Hive Tyrant Configuration - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hive Tyrant Configuration

Hey all. I am a new 'Nid player and have read H0urg1ass's hive tyrant tactica. He suggests for the Ponderous ranged tyrant that the VC is the best choice, but then goes on to suggest that ST aren't a good combination with the VC. I was wondering what people's thoughts were as to what to put on a Tyrant with a VC. What other weapon biomorphs work well with the VC?

-FireDeth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

I would suggest a Barbed Strangler or a devourer. The Tyrant gets to shoot two weapons each turn, being an MC, so, if you want him to shoot, you give him lots of guns. On a Tyrant, I would not suggest another Venom Cannon. He is a good enough shot that I feel you would be wasting points, and oppertunities, TLing his guns.
    A little pain never hurt anyone - Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, if he is a pure ranged Tyrant, and already has a VC...then a strangler would be best methinks. I don't like Devs on something that moves so slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

You're right, he is kinda slow, but, I just LOVE the dev on a Tyrant, pure short ranged shooting nastiness, (IMO the dev on a tyrant is the nastiest gun combo we have, when in range).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough, but more thank likely you won't get in range because of how scared people are of letting the Tyrant get in cc. At least from my experiences anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VC and Devs, you have to march him forward, otherwise the Devs wont hit much.

VC and BS, and you can have him sit and fire - 36" range covers most things (and he can still walk forward)
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

92 (x2)

What can I say, I love Devs on a Tyrant, (my close combat winged Tyrant has 'em).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well see a cc Tyrant, makes sense to have devs because your getting in close fast and you get what....like 6 shots of living ammo off before the assault. Yeah, that is awesome...but again....for ranged Tyrant....VC and strangler is the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Hey, welcome to the forum and I hope that you enjoy your stay here. I'm very happy to see that you read my tactical article and I hope it was helpful.

Anyhow, back to your question. I think that the VC and BS are the best choice for a slow moving Tyrant (Ponderous Tyrant as I called it) because it has the range that you need to reach out and smack your foes around.

I also like Dev's on a Tyrant as The Hersh suggested, but I prefer them on a more mobile Hive Tyrant (Winged) than on one that is designed to sit and shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x1)

I have found that devourers and a venom canon are the best weapon for my walking Tyrant. At worst, I have always been able to start adding the devourer fire on turn 2, unless I am sniping at a tank or some such target that is hidden way back (and the barbed strangler will not help me there). The six shots (twinlinked) with living ammunition is very effective, whether the target is a single hard target or a group of troops.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast