modeling substance that very much reminds me of a marshmallow, leftover bits, and some greenstuff. I dubbed it the Swarmlord, not very creative but fits it's fluff. If you'd like to know more just comment.

From the unspeakable cold of the intergalactic void, an immeasurable alien intelligence moves ever closer. Barren husks of countless star systems lie in its wake.

The first tendrils of the Great Devourer, a single entity stretching over light years of space and controlled by the immortal Hive Mind, have probed our galaxy and found it rich in prey.

It has begun to feed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm originally a SM player and was coming to the end of my 2,000pt army. i wanted somehting different to power armour and different tactics, but an army that looked awsome. i was considering doing an Ork horde army then these bad boys were re-released and i went WOOT. the new models are awsome u're army can be customized to fit any fluff. I like the models and the versatillity the list provides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started playing Orks back in 2nd ed and then changed to Blood Angels later on. I'm starting to write a book featuring aliens and so I decided to collect tyranids.
    3000 points Tyranids
    3000 Skaven
    2000 points Blood Angels
    1500 point Orks

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

When I started back in RT/early early 2nd, I was torn between Orks and Tyranids. I went with Orks. After not playing for more than a decade, a friend of mine got me back in for the 3rd edition years. Since I had already tried orks, I went with the Nids.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Always been a fan of movies like Godzilla, Aliens, Starshiptroopers so when I first laid my eyes on the Nids it was love at first sight.
    I still remeber the day when I saw my first Nid, a smiling carnifex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Well, the aliens films first made me take the step over the edge and buy my first nids, but i just chose the total opposite to my thousand sons - fast, and good in close combat. Shame i never use them now because i like my thousand sons sooo much
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I always thought the nids were cool since I read the rules in the 3rd ed codex. Origionally I was going to go mainly for marines with nids later, but then the 3rd ed nid codex came out.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that space marines are racist assholes
    Tau are weird
    Chaos and Dark Eldar are sick
    imperial guards are weak
    Eldar are goodie 2shoes
    Nids are awsome and very ugly.I have always liked the alien films and think that they are the best for expandability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tired of seeing marine, chaos, red corsairs, etc. in the area.
    Im sure its an easy army to play and win with.. but I dont feel like being like everyone else.

Eldar flavours only come in: poor and fromage - a codex I believe needs ballancing. Since I already knew some one going Eldar (now a 2nd) who plays fromage, I figured there was enough Eldar in my area.

I have a friend who plays ALOT of guard (hes working on his 3rd IG army), so I didnt want to move in on his specialization.

Dark Eldar have alot of potential.. but Im not experianced enough to use and undestand that potential - yet.

I was thinking Orks, as I loved Orks since the mid 90s. Sadly, the Ork Codex needs a massive update (sorry, IA trick-wonders arent enough) so they would not be my army of choice at the moment.
    At an auction, I could get a 1k Ork army, painted, assembled, OK (not bad, not great) composition, with case for $70. I still didnt bother getting it, as I just couldn't legitimize the purchase of an Orc army with the current state of their Codex. (I dont collect for collecting sake)

That left Tau, Necron, Tyranid, SOBs, witch/deamon hunters.

witch hunters = SOB + guard stuff
    Witch hunters or SOB in the future (I love their tanks, and I could convert between the 2 types easily enough).. but not first.

deamon hunters = SM + guard stuff.
    -> Boring.

Tau = expesive, reliant on goodies. horrible in CC. Its a trick army, with tricks that arent that good anymore.

Necron = space marines made out of lawyers apparantly. Res Orb and tomb spider is nice, but they have an odd structure. They need alot of Necron (rather then Pariahs, monliths, etc) to ensure they dont phase out. So small armies need alot of troops - making them feel like tough shooty marines. In the large point end, they have limited numbers of effective long range weaponry - a hinderance for a shooty army. Im sure I could make a nice 1500 pt list.. but thats about it.

Tyranid. Many MCs. Rending abounds. No vehicles, but lots of FoC CC guys. In 3rd Ed, they had nice shooting support (biovores). Now, they have Carnifexs as good gun platforms (though, they need point adjustment for TL stuff).
    I liked Nids, and Im still happy with Nids.
    The codex isnt as well made as Space Marines, and they've been cheated out of simple infantry (normal gaunts with SCs)
    But as a whole, I like them

The switch from 3rd to 4th made rules stratagy and army composition change, but I generally like the change. A local GW store had an auction, and they got rid of alot of 3rd Ed Nid stuff for cheap, so I picked up some stuff at a low cost too.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

I used to play Necrons... but, and I hope the Necron players don't hate me for saying this... MAN are they boring! Yay, you can tool up a lord... but he's only got a few options that're really worth taking every time, so you always wind up with the same lord for nearly every circumstance. You have to take the same troops every time, etc, etc.

I was playing them before they got a codex... and I was hoping that the released codex would give them some interesting features. When that didn't happen, I figured it was time for a change... and I had painted a Carnifex once in the past for fun's sake, so...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast